Note to New Members ×

Madd Metal

Cuban Carving Gooding

No,

It rides well, holds the edge like a Madd and still has some life. however, far damper then the normal Madds.

I thought the Coiler schtubby was a far better ride then the Madd. the coiler had more life for me then the Madd did. you can relax and ride the 13.2 sidecut or hammer it and turn it on a dime and launch from turn to turn.

Ken rode it for a day at Ajax, what did you think Ken???????

• 2 weeks later...
Jack, you been on a metal madd?

care to compare?

Bob unfortunatley I don't think there was one rider that spent time on both a metal Coiler and a metal Madd. Any one that tested a Coiler metal did not want to give it up, I was one of them. This years ECES was all about COILER, COILER, COILER.....:D

Tom Holmes is the only rider I know of that tried a prototype metal Madd and then rode my F2 170 07 production year and my 180. He liked the response he got from the regular Madds better. But I'll let him respond, he was railing on my 180.

Jack, you been on a metal madd?

Haven't been on one. Asked for a demo back in November, didn't happen. There were two metal Madds (158 & 170) available for demo at the ECES, but I sure wasn't going to try one then, having just received my new baby.

Shred rode the Madd metal...

He took 2 runs and switched back to the metal coilers for the rest of the week if that tells you anything...I'll let him state his own opinion though.

To be fair, the only metal Madd demos were 18cm wide. Very different feel regardless of construction, and not a good one for the soft conditions.

But yes, I was/am extremely impressed with my new Coiler. An eye-opening experience to say the least.

Well, its still in the proto stage so lets remember that..

But lets assume they let it go as is..

The thing had like 3 inches of Camber!! Camber is nice and makes it springy and I know some of you guys like that...but thats not the only way to do it..

In that area I give it about a 6 out of 10 too much camber and just think of the distance from camber to decamber that board is going to have to go through, the material inside has to go some where.. I went jesh..thats a lot of camber I wonder how many cycles it will withstand. The camber is more than I have ever seen.. maybe I just haven't seen enough...

But the Camber worked.. so if you like a diving board then its right on..

Board wasn't as damp I thought it would be from what other people told me.. Its damper..but still has that good Madd Pop...!

Its finnally thicker so inserts won't poke out the bottom!! and didn't feel like it was broke in the middle of the board.. Very Strong board..

Some flaws I see if its kept this way.. ?? well dunno.. The Madd people should know by now if from what I rode is #34 or something.. The titanal or aluminum plate thats inserted along the bottom edge, if there is more you just can't see it anywhere else, The metal runs along the bottom edge and stops about 10 inches from the nose and tail...right in the flex spot.. I saw some sidewall cracking starting to show right where the metal stops, but that may just be what happens and could just be cometic issue that needs to be addressed, again... Im just reporting what I saw and felt after riding it.

Its cool as Kaschit! ,, and In my mind if it holds up.. is a vast improvement from anything they have made to date after thier comeback..

Remember I only rode the 158.. I can't tell you the specs cause no one gave them to me...I just rode it.. I took it down the slalom face on Spruce the first day and it did very very well.. Still quick but felt better,, stonger and more refined in years past.. felt like there was some meat to the board finnaly..

For me if they released it as is.. I would buy one.. it an improvement and feels just better and was surprise I didn't notice the four wheel drive camber..

its about a 8 or 8.5 as is.. maybe a 9.. but I didn't get to spend all day on it.. wish I did..

Its still bad ass and different.. and for me.. that means I gotta have it...

Your in Almost in two different worlds when your talking and comparing a full metal Coiler to a Madd Glass Metal.

There both very different, so for me I would buy em both... and probabley will when they come out in 2011.. but don't ask me to compare it back to back with a Coiler... your hearing what the reviews are about the Schtubby X2 and Jacks Safari...

The Schtubbys Just ride so ..oh oh ohoohoh oh oh oh oh.....:1luvu: spoooogggg..

The New Madd as tested,Its a keeper as is.. but I bet when its released.. you'll probabley want one.. best new production Madd yet in my view..

But thats me..go demo one...uhh hmmm maybe there is only one..dunno..

Makes some calls to Hardbooter..?

That review probabley helped no one I bet...Sorry!!:(

Im asking that question too... when can I buy one???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What the WTF can I get one said Shred

I own both. Stubby 166 and Madd 170 Metal. I actually just got off of the phone with Madd Mike Banker about this.

I echo Shred´s comments. The 170 is a quieter and easier ride than the carbon butterfly 170. Huge camber, feels a bit odd in the lift line as it springboards you around a bit when shuffling. Just like Shred, good enough for me to keep certainly and feels more substantial underfoot than the standard 170. Ice grip is certainly higher, if that can believed for such a good ice board, especially on the steeps.

I think the only thing that does detract a bit is that the board is like a Madd 170 plus metal, it isn´t a whole new ballgame, but a very good improvement on an already excellent product. Everyone knows and loves the amazing board the that standard 170 has become, and metal adds a great level of smoothness and rut absorption. However, I love the Stubby too, as its new, cool and different. Its a great idea that works really really damn well and I have a hard time deciding between these two boards in the morning, so I usually bring both. :)