Note to New Members ×

National Ski Patrol - Any memorable run-ins?

Algunderfoot

I was amazed to be confronted by a Jacket bearing patroller on Saturday, at my local, and carver friendly hill. (Indianhead, MI) He said that he had recieved complaints from a couple of "people" (whom I can assume were novices at best) and that I could not make big carves on the mountain. I said "excuse me? I am pretty sure that I can use as much of any run as I wish too." and of all people here I am very cognisant of others on any given run. To which hastily replied "No you can't!" I asked whether this was written down or if he makes it up as he goes. I continued with "I know seven codes of responsibility that are being flagrantly disregarded on this hill today, perhaps you should focus your attention on that, to which he responded that "We've had words, if I have to speak with you again that will be that", and he skied away. In noticing his sking ability, actually lack there of, I grew increasingly agitated. So much so that I decided to file a formal complaint with the resort management and the patrol manager (a paid employee) Fortunately they were both very apolagetic and accomadating. Going on to explain that they have had thier share of problems with patrollers this year. Many of which are for these very code violations, often committed by the pratroller themselves. Others for over extending the freebie privilages, to not doing much patrolling at all. Having been hit from behind, by a off duty patroller a year ago, at Alpine Medows, I wonder if this is a serious problem. Perhaps a letter (email) campaign to the NSP is in order, to refresh the memory of their constituents and stand up for our rights, and our safety.

Any other encounters worth mentioning?

Al

I think my only encounter was when I dropped my glove off the chair. I went down to retrieve it and carefully went under the rope. I heard "hey... HEY! HEY YOU!" and just thought it was some moron being a dick. Well I looked up and saw the jacket. He said "What are you doing" thinkin I was one of those guys tryin to get the pow under the lift. I pointed to my glove about 5 feet away and told him I was getting it. He told me next time to wait for ski patrol or an employee because there are hoses and wires down there that I could accidentally cut. I was nowhere near a tower or snow machine and there was probably 3 feet of base. Oh, and on top of that, the total distance I traveled under the rope was probably 10 feet in and 10 feet back. It kinda irked me, but nothin like what you had.

I was at the Snowperformance camp at Sun Peaks, and we had finished gates for the day and were heading back to the condo down the lower half of Five Mile (which is a green run, but about 400 feet wide). Mike Jacoby, Shrederjen and I were off to one side, not even carving, just tooling back towards the village when we were stopped by a ski patroller for "speeding".

Mike looked at him like he was nuts and said "are you kidding me?" The guy said no, he had the speed camera on us (!!) and we were doing 47km/h down a green run. Now I'm pretty sure that I've never even been 47 km/h on a snowboard in my life, and at that point, Mike knew the guy had to be pulling his leg, so he just left.

WTF? I'm sure some of these guys have been watching South Park ... "respect my authorit-y"!!

We get a bit of that on our hill. The local patrolers who are always there are super nice and It makes you feel good knowing they're on the hill. The weekend warriors who come up only when conditions are good can be some of the biggest pricks you've ever met. Just ignore them and they go away.:D

Ski Patrol at our mountain loves the snowboard team. Ski Roundtop has the best Patrollers. We keep them informed of when we are training and racing gates, and they make special "laps" near the course just to check in with us and see if everything is cool...

they also love to watch us carve and shred to mountain. They are totally legit and i'm thankful they are there to pick up the pieces when one of us explodes and needs carried off the mountain.

Al G, you did the right thing by talking to management and the Patrol Director. The guy sounds like a jerk and once he committed to confronting you, didn't want to back down once you pointed out how foolish his complaint was. I've found it is easiest to simply accept whatever criticism or complaint they have, be overly polite, and thank them for the suggestion. Keep in mind that he probably had to ski above his ability level in order to catch you and was therefore agitated because he was feeling out of control, even though you weren't (but he doesn't know this). I can easily outrun most of the patrollers at Alpine (pro or volunteer) on my carving board - heck, I could probably outrun myself on skis when I'm on a board given the right conditions. I know from experience that when the patrollers have to chase you down, they generally are all amped up when they do catch you. Plus some are just anti-snowboard bigots looking for an excuse to vent.

BTW, do you remember the name of the Alpine patroller who hit you? I'd love to give him/her a good-natured ribbing next time I see them (which will probably be next weekend).

Anyway, taking up your complaint with management and the patrol director is the most likely way to get results. I assure you that the patroller will have heard about it from both of those people. If your mountain is like Alpine Meadows, there's an increasing emphasis on customer service and while Patrol may be right when it comes to safety issues, the way they address those issues and the guests runs a close second in terms of importance. Writing to the NSP may get you a response, but probably will do little to change things.

Oh, and Allee, I'd bet money that you have definitely exceeded 47kph on a snowboard. That's not very fast. Heck, a friend clocked me at 61mph (~100kph) just last weekend and that was after I'd had to carve around some gapers, interrupting my straightline.

I was at Indianhead last Thursday (2/21) - near perfect conditions for carving and frequently saw patrollers out, but I didn't catch any grief; sounds like this was an isolated incident with a bit of a 'loose cannon'.

Kudos for handling the situation so well. This was my first trip to Indianhead and I found it to be a great hardboot resort!

I get compliments from the Patroler's at my hill, for that matter so does xxguitarist when they observe his growing carving skills. Most of the times its "you actually know how to turn" I rode up a chair in front of a patroler and he was a bit started that I stepped in a rode away from the ramp at nearly the same speed he did, we rode together for a few chairs before he had to go to work with the special olympics and I had to leave because the slopes were too crowded

ive wrecked, only to have a patroller ski over the last knoll and tell me that where i was sitting was a bad place to stop. to which i reply "i wrecked" they tend to ski away all embarassed like. Do all skiers assume that if your on a snowboard, you dont know to stop at the side of the run?

ive wrecked, only to have a patroller ski over the last knoll and tell me that where i was sitting was a bad place to stop. to which i reply "i wrecked" they tend to ski away all embarassed like. Do all skiers assume that if your on a snowboard, you dont know to stop at the side of the run?

I think its more that skiers assume if you are on a snowboard you will stop just about anywhere EXPECT the side of the run. At least on my mountain(s) it certainly seems that way...I just pretend they are pylons to carve around :ices_ange

I think its more that skiers assume if you are on a snowboard you will stop just about anywhere EXPECT the side of the run. At least on my mountain(s) it certainly seems that way...I just pretend they are pylons to carve around :ices_ange

I ONLY stop on sides of runs, but every skier I see stopped is ALWAYS in the middle of runs.

I never understood this one.

White pass in Washington, about 10 years ago. I got warned for "riding to close to beginner skiers" She was almost yelling in my face about pulling my ticket, etc...I didn't say much except OK, cuz sometimes you can't reason with some people. I never got closer the 15 ft to anybody, so I really didn't know what she was talking about. She seemed disappointed that I didn't want to argue with her. she skied off, and just before she came to a point where the trails merged, she looked back at me and scowled. Just then, another ski patroller was coming down the other run, he was looking back up hill and yelling at someone. they both collided at the trail junction, ended up in tangled and on the ground. I rode by while they were still on the ground, and she gave me another look like I had caused it, but said nothing. Hilarious.:lol:

Hi Al,:boxing_sm

Mary wanted me to pass along her dissapointment with the patrollers actions at Indianhead. As a patroller herself she feels that patrollers earn the priveledge of patrolling through their volenteer efforts and saftey training. Too many take this privledge as a power trip thinking that they are some authority at the hill adn allowed to "police" the hill. They are there as a part of the risk management team, and therefore do have to enforce "rules" for the area. They are there to provide for our saftey and act as first responders in the event of an accident.

I feel that the patroll and mangement at Cascade has made an outstanding effort to train patrollers to be much more customer service focused They also have done a ton of work to teach proper skiing and snowboarding skills, and requiring ongoing training each season. And it shows. i have been the Snow Sports Director at Three midwest areas adn been a part of the ski schools at both Telluride and Snowbird. Cascade was the only one in the midwest where patroll Directors adn Ski School Director had good open dialog to improve the most visible example of skiing and snowboarding the public sees.

(What a self rightous pile of.... i am):sleep:

Anyway you seemed like you handeled it in a bussines like, sofisticated way as i would have expected from what I know of you. well done.

A brief letter to NSP to find out who is the regional rep for the Indian Head area and a FU letter might find its way into the Rusty Parka, a newsletter to all NSP members starting a dialog amongst themselves and their pivital roll in growing and furthering the Snow Sports Industry through the example that they set. A goal we should all keep in mind.

by the by email me would ya

tom.waldbillig@sbcglobal.net

I had a park monkey do the same thing to me when crushed my L1 vertebra on the backside of a jump. He kept telling me to move. I said, "do you think I would still be here if I could move?"

Ive had quite a few friends past and present that are volley patrolers and have been doing some backcountry with a few of the paid patrolers on our hill this year, All good people.

Was climbing with the split in the trees between the chairs to get some miles in before meeting up with someone on sun when i ran into one of the paid patrolers i do bc with. First thing he asked me is if i was the one busted for skinning up on the side of the runs.Next thing out of his mouth is" ****en cut some slack and get off the ego trip".I have never had a problem with a paid patroler and if i get busted by one of them i know i'm in the wrong.

That said though i hear from these people that there are a few on the volley who abuse their power. The best thing you can do is question their decision with someone who actually knows what they're talking about, ex" can i carve on a run?"If they find out he's making decisions like that out there you can bet he'll be weeded out next year or at least be slapped down.

First thing he asked me is if i was the one busted for skinning up on the side of the runs.Next thing out of his mouth is" ****en cut some slack and get off the ego trip".

Funny people get busted for that where you are. In Colorado, especially Aspen, it seems to be the preferred local passtime. I couldn't believe how many people were skinning/showshoeing up the runs. I thought it was pretty cool.

Basicly the paid patroler was calling the volley patroler an "idiot" for making such a big deal out of it.Ive been generally left alone this year since i was on a bc course that was put on by two paid patrolers that are high up in the ranks when a class3.5 avi came down inbounds and we were one of the first there doing search and rescue.