Note to New Members ×

Just Joined and looking for ride options

J-bonz

Hey all,

My name is Jack. I just moved to Milwaukee Wi from Cleveland, Oh and am looking to get back into riding. Laugh but, I used to ride soft burton work boots on a gratefull dead K2 Dark Star at race style angles. It was great but I always wanted an alpine board with hard boots.

My questions are.............

1. Am I limited in boots and board sizes since I roughly wear size 12" boots? I am 6 foot and weigh only around 180 lbs

2. Am I limited on bindings with big boots?

3. Like everyone else I do check out ebay. I would like to buy some used equipment but dont want to spend money on something I cant ride.

Any sugestions would be great or links to other posts.

Jack

1-------Not necessarily. You can run higher angles to eliminate toe/heel drag and still maintain controleasier than in softboots. It's mainly a matter of preference and riding conditions. Board size you may want to look for 165-170 ish...if your resort is crowded and narrow, err on the smaller size to turn quicker.

2-------Most all bindings you'll find are compatible with your size foot (probably a mondo size 28-29 (hard boots are sized by the modo point scale). You will most likely look for Large size bindings if there are different sizes available for a particular model.

3--------You'll get varying responses on the style of board to try, but I'd not spend more than about 200-250 on a first board untill you know what you like to ride. Probably something in the 20-22 cm wais range to allow lower angles for a more comfortable entry into hardbooting.

You may even find others in your area who will let you try out equip. "We" are a fairly accomodating bunch of gear-heads. and welcome.

You'll get this sooner or later but do fill out your profile so others nearby can help you easier.

J

ps. Feel free to consult the "Bible" of carving Here as well.:biggthump

1. Am I limited in boots and board sizes since I roughly wear size 12" boots? I am 6 foot and weigh only around 180 lbs

2. Am I limited on bindings with big boots?

3. Like everyone else I do check out ebay. I would like to buy some used equipment but dont want to spend money on something I cant ride.

Any sugestions would be great or links to other posts.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Got a buddy here whose brother has a bar in Cleveland. Aj Rocco's, ever tipped one there? he asks of the guy who rode the dark star.

Welcome to bomber. DBL check your mondo size, I wear 10.5-11 in street shoes and I ride a 28.5 in hard boots. Usually better buys here than on the bay. If you are serious though get some good boots. The rest will follow.

Good stuff here too.

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/tech_articles.cfm

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/welcome_center.cfm

Carve on.

For my first 10 years in a hardboot setup, i used a set of 29.5 burton reactors, followed up by a set of 30.0 burton furnaces. Both boots I found at a tremendous deal, and I didnt really care that i swam in them...especially since it's all I could find at the time here in MN, and I refused to use ski boots. Gotta love extra socks! Keep in mind, I use a 28.0 Head boot now. My point is this, even using huge boots, like the 30.0 furnace, I was able to set up my Factory Primes, all with a 18cm waist, with little to no toe/heel hang. Yea, I rode 69 degrees front and back, but it still worked. I prefered the high angles. However, given the current sources for hardbooters, you should be able to find something used, or new, depending on budget to fit you riding needs. I'm now living by the philosophy that WIDER is better. My Donek has a 23.5cm waist, and my angles are down to 52 front and rear. I have a Burton Factory Prime 7.3, w a 18cm waist w Burton race plates mounted and ready for some big boots. If interested, let me know. Its just sitting in my board case, as i have no use for it anymore. If money is not an issue, get a DONEK, some TD2's and a good boot.

~Holla

Thanks for all that responded. My first step is going to be to buy boots. I would like to buy these new and be done with it. As far as decks and bindings I would be happy with an old burton. Diggen in MN I might have to take you up on the offer. Just need to get boots first.

Fastskiguy, After Christmas I should be out riding. Got pick up my girls new board from the shop in ohio. I wont be back there untill the holidays.

Carvedog, Yes I have tipped a few back at AJ's. I was there for a cool regea benefit night for all of cleveland college radio stations. And yes I was the only one at brandywine trying to carve with soft boots on the GD board.

Thanks again all

FYI, I found out from the site how to mondo size for boots..............:)

Thanks for all that responded. My first step is going to be to buy boots.

Excellent call. Get boots that make your feet happy and aren't too stiff, and you're off to the best possible start.

Most of what's currently being made is available right here at the Bomber store, the other thing to look at is UPZ: www.upzboots.com

Since you will probably be ordering your boots online, there is an excellent guide to determining your proper mondopoint here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/Sizing_boots.pdf

when you buy your boots new they will probably seem a bit tight but as the liner packs out they will fit better.

Head boots are wider than usual, so if your feet are wide, they are a good choice. from what I understand, burton boots are on the narrow side and I'm not sure about deeluxe/raichle.

Your #1 priority should be proper fitting boots!

I would spend the majority of my cash on those, and buy a cheaper board/binding if necessary. Then upgrade the board/bindings later down the road.

Also use the shell method for getting the right size. You should be able to do this at a ski shop. Take the liner out of the boot and stick your foot in there. Check the clearance between the back of the shell and the back of your foot. Two fingers is ideal. Three is too big, one is too small. Not sure if the link above uses this method but when I used the pencil/trace method it was almost 1 size too big!

Your #1 priority should be proper fitting boots!

I would spend the majority of my cash on those, and buy a cheaper board/binding if necessary. Then upgrade the board/bindings later down the road.

Also use the shell method for getting the right size. You should be able to do this at a ski shop. Take the liner out of the boot and stick your foot in there. Check the clearance between the back of the shell and the back of your foot. Two fingers is ideal. Three is too big, one is too small. Not sure if the link above uses this method but when I used the pencil/trace method it was almost 1 size too big!

I was wondering if getting sized for ski-boots uses the same mondo scale

I was wondering if getting sized for ski-boots uses the same mondo scale

Sizing does vary somewhat by manufacturer and model. I have worn Head ski and snowboard boots and found the sizing between the two to be consistent.

With Raichle/Deeluxe, many including myself have observed that the AF series (Traclk 700, Indy, Suzuka, AF700, AF600) fits differently from the SB series (everything else).

If you are buying new and are near one of the few shops that stocks boots, your best bet is to buy in person. Totally worth any added expense. If you must buy online, as I have always been forced to as the nearest hardboot-stocked store is 10 hours away, then simply follow these rules http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/Sizing_boots.pdf and you will have the best shot at getting the right size.

Sizing does vary somewhat by manufacturer and model. I have worn Head ski and snowboard boots and found the sizing between the two to be consistent.

With Raichle/Deeluxe, many including myself have observed that the AF series (Traclk 700, Indy, Suzuka, AF700, AF600) fits differently from the SB series (everything else).

If you are buying new and are near one of the few shops that stocks boots, your best bet is to buy in person. Totally worth any added expense. If you must buy online, as I have always been forced to as the nearest hardboot-stocked store is 10 hours away, then simply follow these rules http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/Sizing_boots.pdf and you will have the best shot at getting the right size.

Thanks Mike

Well,

I measured my foot and it was 28.8. Therefore after reading the bootfitting instructions I will order a 28. I decided to buy new and want to spend between 400 to 500. I searched and read all the threads on boots. I norrowed down my options to

1. UPZ rtr

2. Head Stratos Pro

3. Deeluxe Track 325

4. Deeluxe Track 225

Could you please give your suggestions. Remember, I will probably ride at the most 30 days a season. I want to buy a boot that will not have to touch. I dont want to worry about adding different style buckles, lean adjusters, or the inside shells. If I'm asking anything stupid, call me out on it....... Its a good way to learn.

Thanks again,

Jack

Well,

I measured my foot and it was 28.8. Therefore after reading the bootfitting instructions I will order a 28. I decided to buy new and want to spend between 400 to 500. I searched and read all the threads on boots. I norrowed down my options to

1. UPZ rtr

2. Head Stratos Pro

3. Deeluxe Track 325

4. Deeluxe Track 225

Could you please give your suggestions. Remember, I will probably ride at the most 30 days a season. I want to buy a boot that will not have to touch. I dont want to worry about adding different style buckles, lean adjusters, or the inside shells. If I'm asking anything stupid, call me out on it....... Its a good way to learn.

Thanks again,

Jack

Oh, I am leaning towards the UPZs

Three posts in a row. That's awesome. :biggthump

I know you said you didn't want to mess with the inner shells. That is fine to start with, but I cannot recommend enough the value of good footbed and custom fitted liners. ( Mine are Conformable foam injected liners )

If I had $500 ( like before I had kids ) and knowing what I know now, I would rather pick up some used shells and get custom beds and liner.

So comfy, so warm. Just awesome performance. I had foot pain for years until I did this. Now I don't.

Done preaching now.

Pastor Jerry

Of the Reformed Church of the Comfortable Foot.

And God said unto Man, Go forth and carve and be ye comfortable in your souls and your soles.