Note to New Members ×

Best board for petite woman beginner?

cafercr35

I am setting my wife up on plates.

So far I got Deeluxe boots mondo 23

I have Burton race plates or TD1s

She is 5'1" 98 lbs

she is on her 3rd yr of softies and carving rather well....just beginning to rip the steeps this year. She is riding a Ride Solace 142

What is a good race board to put her on and what size?

Does your wife know you posted her height AND weight on an open forum for the world to read? Man you got a bigger set than I do. :D

If you can find an O2 FR157 or a F2 Speedster GTS 158 that is what I am getting my wife on this year.

The FR is working great for her so far.

Paul

Find something with a narrower waist, like an Oxygen Fr, or maybe a Volkl slalom board from a few years back when they were narrower. A 162 burner would probably be OK too if she's aggressive enough to bend it.

yes yes - the narrower boards - now I remember back when I started. I used the alps....yes very forgiven because they were soft....but I then got on a volant and the transitions were much quicker and easier which left more energy and time to carve out the trail.

I'd like to go short....what is the shortest carve board out there?

I'm 5'2" and weigh a bit more that your wife, but I ride an Oxygen Proton 149 and love it! I also have an Oxygen FR 47 which I'd be willing to part with if you might be interested. My theory.... start cheap, then build your way up to more expensive, longer boards. (after 15+ years, I'm still on the start cheap phase!) I am tempted to get something longer soon though. I like doing tight little slalom cross-under turns, but when I do go to a longer radius turn, I get a lot of chatter and it doesn't hold so well.

I'm 5'2" and weigh a bit more that your wife, but I ride an Oxygen Proton 147and love it! I also have an Oxygen FR 47 which I'd be willing to part with if you might be interested. My theory.... start cheap, then build your way up to more expensive, longer boards. (after 15+ years, I'm still on the start cheap phase!) I am tempted to get something longer soon though. I like doing tight little slalom cross-under turns, but when I do go to a longer radius turn, I get a lot of chatter and it doesn't hold so well.

Thanks for you input....I'm likin the FR 47 - can you send me pics?

I'd recommend an Oxygen Proton 149 SL. It has a 8.5m SCR and 19.5 cm waist. I use to ride my 149 SL whenever the runs got really crowded or icy. However, my Madd 158 is now the go to board for crowded/icy conditions.

The Oxygen Protons hold a better edge than similarly sized Burton Alps. You should be able to find the 149 SL ranging from $50 to $100.

Even though I haven't ridden my 149 SL in a couple of seasons, I'm not ready to sell it yet.

If you decide to spend more money, I'd highly recommend the Madd 158 f1 flex. It doesn't turn as tight as the Proton 149, but the Madd's edge hold is much better and it is much more stable at higher speeds.

I'd recommend an Oxygen Proton 149 SL. It has a 8.5m SCR and 19.5 cm waist. I use to ride my 149 SL whenever the runs got really crowded or icy. However, my Madd 158 is now the go to board for crowded/icy conditions.

The Oxygen Protons hold a better edge than similarly sized Burton Alps. You should be able to find the 149 SL ranging from $50 to $100.

Even though I haven't ridden my 149 SL in a couple of seasons, I'm not ready to sell it yet.

If you decide to spend more money, I'd highly recommend the Madd 158 f1 flex. It doesn't turn as tight as the Proton 149, but the Madd's edge hold is much better and it is much more stable at higher speeds.

for sure looking for an O2, I have an alp 69 - which i only use in the very soft stuff....as for Madd....i ride the east coast and the ice slicer is the madd 170:D

I am setting my wife up on plates.

So far I got Deeluxe boots mondo 23

I have Burton race plates or TD1s

She is 5'1" 98 lbs

she is on her 3rd yr of softies and carving rather well....just beginning to rip the steeps this year. She is riding a Ride Solace 142

What is a good race board to put her on and what size?

if you think she's gonna stick with it, have Bruce V build her something, at that weight going custom might be a good idea so you get something soft enough

also, the race plates are the binding to use, the td1 would be like bricks on a 98 poundah

I don't know what the general feeling is on here for a beginner with a super narrow waisted board. Wouldn't be easier for a beginner to start with something just a little wider so the binding angles don't have to be real extreme? just wondering...

is a board this wide considered too wide? It is an Oxygen FR47.

post-301-141842249662_thumb.jpg

I have a 24.5 mondo boot and I ride about 45 degree angles. The first day of really riding hard this year, I got a bruise on my ankle (inside, above the bone) of my back foot. I was on my Oxygen Proton that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I wondered if I'd be better off moving my angles up some. But then again, if I'm going to do that maybe I'd need to get a narower board.