Note to New Members ×

Help a brother out

hockey2

Hockey2,

Stop! Don't go out until this addressed.

The one photo gives it all away. On that side shot you can see the TD1 toe clip does not have the set-screw. That in fine in itself, you can ride the binding like that no problem. What is a MAJOR issue is that the toe clip is NOT clamping down all the way onto the boot. You can see this by the fact the toe clip is not all the way down onto the boot. It appears to be hovering over the boot. Bad is SO many ways. Think of it as a door that is not shut all the way, it will pop open at any time.

What I suspect is happening is those very old boots have a wide toe area and the sides of the binding are rubbing on the rubber sole of the boot. This keeps the toe bail and clip from actually clamping down. When you clamp them down does it make a sharp and crisp "snap" or kind of just stop and feel mushy? I bet it does not snap down.

You need to address this before you go out again. The easiest way would be to look and see where the rubber sole of the boot interferes with the toe bail, then sand that rubber off until you get a nice firm snap out of the clip and the clip sits down ON the boot. Modern day snowboard boots have relatively narrow toe profiles but some of the older boots did not.

Call me at 1-800-277-2037 if you have any other questions on this. Or e-mail me (below). But don't go out until this is fixed.

Fear of god aside....Welcome! We'll get you going :biggthump

Hockey2,

The one photo gives it all away. On that side shot you can see the TD1 toe clip does not have the set-screw. That in fine in itself, you can ride the binding like that no problem. What is a MAJOR issue is that the toe clip is NOT clamping down all the way onto the boot. You can see this by the fact the toe clip is not all the way down onto the boot. It appears to be hovering over the boot. Bad is SO many ways. Think of it as a door that is not shut all the way, it will pop open at any time.

What I suspect is happening is those very old boots have a wide toe area and the sides of the binding are rubbing on the rubber sole of the boot. This keeps the toe bail and clip from actually clamping down. When you clamp them down does it make a sharp and crisp "snap" or kind of just stop and feel mushy? I bet it does not snap down.

You need to address this before you go out again. The easiest way would be to look and see where the rubber sole of the boot interferes with the toe bail, then sand that rubber off until you get a nice firm snap out of the clip and the clip sits down ON the boot. Modern day snowboard boots have relatively narrow toe profiles but some of the older boots did not.

Call me at 1-800-277-2037 if you have any other questions on this. Or e-mail me (below). But don't go out until this is fixed.

You're 100% right. It does not "snap" down, it feels very mushy and hovers above the boot.

Exactly what part of the boot should should I sand off?

hockey2,

Have not done ones of these in years, but generally you ONLY want to sand down the rubber sole area of the boot and not the actual hard plastic of the shell. The shell itself is somewhat thin and you could sand through it before you know it. Is the interference with the toe bail down near the rubber sole of the boot?

Am I nuts or is that bail FUBAR'd? Looks like a crobar special. The bend in the bail wire looks straightened and the toe lever has no over-center cam effect.

If that's not the case and the camera is playing tricks on me, I think Fin is right (duh, he would be) - the boot looks too wide in the toe. It appears to be interfering/colliding with the bail wire.

Those are ancient, obsolete, worn out boots. I think you should return them to whoever you got them from and demand a refund.

Hockey2,

Fin

So when you say sand down the runner sole, do you mean the bottom of the boot that gives you traction to walk on?

1. How the hell do you get into the bindings?

Front foot first. Practice at home on the carpet. No really. You have to get the length of the bindngs just right with Intecs or they won't click in.

2. Coming out of bindings

Can't happen. You have them set up incorrectly. Post here and ask (!) or re-read the instructions, or take them back to the shop for instruction. They should be rock solid.

3. I did "the norm", but I still skidded a lot too. Any sugestions?

Practice. Probably it will take a little while, but you'll get it. You will likely want to tweak your stance (the advice here about front boot upright, back angled is good).

4. It was 1 degree today and the snow was nice and firm which I thought would be ideal. Can it be too hard (wasn't icy) or is it just that I suck?

For day one, anybody would suck. Carving a board is the pinnacle of the sport - something only the dedicated is going to get to. For sure some people would rip on day one, but not with a crappy binding setup and not generally.

bowdown

So I've been messing with my boots and bindings for over an hour now and I just can't get it to "snap" onto the boot. It's folds over but it's still mushy. Are these boots just not going to fit with these bindings??

I purchased them on EBAY and the guy assured me they would fit with TD1's.

Check for clearance between the front bail and the boot. You should be able to pass at least a business card between them along the full length of the bail to the shoulder bolts when fully clamped up. That's what Fin was getting at. :) If there's contact, the bail may not be allowed to move enough to get a safe connection.

Another option is that the toe clip may not be going over center before the top portion hits the boot. I found with my old Burton boots that I had to have the screws (that you are missing) all the way out to ensure that it went over center.

If you draw a line from the shoulder bolts to the point where the bail passes through the center of the toe clip, the point where it contacts the boot MUST be forward (away from the heel) of that line. That's what 'over center' means. Not over center = going to release when bumped.

If it's not over center, I don't know what options there are other than bending the toe clip so that the L-shape is more open. This is a last resort!

Now: L

After bending: L

A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

7wym44j.jpg

In this quick sketch the blue/green point is the contact point between the toe clip and the boot. It absolutely has to be to the left of the red line as shown in that picture. But, you have to view the boot straight from the side, not slightly from the rear as this picture is.

Good luck!

A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

7wym44j.jpg

In this quick sketch the blue/green point is the contact point between the toe clip and the boot. It absolutely has to be to the left of the red line as shown in that picture. But, you have to view the boot straight from the side, not slightly from the rear as this picture is.

Good luck!

Man, you guys sure are helpful. Unfortunately it looks like I'm screwed. I was checking out pics of new boots and it looks like mine are too old school. I think they're too wide.

Now I'm bummed...

Man, you guys sure are helpful. Unfortunately it looks like I'm screwed. I was checking out pics of new boots and it looks like mine are too old school. I think they're too wide.

Don't give up yet! There were (and still are!) lots of people riding Burton boots in TD1s. As Derf mentioned, there are wider shoulder bolts and bails available from Bomber for AT boots. But first: where are the bails contacting the boot?

Of course, the more money you spend on fixing this problem the less you have to buy more modern boots... Been there, done that, ended up with some NOS Deeluxe 413s and never looked back.

Now I'm bummed...

I tried to mock up your setup in my basement today....I have the same boots(my first pair, never got rid of them) and an extra pair of TD1's.

The boots will not fit the stock TD1's. The toe box is too large. It appears that any grinding would weaken the boot.

The inexpensive way out is to find a pair of Burton race plates.. But if you can swing it, new boots w/ thermofit liners will make your feet very happy.

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to check that out Paul. I'm glad to know I'm not going crazy. I kept thinking that there is no way in hell that these fit.

Luckily about 1/2 hour after my WTB post I scored a pair of AF700 boots. I should have them today. Can't wait to hit the slopes tomorrow.

Yeah, but in all my years of riding I've seen a handful of hardbooters. I ride mainly at Whiteface. Anyone else ride there??

I'll be up at whiteface next wednesday, but I'll be riding all the greens because im taking my girlfriend and her friend. I won't be able to hang with you much, and i have limited experience anyway, but i might be able to take a few runs if youre interested. Where else do you ride? there's usually a carver or two over at Jiminy Peak, and a few of us go to Gore every once in a while. One of the best carvers i know practically lives at Royal Mountain, which is in the lower Adirondacks, near Caroga Lake. A lot of carvers also go to Windham in the Catskills (that might be too far away for you though).

Just got the AF 700's, put them in the bindings and got a crisp "snap" out of them when I locked them on to the boot. Now it makes perfect sense. The toe box of the Burton boots was too wide for the bails of the TD1's. These fit in perfectly.

Gore and Whiteface are about the only two places I ride, but I have a friend who goes to Royal so maybe I can hook up with your friend for a few pointers. Let him know there's a newbie hardbooter who will gladly supply him with all the beers he wants if he shows me the ropes.

Right on! Glad to hear it worked out. Those 700's area great boot, you'll be very happy. Just make sure you have the set-screw on the toe clip in far enough to give you a "gap" to get under it and open the clip. No more then that.

Let us know how it goes.