Note to New Members ×

Wax Iron Mishap

nekdut

So got one of those nice fancy Toko wax irons earlier this year when they were up on Steepandcheap, and I was using it this past weekend to wax some of my gear. It works great and I highly recommend it! However, I accidentally knocked the iron onto the floor (hotside down!! :mad: ) on which I had a plastic tarp. The temp was hot enough to pretty quickly melt a bunch of the tarp onto the surface of the shiny new iron.

I've picked off as much as I can but there are still some plastic bits in some of the crevasses on the surface of the iron. Any ideas on how to clean this off completely? I don't want to melt any of the tarp plastic into my board's bases.

trikerdad,

YMMV, but I've noticed that on mine, I only need to use the lowest setting for most wax. It gets hotter than necessary for most waxes (start smoking). Check the recommended temp for your wax in C and try to match the iron.

S Dold: no teflon on it. It would be rare for a ski iron to have a non-stick coating since 1) there's no point - wax won't stick, and 2) waxing irons get lots of little scratches in the base since most of us wax more than we tune and there are often little burrs, nicks, scratches and gouges in the edges that scrape up the base of the iron.

get it as hot as you can add wax and wipe/scrub with something that will stand up to the heat...alternating between fine steel wool and a cotton/terry shop towel is best....the wax will act as a lubricant/detergent and help remove the offending substance

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. So it sounds like I should crank the thing up to high for a few minutes and throw it into a vat of gasoline, right? :biggthump

Just kidding. I'll first heat and scrub, then if that doesn't work, a bit of WD40 on a cold base.

I had a board from a certain manufacturer that had a real ****ty base that apparently had a melting point that was about the same as red colored swix and allot of that base ended up on the iron

I **** you not, I had never seen anything like it, I was so weirded out by it I had another person wax it with their iron to see is the same thing happened and it did. if it was not the base there was a really interesting contaminate on it.

anyway, use fine grit sand paper, sometimes you'll need to use it on your iron anyway if that soft aluminum gets nicked up.

I had a board from a certain manufacturer that had a real ****ty base that apparently had a melting point that was about the same as red colored swix and allot of that base ended up on the iron

I **** you not, I had never seen anything like it, I was so weirded out by it I had another person wax it with their iron to see is the same thing happened and it did. if it was not the base there was a really interesting contaminate on it.

anyway, use fine grit sand paper, sometimes you'll need to use it on your iron anyway if that soft aluminum gets nicked up.

hate to ask, but who was it ?