Note to New Members ×

This winter has been lame (Warning: Rant thread)

photodad2001

In southern Ohio we get freezing rain more than actual snow, it's just one of those things. I do think it's funny when I hear, "Here in Vermont we ride ice". I'm thinking about a run with half an inch of clear, shining, frozen water covering the surface. It's taken very literally since that is a slope condition we actually get. I WISH we had Killingtons conditions! I was at my local hill once and just for laughs a skipatrol went out on a pair of hockey skates and was doing as well as anyone else. Of coarse they run a groomer over it and make it into run comparable to one covered in broken glass. Just the other day I saw a guy who ended up taking a tumble and he looked like he had just got done wrestling a bear. Face was all bloody.

Well, I'd be happy to see freezing rain in our forecast, but of coarse tomorrow we're supposed to get thunderstorms with 65 degree temps!!! THEN I walk into Target and they've already got their bathing suits out!!! More rain in the forecast for next week, and highs above freezing every day for the next 10 days. After a late opening and a week shut down in early January due to rain and thin spots, it looks like there's going to be an early close to the season too. Let's get another thread going complaining about "when's the snow going to stop out west!?":mad:

post-6711-141842249552_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a real bummer.I'm from the midwest originally so I know what you are talking about.

Here in the west we know better than to complain about the snow. We are having an epic winter. I was riding the gondola today with friends and we agreed that every day was the new best day of the winter.We've been blessed.

So to soften the blow you must be feeling if you can make it out this way we have an extra room.

We have similar conditions in So PA, but we must have better groomers. Even on the iciest conditions, the groom is still good.

It sounds like a rant against your resort for not making lemonade out of the lemons it has been given. That stinks.

In any case, learn to ride that ice and you will be the man. :biggthump

Whenever I go out west, I usually end up looking forward to coming back to my beloved "hardpack".

Why don't you take the day off on Friday and come to MAC Tracks?

I feel you....my downhill skateboard has gotten more use than my snowboard this year, so much use that I've bought a second skatebord rather than a new snowboard. Then again flying down a hill at 35mph is nice regardless of the board

Just checked the snow report for my local hill and they are currently in "snow conservation" mode. That's when they shut down during extreme warm and rainy temps to try to save what snow they have for a day when the weather is better. They leave that layer of ice as a protective barrier instead of grooming. I might as well start looking for wetsuits on ebay and get my windsurfer back out.

Wow man, that seriously blows. But hey - if you learn to ride it, you'll be a complete badass in all other conditions. Think of it as a training challenge?

Badass is right. I met a carver from "I think" Boston a few years ago on Kirkwoods black diamond run "Upper Zachary." He was going off. Just diving into each turn without losing much speed. He said it was too easy after carving back East. I would remember his name if I hadn't broken my clavicle an hour later in "too soft groom" on another black diamond run that was topped instead of groomed. Knocked the top off the moguls with soft pow as a filler. Kirkwood carver Mike D. broke his ankle last month after augering on a soft shoulder.

Kirkwood just got over 3' to 4' over the weekend so I'll wait until Thursday to carve. Half the mountain is on hold this am.

Badass is right. I met a carver from "I think" Boston a few years ago on Kirkwoods black diamond run "Upper Zachary." He was going off. Just diving into each turn without losing much speed. He said it was too easy after carving back East. I would remember his name if I hadn't broken my clavicle an hour later in "too soft groom" on another black diamond run that was topped instead of groomed. Knocked the top off the moguls with soft pow as a filler. Kirkwood carver Mike D. broke his ankle last month after augering on a soft shoulder.

Kirkwood just got over 3' to 4' over the weekend so I'll wait until Thursday to carve. Half the mountain is on hold this am.

This is so true. When I moved out to Oregon after learning on the east coast I was astounded by the snow quality, I don't think I ever had reason to complain about conditions the entire time I lived out there. I took a break from snowboarding for awhile and started back up on the east coast and yeah, riding on the east coast will definitely check your mettle ... the crowded, narrow and sometimes icy slopes here will definitely keep you sharp.

We are having an epic winter. I was riding the gondola today with friends and we agreed that every day was the new best day of the winter.We've been blessed.

Like Kirk said, same way here in Utah. Six out of seven days of the last week were epic powder days! About 100" in the last week. The day that wasn't a great powder day was because it was snowing so hard the state could not plow the road to the mountain, so they didn't open. :biggthump