Note to New Members ×

whats the deal with all you guys and your alpine gear

skeez rule

ah, i was a skier first, and picked up snowboarding in about an hour good enough to hang with my regular group of skier friends, and they aren't slow. yeah i mean under control too, but i still ski and snowboard, having the alpine board i usually don't go to the hill without doing both, i mean, depending on conditions, it's either more fun to ski, or snowboard. as far as laying down a deep trench, thats way more fun on a snowboard in any conditions, but there are other things you can do on skis...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched to snowboarding. At the end of the first day, I was proficient enough to survive mild intermediate trails, but it took me considerably longer to learn how to carve.

Of course, after 25 years of skiing, it's still my favorite sport, but carving a snowboard offers up more exhileration on the groomers.

Originally posted by Jim Callen

Lonecarver- I had the same experience. I have a bunch of friends who are ski instructors, and they were amazed that I was able to carve on skiis my first day. Isn't it odd how easily snowboarders can take to skis, but how much trouble skiers have getting on a board? Wonder if there's a reason for it? Anyone have a clue?

Many of the minor movements in snowboarding are found as major movements in skiing, used in different ways, but its a similar change in body alignment. Ir it does not work the other way around. In fact many skiing movements we DO NOT want in beginner snowboarders.

*AASI level 1 with expierence teaching both sports.

Skis rule they are better plus the good ones have rad electronics so they must be better like those new Atomic bindings that say OK when you stepin fully worth all $999 that they cost so they must carve like demons

I can never respect snowboard gear untill it reaches this height of "quality"

I figure if you're sliding down a hill that's covered with white stuff - even if it's with a plastic garbage bag under your rear - that's what it's all about. I've skied for over 30 years, ridden freestyle for 3 years and hard boot carved for 2 years. Also throw in some tele action (yes even bumps & jumps), sleds, tobogans (sp?), saucers, innertubes, ski boots, Sorels, shovels, ...you get the picture! I may ride my alpine board today, maybe my skis tomorrow (if it was winter:( ) or maybe ski in the AM, board in the PM, whatever. It's all about having fun, and being with other people who are having fun! I would hope to see more people saying "great man, I'm glad your ripping on the twin sticks!" and "yo, you ripped the limbo at SES", or whatever. Chill on the slamming and focus on the fun of the sport we all enjoy.

If you aint havin fun, it aint worth doin!!!

Ride on

p.s. Warren Miller a few years back, was trying to address both skiing and snowboarding, skiblading and all the others. He decided to make it easy and call it "Snowriding". Not a bad idea!

Originally posted by C5 Golfer

Don't ya have to subract your own weight? That is if you pull 3gs and you weigh 200 lbs it is like squating only 400lbs?:confused:

Actually Al,

We already (at least most of us) live in a 1g world so you are in fact already pulling 1g or simply whatever you weigh. If you weighed 200 lbs and were to add two more g's you would be adding another 400 lbs of gravitational force for a net of 600 lbs. So rather than looking at it as squatting a 400 lb weight think about it as gaining 400 lbs distributed throughout your whole body. If you went to zero G you would be weightless and doing the moon walk thing ( Neil Armstrong, not Michael Jackson that is). Negative G's are the most uncomfortable of all- the guts in the mouth kinda feel when you are going over the apex in a rollercoaster or pushing forward hard on the flight controls on a plane.

Now what was the topic of this thread? Oh yeah- 70's vintage Bogner suit flame boy. ;)

Hey, Skeez.... almost twenty years ago when I was still skiing, if I'd had a truly limp wristed back scratcher pic like that taken of me in my nerdy looking "it's too cold for me, so I'll wear my mom's one piece" ski suit, I'd burn every available copy of it that I could find! It reminds me of Stewart on MadTv going: <I>"Look what I can do.. look what I can do..."</I> LOL! Lame, truly lame! <p>

Sorry, Jack.. sometimes ya' just gotta whip the trolls!

There's no reason we can't indulge ourselves in both pursuits (sometimes in the same day!). I split my time between the two and compete on both in GS racing. Double your pleasure, double your fun! As a point of argument, here's proof that that the board can carve better than the skis (at least for me!)

boardski.bmp

Originally posted by patmoore

There's no reason we can't indulge ourselves in both pursuits (sometimes in the same day!). I split my time between the two and compete on both in GS racing. Double your pleasure, double your fun! As a point of argument, here's proof that that the board can carve better than the skis (at least for me!)

boardski.bmp

Ditto!! See above

Guest Ghostrider

As I read through this thread...I can't help but think about the words of wisdom I once read from the sticker affixed to the mini deck of the youngest alpine board rider I've ever seen.

And the sticker read:

"Skiing is only for little fat kids."

Dude, i was a little fat kid, now i'm a big fat kid, that owns you through the gates ghostrider, all that chunkyness only makes gravity give me an advantage over you lol

wait wait, what are you doin in here anyway? shouldn't you be busy fixing youe site?

• 2 years later...
Actually Al,

We already (at least most of us) live in a 1g world so you are in fact already pulling 1g or simply whatever you weigh. If you weighed 200 lbs and were to add two more g's you would be adding another 400 lbs of gravitational force for a net of 600 lbs. So rather than looking at it as squatting a 400 lb weight think about it as gaining 400 lbs distributed throughout your whole body. If you went to zero G you would be weightless and doing the moon walk thing ( Neil Armstrong, not Michael Jackson that is). Negative G's are the most uncomfortable of all- the guts in the mouth kinda feel when you are going over the apex in a rollercoaster or pushing forward hard on the flight controls on a plane.

Now what was the topic of this thread? Oh yeah- 70's vintage Bogner suit flame boy. ;)

As long as we're getting technical, when you're squatting, you're not squatting your full weight. You're squatting your weight from thet waist up plus I'll estimate about half of the weight between your knees and waist.. So I'd say when you squat nothing, you'll be squatting about 75% of your weight. So then 3 Gs would be about 225% of your weight.... In my case I guess... eh, a little less than 340lbs...

Oh, not to mention the fact that you're not really lifting that weight, just holding it.

Also, squatting resembles sitting on the toilet... And we all know that's bad, so don't squat..

Keep in mind, I'm just trying to waste some time here at work.

I don't ski, but I board with some pretty good skiers.. Oh, and I keep up easily too...

Funny thing is that I think both are good. Different sensations from each snow tool. However, as a ski racer, I was introduced to alpine gear by a guy who would complete on the GS course against skiers, and out of a group of over 250 racers would usually end up in the top 5 on a weekly basis. There were a couple of nationally rated NASTAR skiers in the competition too, so the times were decent. The only reason he did not get 1rst place routinely is because he did not have poles to push out of the gate and he lost time on the top. However, he was ALWAYs faster through the mid-end course than any skiier. This fellow gave me my first alpine board lesson and I have a lot to than him for. Also, I took out my ACL during a fateful ski race, and found out afterwards that riding an alpine board was far less stressful on my knees, allowing me to get back onto the slopes very soon after surgery. This was not the case with softboots or skis.

Bottom line.....try it all! Do it all!

What do you have to lose?

Madman in Michigan