How to ride fakie with a square tail

Peter Vu

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a forum and you don't have to be a part. But as I'm quoting your input because I find it as interesting to debate as say racer vs. carver arguments or hardboot / softboot.

Fair enough.

I just find these "arguments" annoying. I REALLY don't care what things are called anymore. Just ride.

Good reply, to which I say maybe this morning I'll be the first on the groomers.
:lol: I love when people use that reply as a "tactical retreat." Ah, newcomers are always entertaining.

Hey Peter, are you going to be riding more this season? I'll be happy to work with you in the park at KW. Last weekend, the liftlines were long, so were were just hiking the top kicker and working on spins. I can grab my backside 360s... but it's so quick... like I grab at 180 and let go at 270... lol. I've been also working on "true" frontside/backside boardslides (i.e. approach a tall down rail from the side and jump over and onto the rail nose first).

:lol: I love when people use that reply as a "tactical retreat."

Did you have something to say or can you also not support the "switch" theory. My arguement wasn't even with Mud. I've given 2 sources stating that I am correct, and could give other term sources that don't even list "switch" in snowboard terminology yet fakie is. Hmmmm.:nono:

AND... a front slide boardslide is called so because it is your front that faces the direction you are going while on the rail, not the approach.
As Phil pointed out, this is incorrect. The origins of the terminology are from surfing, and have to do with the front or backside of your body facing the wave as you make the turn. So a frontside lipslide would have your front facing the direction of the slide but a frontside boardslide which really came from the older vert trick rock&roll boardslide has your back facing direction of the slide.

It's all very confusing to snowboarders who don't have the background of either surfing or vert skating, but it becomes clearer when you've got a lip to deal with. That's why I say heelside or toeside for turns, to avoid confusion.

I actually prefer sometimes to ride fakie now in hb's...it seems somewhat easier even though I'm turned further back. On my 4807 (swallow tail with little upturn) you just have to make sure you keep weight back and not initiate on the front leg at all. It helps if the snow isn't rutted, tracked and soft.

I remember one day cliping in at the top of the lift a group of teenagers were straping in. I had my 4807 out and I could over hear them discussing it's shape. The loudest comment (being the last one) was "...yeah but you can't ride switch on it" to which I started out regular spun around fakie and proceded to carve down the run a bit. ( Not spectacular) but I glanced back to see confused looks on their faces and then turned off into the woods for some pow.

J

:lol::lol::lol::lol:sweet!

I am comfortable carving fakie with high angles (it's like ice skating backward) on a twin tip.

When it comes to square tail, my confidence goes to zero as I am quite worried to dig the "nose" into the snow, especially the softer snow we have out West. Any riding tips to prevent this? :confused:

I feel the same way, I love to lay out a big carve, jump off the loaded tail, 180 & land backwards into the next carve of the series, lay out a few carves tail first & flip it back to foward carves w/out missing a beat. This feels awsome on any board with an upturned tail, down right scary on a square tail. It may be partially psychological but it doesn't take much of a wobble to dig that sharp corner in & eat it.

That said, what is the benefit of a square tail, is there one? I really want a hard carving board but I want to be comfortable riding fakswitchie.

Originally Posted by photodad2001

a front slide boardslide is called so because it is your front that faces the direction you are going while on the rail, not the approach.

As Phil pointed out, this is incorrect. The origins of the terminology are from surfing, and have to do with the front or backside of your body facing the wave as you make the turn.

It's all very confusing to snowboarders who don't have the background.

Yea, I only learned proper boardslide/lipslide terminology a few years ago myself when I was learning to do frontside boardslides. Before that I was wrong like Photodad. Eh, live and learn.

As Phil mentioned, you can approach all the basic boxes and rails straight on... but as you progress, there will be park elements that are too high to approach straight on and you have to come at an angle... that's where frontside/backside boardslide/lipslide terminology is still important. Here's a video on how to do a backside lipslide and you can agree it look way more difficult than your typical frontside boardslide.

Yea, I only learned proper boardslide/lipslide terminology a few years ago myself when I was learning to do frontside boardslides. Before that I was wrong like Photodad. Eh, live and learn.

You need to jump back a few posts where I acknowledge the frontside / backside issue. Haven't seen that from anyone else here on anyother topic. Too stuborn we all are. I would also say that as Phil pointed out that the masses dictate the language and I talked to a couple of old skate buddies (both with over 20 years riding and skating experience) and they thought the same as I originally did. Since we don't get many waves here in Ohio everyone around here calls it the way I do. But if you want to keep calling pop soda, and football soccer that cool with me. Regional differences. You said you were 28? Well I may have been calling them by different terms but was performing them before you were in Kindergarten. Don't they teach respect for your elders anymore?:flamethro

The origins of the terminology are from surfing, and have to do with the front or backside of your body facing the wave as you make the turn. So a frontside lipslide would have your front facing the direction of the slide but a frontside boardslide which really came from the older vert trick rock&roll boardslide has your back facing direction of the slide.

I do have extensive experience in vert and believe it or not I even surfed a while when I got the chance. The confussion came when streetstyle railslides came into the equation. There isn't a trany so being from Ohio I called it as the masses did. I'm going to make this forum's record book by being the only one on here to say "you're right" TWICE in the same thread!!!!!!! Beat that! Stuborn bunch aren't we.:D

does a square tail have any benifit at all for the recreational rider or skier???:confused:

The flat tail is awesome because you can store the board on it's tail anywhere without it falling over. You can lean it up against any lodge window and keep an eye on it while you rub the wifes' feet.. Also, it's much more stable in the gear locker...gotta love when the freshly tuned AM board falls over and hits pavement...or slices you.

Another defensive bonus is the squaretails are usually beefed up with extra metal back there so it really gouges the ptex on the front of jackass' skis who bonk tail in the lift line every time it moves...

I used to ride my old Oxygen KR159 Asym fakie all the time...but it may have had a little lip...There's a Japanese carving vid around that shows some guy riding fakie SICK on a square tail. I'm sure I'd crash hard ( for no good reason IMO) if I tried it on my race board.

Peter, as people said, as long as you are gentle on initiating the carve so as not to drive the square corner into the snow. You can carve pretty hard, you just need to ride a little bit in the back seat.

Boardski, a square tail gives you more effective edge and well let you hold onto the end of the carve tell the *very end* so you can load up the tail and air into your next carve. At least thats what it seems like to me. I could be wrong.

You need to jump back a few posts where I acknowledge the frontside / backside issue. Haven't seen that from anyone else here on anyother topic.
Lol, the whole week you've been posting on BOL? "I keed I keed" It's all in good fun. I have been wrong many many times... maybe I'll get wiser with age. :cool:

Anyways, I meant to say mixing up frontside/boardslide is an honest mistake and that a lot of people make... myself included! I'm just saying be careful when correct someone on terminology, especially when you might be wrong... or a few decades out of date.

Too stuborn we all are.You said you were 28? Well I may have been calling them by different terms but was performing them before you were in Kindergarten.
Hehe, yet another cliched comeback. The previous one was when you were like "Well whatevers, while you fiddle with this Internet thing... I'm going to be snowboarding"

Other amusing inane reples are posts that follow Godwin's Law.

Rick-roll posts (stupidest thing ever... do NOT click on that link).

Or my personal favorite. BUNNY WITH PANCAKE :D

bunny-pancake.jpg

Lol, the whole week you've been posting on BOL? "I keed I keed" It's all in good fun. I have been wrong many many times... maybe I'll get wiser with age. :cool:

It is possible to read all the threads on this forum within a week. And before you say that I'm claiming to have done so I haven't, but I have gotten a good feel for some of the members, some more than others.:rolleyes:

As Phil pointed out, this is incorrect. The origins of the terminology are from surfing, and have to do with the front or backside of your body facing the wave as you make the turn. So a frontside lipslide would have your front facing the direction of the slide but a frontside boardslide which really came from the older vert trick rock&roll boardslide has your back facing direction of the slide.

It's all very confusing to snowboarders who don't have the background of either surfing or vert skating, but it becomes clearer when you've got a lip to deal with. That's why I say heelside or toeside for turns, to avoid confusion.

I believe Jack issued a mandate awhile back that we NOT use the terms "backside & frontside" and instead only use "heelside & toeside" so as not to further confuse the terminally confused.:smashfrea:confused::rolleyes:

post-123-141842246046_thumb.jpg

This thread makes me LOLer,,,,

The term is SWITCH. period.

Fakie is similar in the fact that one must enter the trick backwards and facing the wrong direction, perform the entire trick in reverse, but land it regular. Hence "Fake-ing it" as they did not completely do the truck in reverse stance and orientation on the board. It was coined in a halfpipe competition in which a competetor tried making up some bull crap to "be original", and it blew up in his face. When he rode and threw a trick the rest of the day he was called " "FAK-IE" in a jeering taunt. The announcers picked up on this and then started calling it a

FAKIE synonomym for fake reverse.

Now that this is cleared up,

GOOD LUCK WITH THE SWITCH RIDING THE FLAT TAIL :smashfrea

So many terms, such little time.

I think I am going to switch backside to riding fakie on my split-tail burner square tail and hope I don't catch an edge and get launched over the frontside.

Not on a split, but a regular square tail is good for grooming hits for the jibbers if they don't have a shovel.

Funny talking about surf terms. I tried to get on one of those big orange rental boards that seemed to perpetually float in the surf at Waikiki Beach in Hawaii as a kid. Never managed it. But I think about surfing all the time when I am on the white wave.

Uhhhmmm, I think I'll just go ride now.