Note to New Members ×

Next Best Alternative?

rwmaron

I've got my heart set on a Prior ATV, but can't swing a new one; even Bomber's sale price is a bit out of my range for now. I've watched the classifieds for months, but the folks who've got 'em aren't giving them up; same thing on E-Bay.

Are there any alternative directional freeride decks, 167-172 cm length, 23-24 cm waist, 9-10 m SCR that I should be considering for use with plates and hardboots as an all-mountain ride?

What should I keep on my short list for summer shopping on a budget of $300 max?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I've got my heart set on a Prior ATV, but can't swing a new one; even Bomber's sale price is a bit out of my range for now. I've watched the classifieds for months, but the folks who've got 'em aren't giving them up; same thing on E-Bay.

Are there any alternative directional freeride decks, 167-172 cm length, 23-24 cm waist, 9-10 m SCR that I should be considering for use with plates and hardboots as an all-mountain ride?

What should I keep on my short list for summer shopping on a budget of $300 max?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Madd BX! http://www.madd1.com/specs.htm

Depending on how big you are a Donek Incline should be on your consideration list. I'm 140lb on a 160 incline with Cateks and 224's and it's great for short turns and softer snow. It's not so great on icey conditions for me (I think because of the short radius or it's too stiff for my weight in hard conditions) but for me in softer snow it's a great freeride deck. The specs seem like they'd be in your range... The price is a higher than what you're looking for ($450) but I've had mine for going on five years and it's still popping...

Don't you have the F2 Speedcross? That's about closest to ATV...

That 23-24 waist is the toughest part, not too many boards fit the bill.

Let's see...

First, right waist, shorter length:

Stuf Accelerator, 164/23.5/9, is a bit shorter, but cheap if you can find one. Flex is not as refined as on ATV and the nose is smaller.

Oxygen SBX, 164/24/9, also shorter with smaller nose. Probably stiffer then ATV.

Then, right length, wider waist:

Dynastar/Osin 3800, 169/25.6/9.4. Great allrounder, but excells in powder,trees, bumps.

Volkl Cross, 167/25/9. Way stiffer then stock ATV. Excells in carving.

Few other BX boards, that I'm not 100% sure about specs - F2 Elliminator, Palmer Carbon Circles, Santa Cruz TBX...

Then freeriders, also wider:

Tanker 172, Santa Cruz Maverick 173 (almost the same shape, both were made at Volkl factory at one stage).

Arbor A-Frame or Ellement

Prior MFR, probably too expensive even if you found used one.

Honnorary mention, alpine deck:

Burton Speed Wide, 168/22.5/10.5. Carviest of them all. Nice nose and width will let you handle crud/chop/pow like no other carving board. I wish it had rounded tail...

BlueB;

Thanks so much for your reply - it's just the kind of input I was looking for!!

2 follow-up questions come to mind:

1) Would you include the Nitro Shogun in the 'freeriders' category? (it meets my waist & length criteria); and

2) Do you have all this stuff in your head? If not where did you find this info?

:biggthump

Ah, I made it all up, just to look clever ;)

I rode, or have, many of the boards I mentioned. Some of the info comes from top sheets, some hand measured. All stored at the same place: my pea-brain.

As for Shogun, I can't say - I never rode any Nitros. Someone told me, though, that it's reasonably stiff. Now, one persons stiff might be another persons medium, so unless I at least hand flexed a stick it wouldn't be fair to comment on it...

Boris

What about a Burton Alp? Klug site still has hundreds for sale. I had an e-deck once and it was way too soft, but don't know about an Alp (waist is 215- $160).

a alp is good for rocks and that's about it, I'd get a burton FP over a alp, even before I started riding other brands other than burton I always thought the alp was a POS compared to the FP and now I think think the FP is garbage too......

here's something http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380018844163&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

What is so terribly wrong with Alp? What's bad for one type of riding or rider, migth be just right for another...

For starters, let's not compare it with FPs or other race or quasi-race boards, as the Alp was ment to be an all-mountain carver. So, we can only talk 4WD, Axxess, Coiler AM, AWD, etc. Last generation Alp and Coil are what the modern AM boards derived from.

Also, to state that technology is totally oudated is also wrong. It has wood core, glass lamination, ptex base, steel edges, some dumpening material, hmmm, sounds the same as 4WD? SCRs on all these boards (169-174 lengths) are in the 10m to 10.5m. Outdated flex pattern? Maybe...

Alp is somewhat soft, or if you wish soft on the nose and springy on the tail. Then, it's not too stiff torsionally, either. It has nice big nose. Those factors make it less good carver then the other mentioned boards, BUT also more forgiving for a novice or lighter rider, better in the bumps, and I dare to say better in pow partially thanks to it's biggest nose. Tail would give you nice pop when loaded, so it's not exactly boring, eiter. It's somewhat less damp then 4WD / AM. It can chatter a bit. And yes, you can fold the nose on it if not carrefull.

I know at least one advanced rider (not me) who prefers Alp over 4WD for all-mountain bashing.

For the record, I'm also a Prior fan.

Just can't stand to much trashing of a pruduct. Everything is as much fun as you put into it.

________

Back to another topic.

I just found the waist spec of Nitro Shogun 169. It's 23.8. Nice and narrow freerider for h/boots. As I mentioned before, I have no real idea of the flex...

BlueB;

I had an Alp (bought it from you as a matter of fact); thoroughly enjoyed it but sold it to Jolson (who seems to be enjoying it as well) when I switched over to F2 Intec bindings.

If I found a board of the same length (169) and characteristics as the Alp with standard binding mounts, I'd consider picking that up as well!

alps have the same issue primes do but worse, soft nose that folds.

it's a cap and a ****ty cap at that too mine delamed

the alp was the first alpine board that I owned that was not a loner or anything, also it has a extruded base.

as far as free carve all mountain boards the FPs actually fit that duty alright, the the 173 and 178 in particular

BlueB, its what you ride thats comfortable, not what others ride...thanks for confirming that.

Yeah, I snatched Russ's Alp when he offered and its been a great fit for me when conditions are slightly past groomed through crud. I am a square body 210 pounder that rides in a fairly agressive manner (which does not neccesarily translate to accomplished) and I have yet to fold the nose over and if anyone is gonna do it, I believe I would. Great board that allowed me to advance my skill set and whatever new technology mimics that results from the ALP, that will be my next purchase as I upgrade that board in the future.

Not sure how appropriate this board/manufacturer/vendor is, but a certain well-known co-op that was founded in Seattle has a 172cm directional freeride of the noble S-M lineage, by the B maker, at a scrumptious sale price as of today.

Wish I had the dinero. At this price they won't last long.

cheers

BoarderBoy

aka AlpRider