Note to New Members ×

Why do racers run flexible bindings and we don't?

MUD

from what I understand is that it's a couple hundred thousand to get a new boot from the cad to the hill, after all the development costs. not sure how reliable that number as it came from a solomon rep, same guy also went on for 45 minutes about why capped skis are better.

I think the shells are injection molded, but they might be roto-molded. If they're roto-molded, an aluminum mold for each size would be around $20k if you went off-shore. Injection molded - more like $80-120k (off-shore again) as they'd have to be steel and a multi-piece mold with moving parts.

Then you need the machines, the process time, and a prescribed plastic formulation. Probably the biggest cost of all would be the liability insurance. :(

I worked in the plastics industry for a few years. It's a crazy business that's all about efficiency in huge runs. How anyone makes snowboard boots for such a small market is amazing to me! We had a $2-million manufacturing cell that made tubs and lids for cake frosting. Sixteen 16-oz tubs came out of the machine every ~4.3 seconds - 24 hours a day/7 days a week. That's a LOT of frosting!

i have a hard time believing that it can really be that expensive. how do companies like daleboot offer such unique boots in what i assume to be limited runs? it seems like there should be a cheaper way to do this. alternately, a member of the bomber forums could win the lottery and start a boot company...

One word: Liability

Perhaps so, but it seems likely to me that the PR payoff would be a bigger boon to them compared with the minor headache it would take for their team of lawyers (who are almost certainly on retainer or working in-house anyway), to draw up the necessary liability-assumption and waiver paperwork, to make the transfer safe for them.

i have a hard time believing that it can really be that expensive. how do companies like daleboot offer such unique boots in what i assume to be limited runs? it seems like there should be a cheaper way to do this. alternately, a member of the bomber forums could win the lottery and start a boot company...

It's true.

Now you understand why the boots we have, are the boots we had.

The cheapest injection molding mold I have seen recently with NO moving parts other than the ejection pins was a handle piece for a biomed device, it was $20K.

I am on it. Played again this week. If I do win I am only going to make them in 28.5. Sorry guys. :biggthump

Perhaps so, but it seems likely to me that the PR payoff would be a bigger boon to them compared with the minor headache it would take for their team of lawyers (who are almost certainly on retainer or working in-house anyway), to draw up the necessary liability-assumption and waiver paperwork, to make the transfer safe for them.

One would think so. It would be nice, I would love to pick up a pait of "improved" Fires....

I was Burton furnace, fire boot rider for more than ten years and bought three

sets of boots to have enough for the rest of my life!

I tried all boots from other brands in that time and couldn´t ride with them !

Then I switched to the UPZ Prototypes and we put a lot of input and knowledge in that boot.

I think the first two series had been a little bit too stiff for the average rider, because they were too much influenced by racers who want a stiff boot.

For 2008 we made the flex 15% softer!

I can definetly say that the new 2008 UPZ has the best performance I ever

could feel, not too stiff and totally comfortable with the strongest hold of the heel without bombing the buckles!

I was Burton furnace, fire boot rider for more than ten years and bought three

sets of boots to have enough for the rest of my life!

I tried all boots from other brands in that time and couldn´t ride with them !

Then I switched to the UPZ Prototypes and we put a lot of input and knowledge in that boot.

I think the first two series had been a little bit too stiff for the average rider, because they were too much influenced by racers who want a stiff boot.

For 2008 we made the flex 15% softer!

I can definetly say that the new 2008 UPZ has the best performance I ever

could feel, not too stiff and totally comfortable with the strongest hold of the heel without bombing the buckles!

Cyrus,

Thanks for the input. How does the new UPZ compare other boots stiffnes wise, what is it close too? Have they improved the liners? I know some riders have had issues with them in the past.

I ride KTM's so I find myself drawn to the orange ones.:eplus2:

Thanks,