Note to New Members ×

Broken Rib

bumpyride

Any of you old farts have experience on healing times for broken ribs?

Broke #8 rib 4 weeks ago. The rib was x-rayed and showed an off-set break with some shards floating around. Right now it's progressed to be pretty OK, but is very noticeable when inhaling deeply. Haven't started running or boarding yet, cause I don't want to snap it. I've got a week of boarding in Whistler starting on the 24th of Feb, 2 weeks from now, which would be 6 weeks from the injury date.

What's your experience with healing times. I know that it varies, but some info would be appreciated. I'm pushing 60 (Oh damn), in very good shape, both aerobically, and physically. The last time I broke a rib was when I was about 40, and then I think it was just a fracture, and as I recall it didn't take anywhere near this long.

Old jokes will be tolerated, but you will be expected to back it up when I heal, especially those in the Pacific Northwest.

PS. Intec bindings with long enough leads to not bend over when releasing are invaluable with broken ribs.

I'm betting on a longer healing time than that. I cracked two ribs when I was 20, it took a couple months to get to where I was comfortable. Being wrapped helps. If you are up for Whistler, I want to hook up at Whistler on Wed. 27th, as I'll be up there then, possibly with one or two others.

Sorry to hear about the injury, heal quickly and well.

I bruised my ribs two weeks ago in a fall at stratton (first run after recovering from my friggin' broken clavicle!) but they're totally recovered now. This past summer I broke two ribs trying to avoid being run-over on my bike by some asshat in an SUV who decided it was ok for him to drive right through the bike lane without looking - that took a month.

That said, I have a feeling that my bones heal unusually quickly - a month after my clavicle operation earlier this season my clavicle has totally healed, so it may take a bit longer.

Something that I learned from my experience this summer is that in some cases, you may sleep better and heal well if you sleep *on* the damaged rib, sounds weird, but it worked for me. Ribs heal slowly due to the constant breathing we have to be doing.

When I bruised my rib, I also went over the handlebars and forgot to ball up. I think my ipod whacked against my chest where I it. I keep the ipod lower down now.

Make sure to breathe deeply now and again to prevent your lung on the damaged side from filling up with fluids.

Sorry about your injury.

Those ribs constantly remind you of the damage.

One hint: Hang around dull, boring people. If only hurts when you laugh.

I broke 3 upper ribs and a collar bone but that was when I was 40. Took a month but I was back out there- on skis.:(

It took 6 weeks before I would risk riding again. And long waits for clear trails.

Hope you're on the slopes soon.

Sorry to hear about the injury, heal quickly and well.

Something that I learned from my experience this summer is that in some cases, you may sleep better and heal well if you sleep *on* the damaged rib, sounds weird, but it worked for me. Ribs heal slowly due to the constant breathing we have to be doing.

Tried just about everything the first couple of weeks. Kept on reinjuring it, until I went onto the couch and ottoman. Spread the ottoman from the couch about 1 foot between the two. I put my lower rib cage in the space with the upper back on the couch and everything below the waist on the ottoman, and that got me healing faster than anything. Luckily I sleep on my back anyway so that worked well. That ended a week ago, and sleeping now is fine, as well as most everything else.

Basically I'm just trying to get an average of how long before things get back to normal.

I'm betting on a longer healing time than that. I cracked two ribs when I was 20, it took a couple months to get to where I was comfortable. Being wrapped helps. If you are up for Whistler, I want to hook up at Whistler on Wed. 27th, as I'll be up there then, possibly with one or two others.

Jon, That sounds like an idea. We won't be grooming at all. Whistler is the off-piste playground, and we'll be staying at Creekside. Let's stay in touch, and contact me off thread and I'll give you a call or give my phone.

Jon, That sounds like an idea. We won't be grooming at all. Whistler is the off-piste playground, and we'll be staying at Creekside. Let's stay in touch, and contact me off thread and I'll give you a call or give my phone.

Cool, do you know where the gnarly chutes are at?? My pastor has been braggin' on them, and I need to do 'em! I'll try to get the name of it, but it has a short hike to the drop zone, and they are fairly steep. I'd be bringin' the 156 Rad-Air Vessel for that duty, not the Tanker, as you could well imagine.....

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR height=30><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow colSpan=3>Seattle, WA - Dr. Perry Chinn </TD></TR><TR height=25><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow width="20%">Address:</TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow width="40%">13028 Interurban Ave. S, Ste 106 </TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow width="24%">City:</TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow width="16%">Seattle </TD></TR><TR height=25><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>State:</TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>WA </TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>Postal Code:</TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>98168 </TD></TR><TR height=25><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>Phone No:</TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>206-957-7950 </TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>Email:</TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>drchinn@interurbanchiropractic.com </TD></TR><TR height=25><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>Website:</TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>http://www.interurbanchiropractic.com </TD><TD class=ListitemAlternativeRow>View </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I know it sounds crazy but lots of you pain can actually come from the T8 vertabra being misaligned. a gentle specific Chiropractor can do you a world of good. take your films if you have them and tell him Dr D from Bigfork says hi. He's an exceptional Chiropractor if he can't help he will tell you. also look up kinesiotape online and find someone close to you to tape it up. BIG difference in your comfort.

1st Football, 2nd Ski Racing 3rd Hockey 4th Water Skiing 5th Hockey 6th Soccer 7th Snow Boarding. Common denominator ....?

When I snowboard and ski race now, my family never say "Good luck!" I hear, "don't hurt yourself". Not very inspirational.

All on my left side. My left set of ribs has the flexibility of an 16th century stained glass church window. Along with both rotator cuff's hanging by a thread, I've trained myself to do "the move" a la torpedo, elbows and forearms tight to my chest. It works! Still enjoying all my sports.

If I'm not hurting; I'm not playing enough, or I'm drinking too much!

[quote

I know it sounds crazy but lots of you pain can actually come from the T8 vertabra being misaligned. a gentle specific Chiropractor can do you a world of good. take your films if you have them and tell him Dr D from Bigfork says hi. He's an exceptional Chiropractor if he can't help he will tell you. also look up kinesiotape online and find someone close to you to tape it up. BIG difference in your comfort.

Good point doc! I had a very painful rib for about a month this summer from long bike rides. the chiro found it was a misaligned vertebrate and completely fixed it in 2 visits, spread 3 days apart.:D

I'm over any pain when doing just about anything, I only feel it when I put pressure on it, and it's just a little bothersome when I inhale fully, and then just for a minute. I might have thought about going to see someone earlier, but I'm quite on the mend.

Note to all those reading. Do not break a rib,eat a really big meal, climb into a 4 wheel drive Toyota and sit while driving down a bumpy road. Also don't expect to shift a stick without needing windshield wipers for your eyes.

Funniest story I've heard to date: Friend was ice skating on a lake with his 2 boys. There was a small rock sticking out of the lake, and he told his boys to "Watch me jump this". He proceeded to skate in ever widening circles to get his speed up when all of a sudden a lead opened up. He skated full speed into the water and caught the edge of the ice square in the ribs. He was kneeling in the freezing water unable to move or breathe with his kids yelling "Dad are you alright?"

I feel your pain..... :eek:

I'm 61 and last February 23rd I broke two ribs while pacesetting Okemo's NASTAR course. I was warned that the injury could lead to pneumonia and it did. Not a good combination.

I had separated the cartilage from a rib while competing at the National Sky Diving championships in 1975 and the recover was fairly quick. 30+ years later the recovery was much slower. Several months after the injury I'd get a sharp pain if I twisted the wrong way when lifting something. A year after the injury, I'm finally fully healed and having a good racing season. Be patient and don't get discouraged.

Bumpy

I broke three ribs on my back after being run off a trail (a couple of skidders) a couple of years ago, I was 49 and holding. The doctor said six weeks I'd be good to go and it worked, I slept sitting up/reclining and kept my ribs wrapped to reduce the pain if I coughed or laughed. I have no pain or issues and the ribs are strong and healthy, hang in there Bumpy you're going to be ok. aloha

Brian

It looks like it's going to be a bit longer before it's great, but it's getting good. Much better today than yesterday and no problems with a big cough, am on the Rollo Board, and pretty much bouncing around without landing hard.

12 Days till a week in Whistler, which reminds me to call Jon Dahl.