Note to New Members ×

Recommendations for my daughter's freeride board?

skategoat

My daughter races on a Prior WCR 161 but likes to tool around in soft boots. She likes to ride fast so I'm am going to look at freeride or AM boards in the 150cm range. Does that sound right? Is there any merit to women's specific boards? Other than the graphics?

I will consider Prior but wonder what are other good makes? I am at a loss when it comes to freeride boards. I want to avoid Burton because of the insert pattern.

She's 13 and weighs 130lbs.

my GF has a Atomic firestarter and loves it, it's sick. I've ridden the bigger model and liked it quite a bit too.

ladies boards are only good if the lady has small feet and weighs within a certain range....

she's small right now so I think a girly deck might do her fine.

Burton, well, most soft bindings have 3d compatible plates these days. Burton makes some slick boards so don't count them out if you find a deal.

What bindings does she have?

She uses Flow bindings. S/M size. Size 9 feet.

I have a credit at Backcountry so I was looking at the selection in their outlet. Does anything jump out at you?

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/subcat/49/Snowboards.html

I'd go for the Arbor Push but it's only available in 148cm. I think that's a bit short for her.

Rome has a good rep, so you might consider the verona, which is supposed to be an all mtn board.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/RDE0066/Ride-Verona-Snowboard-Womens.html

The Burton Feather is popular, and they have that in a 149.

The Burton Feelgood is an all mtn board that's good enough for Kelly Clark and Molly Aguire. They have that in a 152.

I'm sure Donek will work with you if you don't want to go Prior. It seems to me that Donek has a carve-centric philosophy across their whole line. I like that.

My wife digs her Phoenix. Hers is lightly customized... 8.5 scr and sub-24 waist on a 155. Perhaps that template might work?

ride fever 150 or 153, I'm very partial to Ride's I've liked all of mine

Atomic alibi, everyone loves them that has one

Never summer Pandora, Never summer has a outstanding build quality, they tend to hold a edge better than many alpine boards and are super damp and the boards are durable bastards. probably what I'd get her if she were my kid. three year warranty to boot

the burtons already mentioned are good, burtons tend to be pretty good boards even the lower end ones. Not super grippy not super floppy either. Of course they vary between models but generally speaking they're good. there's better stuff out there in the $500 retail price depending on what you want but it's hard to go wrong with burton, you probably will not get a dog in other words.

Since she's racing I'd bet she'd be able to handle boards pretty well, so even a little past 150 might be fine?

my final verdict, there's some great stuff there but I'd go with never summer.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/NVS0017/Never-Summer-Pandora-Snowboard.html

I have not tried Donek's equivalent so i can not vouch for it.

But I have put 20 instructors or so and at least five snowboard racers on Arbor Woodies for free ride. they have all loved the fact the "Woodies" will carve almost as hard as a race board even on New England clear blue "snow". If you have good bindings. Not sure what to use, PM me.

I just won't deal with Them (Arbor) because of a personal issue with their management saying one thing, promising one thing, and then changing the deal half way through to have a single major ski MT's entire 25 person senior and certified snowboard staff all on Arbor boards

But their boards are incredible.

So my next free ride board will be built by Sean when I get the $$$ together and it will be just as I want it . !/2 way between an Arbor Woodie and an Arbor wide Woodie in width but not at 166 or 172 but at my choice of 169 (Dense New England woods between the trails are involved in the specs.). Many other special things like non constant radius side cut and flex and some interesting torsional additions I have in mind from all my years as an engineer and 42 years teaching snow sports here in New England, to NATO standing forces in Europe, and In Colorado ( CSU man Aggies forever!!!!).

Sean if you are catching this would love to talk to you about a Hard conditions board that can handle New England Ice and close coupled filled with brambles glades and still carve on a race course and handle big POW.

The other consideration is her age. Arbor Woodies are virtually "BULLET PROOF" They last forever!!!!!!!!!!!

I know five or six of us who have 9 or more years on them teaching full time including riding in the trees. And all our boards are still going Strong except one. my Protegee finally after beating his wide up in the woods broke it dead center on a tree in the woods. It was a bout five inches in diameter maple and he broke the tree too soo.......(he is a mule or Moose as you may), Mine after 12 years of 2 g turns and my 6'2" size 50 sportcoat and 227 lbs ( I am naturally, genetically from my Mohawk mother, built like "Arnold S" with out ever working out) is finally loosing a little of it's snap. but it still holds true laide out turns on soft boots with my forearm on the snow on "blue snow", I just have to work the back foot a tiny bit harder than of old.

GWS :biggthump

Don't believe it can be genetic, ask for pics i'll post them.

I am filing a suit against the VA for the disability evaluator using my build to lower my

disability percentage because of my build. I consider it as racism since I have never lifted weights or worked out in my life.

GWS

EZE back me up here buddy. LOL

Thanks for the all the input. There are so many choices and every board claims to be the best. I know that's the nature of marketing but what drives me nuts is that all the marketing descriptions claim that every board is is good for everything - rails, powder, high speed.

Do the snowboard rags run any independent tests like the ski mags?

I am leaning towards Arbor, Donek or Prior.

Doesn't either TransWorld or SnowBoarder have a "Good Wood" board review feature late summer or early fall?

They've always had a separate section for women's boards, too. I've never seen them include custom builders, though.

I'll keep an eye out on the newstands. Found some old versions on their websites.

i've actually been surprised by heelside snowboards. for a barely out there name their boards are pretty darn solid. i was able to ride a 167 team something er other last season and it freakin ripped. it also allowed for nose butters and other bizzare stupid pet tricks. oh, and a certain coach/undeniable crazy rider has had his say in the tweakage of the boards.