Note to New Members ×

Palmer, Jacobellis Win Jeep King of the Mountain SBX

gburgess

Just watched the course clip. Looks like there were a lot of slalom gate turns? Safety is important, however... This course would appear to favour (cdn) "first out" and makes passing extra challenging. A rider weight of 185 lbs + may have been the ticket. I know its hard to build a good course early in the year. Good sbx design tries to avoid turning gates - with out a bank because the riders tend to end up single file.

just having palm in the mix makes me wanna watch - hard to believe this was 15 years ago

Palm in Creatures

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfImr8tDe64&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfImr8tDe64&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

for the info on Graham, I'm encouraged to see "the little one" dispatch my misguided weight requirement for SBX riding.

My ski background sometimes warps my opinions. I should know better, I was talking to Matt Morrison last spring, offering up "I guess Fawcett wants you to gain weight" (he's about 160 lbs) - no...

creatures of habit

if one only the part before the dummy drop were on there "last cigarette boys, I'm goin' big!"

as in “it’s hella-cold” :cool:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxW7lf4OeU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxW7lf4OeU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• 4 weeks later...

I think Seth is strictly a softbooter in SBX, but I believe there were some hardbooters in the Olympic SBX. For some reason I recall the announcers discussing the difference in race strategy between soft and hardbooters.

Could be wrong though.

The USASA Nationals is not a "king of the mountain" level event, but when I raced SBX at the USASA Nationals in 2006 I wore hardboots and used a slightly rounded tail carving board. It had its advantages and disadvantages.

i forgot that he won at the olympics in softees. I think the King of the Mtn series made it illegal to wear hardboots. I know you can in the olympics, since the 2nd place was on plates.

I wanna run a sbx course because they look like they're a freaking blast, especially in that practice video posted above.

I think Seth is strictly a softbooter in SBX, but I believe there were some hardbooters in the Olympic SBX. For some reason I recall the announcers discussing the difference in race strategy between soft and hardbooters.

Could be wrong though.

The USASA Nationals is not a "king of the mountain" level event, but when I raced SBX at the USASA Nationals in 2006 I wore hardboots and used a slightly rounded tail carving board. It had its advantages and disadvantages.

I thought Jasey Jay and Graham ended up in a tussle at the end (Anderson in hard and Watanabe in soft) at KOM last year where Jasey tried to knock him down basically as that was the only way he could win.

Or was that two years ago?

Graham and I started racing together a while back. First he was a grom I could still beat and then the next year he started kicking butt. Glad to see he podiumed.

carvedog,

I remember watching the thing between JC and Graham. I taped it and then watched it several times (a few times in slowmo). Graham (essentially a no name at the time) made a great pass on JC (JC was the current World Champion at PGS, PSL, and top 10 SBX) and personally I think JC (whom I like) was embarrassed by the move and if I remember correctly, after Graham crossed the finish line, JC came up hard on him either knocking him down or almost doing so. Either way, it madd JC look petty and mean spirited (which I don't believe he is either).

Gleb,

I found it to be pretty intense.

My first SBX race (USASA series race), because of my age there were no riders in my group. So they put me in a group with a guy who was a 2 time USASA Legends champ, another guy who had done some higher level racing, and a guy who was pretty experienced in SBX. So here's newbie (who runs about 5'8 racing guys who were all at least 6 foot), in his first SBX, out of the gates, hanging with them, and a little ways down the course the pack bunches up. So here I am with one guy directly in front of me, and another to my left and right. I was essentially encased within a human box, riding by feel (I could not see anything). I was essentially riding blind. Needless to say, especially my first time out, it was pretty intense.

You’ve got to hand it to short guys like Graham riding at 5’6 against lots of 6 foot plus guys. He made the U.S. Olympic team as an alternate in 2006, and finished in the top 20 at the Worlds in 2005. Given the amount of racing he does, you’ve got to believe he finds himself riding blind more times than he would like. And he's riding on very demanding courses as well.

As was already mentioned, you have the USASA Mass series nearby. You can't ask for much more--right down the road.

Gleb, if you're afraid of contact on the course do what I do, once the gates open, count to 1000 ten and then go. You'll have the course to yourself. The only problem is if you get stuck in a group where everyone counts to 1000 ten, but that's where know your competition comes in.