Note to New Members ×

Camber

photodad2001

I just received a marginal sum of cash and.... I know it will not please everyone on this forum.... I have just purchased a "used" F2, 2005 model 178. (19.5 waist width... I was looking for 20+, but) I'll tell you all come December if camber truely does make a differance. I've been addicted to sliding sideways since 82 and don't plan on stopping till I die.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what year supermodel?

if it's one of the old ones it's more akin to a polaroid, the newer ones are pretty good modern board. get on a tanker in whatever size and vintage you so choose and honestly tell me a old supermodel does anything better other than delam and I'll call bull****. they however were alright in 1998. the boards did not really progress they were all pretty much the same, they stopped making them and they released a new board with the same name some seven or so years later that was nothing like the old super models in design concept. the new ones are more like the malolo or the fish than anything else. the first year burton made them it said right in the catalog that the boards were specifically meant to be the big gun in your quiver. this puts it in with things like the lib tech grocer/doughboy/skunk ape or rad air tanker. the new supermodel is a totally different beast.

Terje is on supermodels now? the last few bits I saw he was on a t6 and the other honeycomb job burton makes. Not doubting, just interested.

this camber thing be a dead horse

Well, what a total crock

I have all the supermodels from EVERY year they have made one

some have over 130 days, not one has delaminated or gone dead

I have a t6 which I did not like as well and I have fishes and Malalos

and NONE of them have any large amount of CAMBER, they are not even

in the same mold of course as the supermodel and wash out bad on backside so I have to stay a lot more upfront, really for powder anyway.

I can not tell any difference between the old and new supermodel but

liked the cascade as well when they did not make any supermodels for a

while...Maybe the Tanker is better I would not know nor do I need to.

The sticks I ride do all that I ask and my style is such that I do not need

anything else thank You.I have snowboarded for twenty five years and have

made turns carving in softboots for a minimum of 35,000 miles.

Terje is on a Supermodel or a surfboard and you will never see him.

Just like you will never see me as I ride primarily at Milkland and as Bordy

said it is a boring flat place to ride.

I just can not stand people with their "My way or the Highway" attitude

Well, what a total crock

I have all the supermodels from EVERY year they have made one

some have over 130 days, not one has delaminated or gone dead

I have a t6 which I did not like as well and I have fishes and Malalos

and NONE of them have any large amount of CAMBER, they are not even

in the same mold of course as the supermodel and wash out bad on backside so I have to stay a lot more upfront, really for powder anyway.

I can not tell any difference between the old and new supermodel but

liked the cascade as well when they did not make any supermodels for a

while...Maybe the Tanker is better I would not know nor do I need to.

The sticks I ride do all that I ask and my style is such that I do not need

anything else thank You.I have snowboarded for twenty five years and have

made turns carving in softboots for a minimum of 35,000 miles.

Terje is on a Supermodel or a surfboard and you will never see him.

Just like you will never see me as I ride primarily at Milkland and as Bordy

said it is a boring flat place to ride.

I just can not stand people with their "My way or the Highway" attitude

if you can't tell the difference from a new supermodel and a 1999 model then will be happy on ANY board thats soft, the old supermodels were pretty generic soft and long snowboards with a slightly big nose where as the new ones are a taper design like the fish and malolo but of the three is the least tapered.

I don't know why you're so upset, or why you have every supermodel from every year (the first few years they were all the same) but you best get over it or stop reading this forum. I was trying not to be a dick. see, what happens when you post on a public forum is people reply and you may not like all of them. I do it all the time and get plenty pissy here but I generally have a good idea what's going on with my own gear. I also eat my crow when someone schools me.

If you're not interested in any other boards why would you post here or read any of the posts here?

it does not take much camber it just takes some but boards with more seem to be snappier and hook up faster, that is not always a good thing but being super dead is not either. You may not like that but it's what I say and seems to be the general consensus.

[...]the old supermodels were pretty generic soft and long snowboards with a slightly big nose where as the new ones are a taper design like the fish and malolo but of the three is the least tapered.

I suspect I did ride every year's version of the old supermodels, although I didn't keep notes. I've never seen one delam although I'm sure some did and they would have been replaced by JB. My personal board (one of the first) still has its camber, although there's not much of that to speak of. Camber doesn't seem to matter much for powder boards.

I wouldn't ride one of those on piste; they're far too wide to edge sensibly, and the overall design, including the camber, just isn't what I want there.

if you can't tell the difference from a new supermodel and a 1999 model then will be happy on ANY board thats soft, the old supermodels were pretty generic soft and long snowboards with a slightly big nose where as the new ones are a taper design like the fish and malolo but of the three is the least tapered.

I don't know why you're so upset, or why you have every supermodel from every year (the first few years they were all the same) but you best get over it or stop reading this forum. I was trying not to be a dick. see, what happens when you post on a public forum is people reply and you may not like all of them. I do it all the time and get plenty pissy here but I generally have a good idea what's going on with my own gear. I also eat my crow when someone schools me.

If you're not interested in any other boards why would you post here or read any of the posts here?

it does not take much camber it just takes some but boards with more seem to be snappier and hook up faster, that is not always a good thing but being super dead is not either. You may not like that but it's what I say and seems to be the general consensus.

Yes, sorry

You are right I do not belong here

sorry to have upset anyone...

Wishing all good turns and lots of snow...:biggthump

I suspect I did ride every year's version of the old supermodels, although I didn't keep notes. I've never seen one delam although I'm sure some did and they would have been replaced by JB. My personal board (one of the first) still has its camber, although there's not much of that to speak of. Camber doesn't seem to matter much for powder boards.

I wouldn't ride one of those on piste; they're far too wide to edge sensibly, and the overall design, including the camber, just isn't what I want there.

I suspect most boards that never see hard pack will retain their camber unless you go over the handlebars real hard or land some big drops fully in the back seat.

too wide? not in softboots, they're pretty narrow for that.

A simple progression.

In the beginning a surfboard in a snowfield after couple of beers

Then a bizarre plastic skateboard catamarran thing that worked in the

driveway but slaughtered you on anything with pitch.

Then snurf some powder with the kids then the performer and then the elite and then cruisers and then airs and safaris and asymets and the first Supermodel was when I was able to peak with the style I was after...to surf

with no one else out, climbing and dropping from top to bottom...Pipeline

trestle, sunset and waimea but with no one else for years, This is why I see the first and my latest supermodel as a sophisticated piece of equipment.

Many Hardbooters have come and learned through the years and then left

I guess because they thought no big deal, there where almost none last year

except at SES...from the first day when some guy yelled Get off the hill with

that thing to all 4 mountains opening finally, it has been a great Joy...

just as I know it is for You .:biggthump

If this is about Carving then don't I belong here as well?

If this is about Carving then don't I belong here as well?

All are welcome here, but yes, this is a carving/hardbooting/alpine centered site and forum. So discussing the camber of supermodels in Colorado is off topic.

softbootsailer, if you're interested in alpine, I hope you stick around. thanks.