Note to New Members ×

35m side cut, dang

GeoffV

For those guys that are long board riders and think they've got a huge sidecut of 18-20m think again. I was searching some of the German manufactures last night and came across Plenk snowboards (link is on alpinecarving.com). They make a 210 board with a 35m sidecut. Man, you've gotta be going Mach 10 before you can even turn that sucker.

:p

plenk_snowboards.bmp

Have not been to the site yet, but thought I'd mentions this years new crop of down hill skiis sport between 37-47m radius and them there downhillers are carving every turn! (when they are not tucked going straight.

There are a few guys (I'm one of them) who like the big fast action!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by GeoffV

Man, you've gotta be going Mach 10 before you can even turn that sucker.

:p

Rather make carved turn. You can turn anything without carving, but question would be how efficiently you use gear.

And actually carve goes into specific speed /specific arc shape only.

Also not just sidewcut radius decides about speed to carve but board's stiffness.

That's a normal physics.

You can estimate your speed circle carved turn (or minimum turn radius) with some inclination and angulation for some sort of ski/snowboard. There are calculators for that on different web sites.

210 is a long bench. 228 is a bit longer and more people could sit at a picknik table:D

I like it. If you try to ride that 35m or so sidecut radius board then watch out for cars. They may have a tighter turn. After all BMW has about 10-12m turn radius.

You need some well shaped trail for that board or go above tree line.

Guest Randy S.

35M is a typo. Look at the specs. It has sidecut for sure.

CMC's spec'd 210 is a blast. I rode mine this morning at mach speed. I need to make another trip up to Bachelor to try out Doug's 228. I definitely get a lot of comments when I ride the 210. I even raced it in an SG this year. What a blast. In between training runs we got the radar out. I only got to 69 on it. I'll try again next season (its getting too slushy and warm now to set speed records).

• 2 years later...

Anybody ridden any of these boards?

I have a friend here who owns 680(that's 168). He asked me if I want it because he's not a hardbooter. I've noticed that it has 33mm of taper and 750(175)has 23mm of reverse taper :freak3:

How do these boards ride? Anybody?

I remember an Aussie speed rider from around 1997 -1998 (Darren Powell) that had a 216cm Coccoon with a 50 metre side cut radius.. 18cm waist

(his gear consisted of Burton Furnace boots 1998 models, Burton Race Plates also 1998 models.) and he also ran a small fairing on his back leg to help with the aerodynamics....

At the time he held the world record at 196.937 km/h...

Basically a point and shoot board... man you gotta have big coljones to do those speeds he had..

BTW whats the world speed record on a snowboard now in 2007???

We are talking plain bomb down a mountain speed... not assisted by any other means except gravity... though if anyone knows of someone with their rocket assisted factory prime doing mach 0.9+ ... pics would surely rock!! LOL

35M is a typo. Look at the specs. It has sidecut for sure.

CMC's spec'd 210 is a blast. I rode mine this morning at mach speed. I need to make another trip up to Bachelor to try out Doug's 228. I definitely get a lot of comments when I ride the 210. I even raced it in an SG this year. What a blast. In between training runs we got the radar out. I only got to 69 on it. I'll try again next season (its getting too slushy and warm now to set speed records).

During a training run for downhill (basically a skier course that they let a couple of us run) I was clocked at 65 with a check turn at the top of the hill 'cause I was about to soil my pants with how much more speed I had carried off the top in my (very tightly stretched) speed suit.

Wish he had been there the next run when I cojoned up and ran that section without brakes. And that was on a Factory Prime 173. The board gets smaller as you go faster that is for sure. Theory of Relativity revealed.

I think Darren Powell still holds the world record. Didn't we have a post about the actual board used for it appearing on ebay or so?

I was made on the speed slope of Les Arcs. Skiers go somewhere around 240ks on that run I think. If you happen to pass by at Les Arcs don't forget to book your ticket for a run down. after 2-3 hours introductory session your allowed to get the hell out of it, they supply you with the gear. So not sure about boarders and the program - for skiers its possible:D

I think Darren Powell still holds the world record. Didn't we have a post about the actual board used for it appearing on ebay or so?

I was made on the speed slope of Les Arcs. Skiers go somewhere around 240ks on that run I think. If you happen to pass by at Les Arcs don't forget to book your ticket for a run down. after 2-3 hours introductory session your allowed to get the hell out of it, they supply you with the gear. So not sure about boarders and the program - for skiers its possible:D

I didn't do a search for that board... i still have the magazine where he appeared though....

I'll be damned doing anything like that.... That's just plain insane...be great to watch though.

My fear glands are fully developed at 32 years of age....

The board in question is owned by the sometime poster (savetheswallowtail). I am unsure of the method of aquisition but it is truly cool:eek: ITs about an inch and a half thick between the binders. and super long. Pop doesn't describe it really it just doesn't bend.:biggthump