Note to New Members ×

mmkeeehay

Coloradoking

started drivers ed yesterday; i'd rather be in school............. it's nothing but lectures for 7 hours 4 days in a row...... then i have to log 6 hours with an instructor, 44 other hours with a parent, 10 of which must be nighttime or storm driving. this is going to SUCK! mainly because even though i am a good driver i hate driving... my mom forgot money to pay for gas and i ended up filling up our car once... with my money.... 14 YEAR OLDS DONT PAY FOR GAS!!!!!!!!!!!... long story short i'm going to have to wait a little longer for that new set of slalom wheels (mine are getting pretty coned out; good for steep frickin' courses that no one can make, bad for trying to pump speed from a flat one). BTW (if you're not bola please disregard this statement) we've finalized the decision to get my little brother a long board for his birthday so i'll be into all boards soon to get that. i'll need to leave it in pieces so i can disappoint him when he only sees small presents; then i'll bring out the deck once he figures out that he doesn't have a board :eplus2:.

I do trust drivers that start out young though. The guys that grew up on a farm and had to learn on their own how to drive at 12 so they could go fix sprinklers on the other side of the field... Yeah, they usually end up pretty good drivers.

I can't believe you get drivers ed at 14. I didn't get my license till I was 17. I needed to be 16 to start drivers ed and, of course, I one month away, so I had to wait until drivers ed the next year. Then the driving with a parent and all that crap. Oh well, I have it now and I can get myself to work, so I guess that's what matters.

I second Jack on this one...no 14 y/o drive well

First off, you have an experience level measured in days or weeks at best.

Second, you're emotionally incapable of wrapping your mind around the fact that you are operating a deadly weapon- 2 tons of bone crushing steel and iron. The fact that you are b*tching about spending a few hours learning a skill that hopefully will prevent you from inadvertently killing someone proves that point.

So shut up

Here's another clue, your life will be measured in 8 hour increments for the rest of your life and most will not be associated with a fun activity like driving a car.

Hey, I was a good driver at 12 right!?

I could get a stick shift Honda to get rolling without stalling it, and I could accellerate and brake without squealing the wheels!

And I could go 30 in a small parking lot! :smashfrea

What kind of kooky driver's ed is that anyway? 14? I payed for all the gas my truck pumped ON the engine rather than IN the engine when the carb still had that nice feature. I also payed for the gas it pumped into the exhaust system. And whatever amount of gas it did burn, I don't recall what happened to that bit, because of how little falls into that catagory.

I say we raise the legal driving age to 65, yet revoke one's ability to drive at 64. That oughtta take care of our oil dependencies and high registration fees and high insurance rates. Oh yeah, and traffic related deaths.

My brother has been in 2 "Oh ****! He lived through that?!?!" accidents, numerous speeding tickets, and violations for tinted windows, which he insists on replacing OVER and OVER.

He's got a kid who just turned 2.

And my brother's age?

Nineteen.

Face it, we're a bunch of dumbasses :biggthump

Anyway, you're not alone in summer education. I'm talking 16 hours of Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR/Advanced First Aid, and then about 4.9 trillion (give or take) hours of Outdoor Emergency Care starting in August running through to November, and then another good bit of on-the-job training when the snow hits the ground. Then, I'll get to be a Mountain Host, followed by next season (hopefully) as an Auxillary Patroller, switching to Basic 2009-2010 season if not sooner.

You've got alot of years of driving ahead of you... You better be knocking on wood...

I'm gonna to be 25 and I've never had a ticket (got pulled over twice and the finger shake once) and only one (reported) accident, which wasn't my fault. Ok, ok, I've hit 2 deer, both of which caused enough damage to piss a guy off, but not enough to report to insurance. (We also live in a fairly dense deer population.) Actually slid through a stop sign and into a ditch once because I was being a retard and should have known that it was icy there cause I drove over it every day.

Some kids 'are' actually good drivers. Case in point - I used to autocross in the same class as the son of the car club captain, and he used to kick my butt - at 12. At that age you can get a full motorsport licence and race a car on a closed circuit or closed road in New Zealand. Ask Scott Dixon, last month's Indy winner - he should know, because he was doing it. Of course, these kids have been racing karts since they were five or six, but in regards to mechanical skills some of them are as good as some adults I know.

Do they have the maturity to drive on a public road? Totally another story...

no woman is a good driver. fact.

fixed :eplus2:

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=988596042774580136&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

ahhh, 15 year olds:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNd0_ctaOSk&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNd0_ctaOSk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Insurance companies determine their rates on actuarial tables, broken down by risk of accident/claim v. age/gender/tickets/previous claims

The insurance companies know who are the best drivers are.

And, sorry, to me, a former ER doc, you cannot separate maturity and skill. I see plenty of accidents caused by people who cannot think beyond their tiny little place in this world. A few of those times, other people die because of their short-sightedness and selfishness.

And, yes, I think you should automatically lose your license on the other side of the age continuum.

I drive 60K miles +per year for at least 15 years now. The thrill is long gone. As compared to other industrialized countries, the typical american route to a driver's license isn't especially arduous. I did not drive until I was 17 because my father flatly refused to insure me. I had to insure myself and while it was wildly expensive the first couple of years, it came with many benefits. I could only afford to insure an underpowered car and I established my own insurance policy (which I've kept in perpetuity). In my community (relatively small) 16 year olds in fatal, speed related accidents are commonplace occurences. Some have been at times of the night that suggest the speeding was in an attempt to get home by the time stipulated as a precondition of the licensure. A "provisional" license, so to speak. Unintended consequences. How about a license for childbearing/raising? Cab drivers, barbers, cosmetologists and the like need a license. Why not parents?

That second video is a good example of when it isn't worth risking innocent lives to catch a punk.

BobD

and cops being out driven by a punk.

LOL, not justifying what the kid did but the cops got owned on that one.

and cops being out driven by a punk.

LOL, not justifying what the kid did but the cops got owned on that one.

Owned? dude you must have some hate for law enforcement. Unless you have been in a situation like that and know something I don't I would say those officers handled that situation appropriately for the time period that it occurred and luckily no one got killed. This is a perfect example of why law enforcement has had to change its approach to vehicle chases as the risk of additional victims increases exponentially every second a chase continues. I'm curious as to what you thought the officers should have done to not get owned? Pull a mad max and bumped him off the road at full speed, or pull out a rocket launcher and open fire?

As for ColoradoKing, those classes, while boring, are to give you information that may save not just your life but the other people on the road too. The next time you read about somebody getting killed in a vehicle related accident, take a second to think about the effect on the victim's family, the parent that will never see their child again, the child that will not have that parent to see them graduate from school, to get married, be a grandparent, etc., the brother who won't have his best friend to hit the slopes with? Life is very precious my friend, and your at the beginning of it and your probably feeling pretty invincible, but all it takes is one visit to that edge of nothingness or for that to happen to a friend or family member to go over that edge to convince you otherwise.

Drive safe.

(All - Sorry to be such a downer but I felt it needed to be said.)

Some kids 'are' actually good drivers. Case in point - I used to autocross in the same class as the son of the car club captain, and he used to kick my butt - at 12. At that age you can get a full motorsport licence and race a car on a closed circuit or closed road in New Zealand. Ask Scott Dixon, last month's Indy winner - he should know, because he was doing it. Of course, these kids have been racing karts since they were five or six, but in regards to mechanical skills some of them are as good as some adults I know.

Do they have the maturity to drive on a public road? Totally another story...

Can you say Joey Logano?

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/bg/06/15/nationwide.kentucky.recap/index.html

Owned? dude you must have some hate for law enforcement. Unless you have been in a situation like that and know something I don't I would say those officers handled that situation appropriately for the time period that it occurred and luckily no one got killed. This is a perfect example of why law enforcement has had to change its approach to vehicle chases as the risk of additional victims increases exponentially every second a chase continues. I'm curious as to what you thought the officers should have done to not get owned? Pull a mad max and bumped him off the road at full speed, or pull out a rocket launcher and open fire?

As for ColoradoKing, those classes, while boring, are to give you information that may save not just your life but the other people on the road too. The next time you read about somebody getting killed in a vehicle related accident, take a second to think about the effect on the victim's family, the parent that will never see their child again, the child that will not have that parent to see them graduate from school, to get married, be a grandparent, etc., the brother who won't have his best friend to hit the slopes with? Life is very precious my friend, and your at the beginning of it and your probably feeling pretty invincible, but all it takes is one visit to that edge of nothingness or for that to happen to a friend or family member to go over that edge to convince you otherwise.

Drive safe.

(All - Sorry to be such a downer but I felt it needed to be said.)

no, right or wrong it was remarkable that the kid avoided the spike strips and ran trained cops off the road and evaded every tactic that tried until the car broke down. There's a fair argument that police should not chase people at all once the speeds involved get high and instead when applicable just follow them with a chopper. I was in no way suggesting it was right or anything like that. You're over sensitive, it suggests to me that you're either a cop that is in "the lone ranger phase" and thinks he/she posses superior moral, legal and general superiority or another authoritarian figure who's ego has gotten out of hand.

Hate for law enforcement? Not at all, distrust, yes. Cops are just as if not more crooked than the general population and yet every time someone says anything that either cops or their groupies don't like, people like you get overly defensive and act like being a cop is akin to sainthood. Go take your circle jerk somewhere else because I don't buy it.