Note to New Members ×

Liveliest Freeride board?

Jack M

This would be for an experiment for a friend building a dampening kit.... think Hangl but better.... He has one for a freeride board and I'm trying to talk him into doing an alpine version.

Anyone ever had a super lively freeride board? Like, so lively that it's actually a problem?

My friend wants to try his thing on something like that first.

Sorry Jack,kind of beat your friend to it.Have been testing a dampening plate under my Os1 on a heelside freeride board that has a full carbon topsheet(stiff and lively as you can get).Its design is close to the f2 sflex system.

Did it for giggles after a thread a few months back about how cateks"suck" on titanal boards because of point loading

I think there might be some confusion (well at least for me) between liveliness and pop. For me pop is the amount of energy return the board has when it snaps back after being flexed. For me the Madd Freeride and the Rad Air Reto are damp boards (much of the vibration/chop is absorbed by the board) but they have a lot of pop (trampoline like edge transitions, huge ollies). In contrast a Tanker is very damp, but doesn't have a lot of pop to it.

Lively is more of a general feel of energy return - giving you a lot of feedback out the snow you are riding over (you can feed every little bit of the snow). I would describe Donek (without olympic construction) as a lively board.

Just my thoughts.

I think there might be some confusion (well at least for me) between liveliness and pop. For me pop is the amount of energy return the board has when it snaps back after being flexed. For me the Madd Freeride and the Rad Air Reto are damp boards (much of the vibration/chop is absorbed by the board) but they have a lot of pop (trampoline like edge transitions, huge ollies). In contrast a Tanker is very damp, but doesn't have a lot of pop to it.

Lively is more of a general feel of energy return - giving you a lot of feedback out the snow you are riding over (you can feed every little bit of the snow). I would describe Donek (without olympic construction) as a lively board.

Just my thoughts.

I agree.

That is why I mentioned the early Palmer platinums (not very practical due to price though), VERY lively and not very damp. They REALLY want to move, even in a turn.

Sorry Jack,kind of beat your friend to it.Have been testing a dampening plate under my Os1 on a heelside freeride board that has a full carbon topsheet(stiff and lively as you can get).Its design is close to the f2 sflex system.

Did it for giggles after a thread a few months back about how cateks"suck" on titanal boards because of point loading

My friend started making these in '97.

hehe. He does it as a hobby and for friends/family. Builds whole boards integrated with this system. I can tell you... they work. I've never felt a freeride board hold an edge like his.

Hmmm. Got me beat by a few years lol. would love to see some of his work, boards and all.

are those boards any good?

years ago heelside was basically only competitive to snowjam.

I picked it up off one of the local shop riders about four years ago after my board got tweaked close to the end of the season.Basicly an 800 dollar board for 150. Its taken alot of abuse and i wanted something stiff and versatile since i was thinking at the time to switching to plates for a more carve friendly setup.(prebomber days)