Note to New Members ×

The Annual Summer Beer Thread

utahcarver

and my 2c as a bartender on tequila... i know i'm probably going to make a lot of people angry saying this...i personally think patron is like rotgut. much prefer cabo if you're lookin at pricier tequilas.

It takes a lot more than that to make me angry. I do enjoy Patron Silver though, but not so much their Reposado or Anejo. My standard tequila selection, when I could afford to keep decent stuff around, was Patron Silver, Cabo Reposado, and Sauza Tres Generaciones Anejo. I'd usually have a few others as well... Corralejo, Espolon, sometimes Reserva de la Familia. These days, Sauza Hornitos and 1800 have to do.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big rig with beer taps sticking out the side at a street fair in my neighborhood, almost made me do a homer, but service was quick. The only quaffable brew was a Widmer hefe. The looked at me like I was a freak when I asked for a lemon however.

mario

Guest shrederjen

Well, I see this topic has taken a turn for the better!

As much as I do enjoy a very nice micro brew, or better yet, home brew, tequila is always my drink of choice!

Patrone does have its virtues (I am just polishing the end of a good bottle off into a very small batch of tamerindo margies)

However, for everyday margies, or when you have a party with lots of margarita drinkers, I have found a lovely, inexpensive, Reposado (oak aged) tequila.

Zapopan, which I can get for $20 a pop when I buy it by the case. (yes, sad to admit, my tequila consumption runs about 4 cases a year, but I do share it!) This makes a quite extraordinary margarita, especially, when you add the secret ingredients. :D

Try to google zapopan tequila for more info!!

Zapopan... hmm... not 100% agave, sounds suspicious. But I guess if the price is right and is good in a marg, it could work. Best deal I've found for 100% agave margarita-grade tequila is Cuervo Tradicional - 1.75 liters for $40. It can be sipped too, if you're all out of your good stuff. Better on the rocks than neat.

and my 2c as a bartender on tequila... i know i'm probably going to make a lot of people angry saying this...i personally think patron is like rotgut. much prefer cabo if you're lookin at pricier tequilas.

patron is the the most over rated tequila that I know of, it's not bad but it certainly is not great IMHO it belongs in the $30 range if you ask me

I have a 3 bottles left of Hamelin Bay 02 Shiraz. Western Australia wines (especially Margaret River) are different and some would say better than their South Eastern kin. I like the taste better but I am admittedly ignorant I just like the taste

patron is the the most over rated tequila that I know of, it's not bad but it certainly is not great IMHO it belongs in the $30 range if you ask me

Heh. You don't know the $30 range then. Populated by the likes of 1800, Cuervo Tradicional, Herradura, Sauza Hornitos, Cazadores, etc. All make a fine marg, but are a far, far cry from Patron. You might call the delicate flavor bland, but you can't deny the smoothness.

I have a 3 bottles left of Hamelin Bay 02 Shiraz. Western Australia wines (especially Margaret River) are different and some would say better than their South Eastern kin. I like the taste better but I am admittedly ignorant I just like the taste

Thats the beauty of wine (or beer...or tequila...or anything other drink for that matter). If you like it, and enjoy drinking it, its good..no matter what the cost.

Heh. You don't know the $30 range then. Populated by the likes of 1800, Cuervo Tradicional, Herradura, Sauza Hornitos, Cazadores, etc. All make a fine marg, but are a far, far cry from Patron. You might call the delicate flavor bland, but you can't deny the smoothness.

no, I do. 1800 is piss, sauza hornitos is $35 a handle if you know where to look. Patron silver is the one I take most issues with, it tastes like cheap vodka with a touch of agave where as compared with other white teqs that may have a bit more bite but also have leaps and bounds more flavor without the bottom shelf after taste. As someone who owns a still and has run it as both a reflux still and as a pot still the stuff reminds me of a spirit made from a mash that was made with corn syrup more than anything else and then cleaned up really really well but still has a hint of crap in the background. It's not bad at all but I feel it's over priced much like SKYY vodka or the entire Johnny Walker line. The Rep and the Anejo are better but just not my preferred bottles in that range.

I should be clear though I like tequila strong tasting in the sense that I like scotch strong, if a scotch is sherried I like it deeply sherried or if it's smokey I like it being like liquid smoke....

ohh yeah, have you tried sotol? it's not tequila at all but I guess it's similar I've only seen it at one place so I'm not sure if it's a brand or it's own actual type of booze but it sounds interesting but I was not gonna pull the trigger on a $50 bottle without a heads up.

Patron silver is the one I take most issues with.

Ah, I rarely ever buy silver tequila. I much prefer the aged versions.

I should be clear though I like tequila strong tasting in the sense that I like scotch strong, if a scotch is sherried I like it deeply sherried or if it's smokey I like it being like liquid smoke....

El Tesoro Anejo then. Very complex and interesting. Unique. A hair less smooth than Patron or Cabo, but well worth it for a change of pace.

Or if you have the means... Porfidio Anejo or El Tesoro Paradiso.

ohh yeah, have you tried sotol?

Nope.

Ah, I rarely ever buy silver tequila. I much prefer the aged versions.

El Tesoro Anejo then. Very complex and interesting. Unique. A hair less smooth than Patron or Cabo, but well worth it for a change of pace.

Or if you have the means... Porfidio Anejo or El Tesoro Paradiso.

Nope.

tesoro is good.

there's a few high end mescals that are amazing as well. Mezcals are tough to find other than monte alban and that stuff is no good. if it has a worm it's probably terrible BTW.