Note to New Members ×

Zylon vs Titanal

Pow

I asked Frank (VIRUS) to the option of building a METAL Gladiator. He said that this type of boards (Extreme series) aren't suitable to be build in metal.

I think also of a result of that 3D patern on top of it............ and of course the ridingcharacteristics of the EXTREME Series aren't cooperative with Metal.: agressive, certain type of ridingstyle, pop, giving back and more in return what you give the board. That's all in contradictory with Metal boards.

Pow, if you are looking for something narrow, fast, responsive then go for the extreme series and go for the Zylon if you are willing to spend that money.

If you are more into something wider for EC style riding than go for the metal. It's a perfect fit for that style in my opinion.

At least the above is my combo and it works well for me....

Cheers

post-2318-141842241079_thumb.jpg

As mentioned before: The materials provide completely different characteristics.

Zylon: agressive, responsive

Metal: calm and damp.

It is a matter of your preferences. In Frank's factory I've seen the production of a Berserker in Titanal. Must be for someone of you guys.

I would say, this is like buying a ferrari and then hanging a trailer on its back. If you are interested in a metal virus, go for the Vampire or the xtreme carver.

For all you metal - freaks I tried to make a nice toy!

full Carbon Kevlar composite mix in combination with titanal!

More snappy than pure titanal, less than a Zylon board!

Bola ordered two of those beasts!

Berserker titanium ( but we can do all models in titanal versions!)

So Merry Christmas and " mirror mirror on the wall ...."!

post-995-141842241081_thumb.jpg

I rode one day Zylon and metal board from another company. I was thrilled with Zylon board, Aluminum board felt somehow dead. If this is what most people call damped than OK. I always wonder about damping ability and torsional stiffnes of thin wide sheet of aluminium alloy. I think most of the damping comes from layer of rubber beneath metal and overall construction of the board. Virus carving series boards or Madds are nice examples of the boards with excellent ability to damp unwanted vibration and still be lively ride. Another interesting example how to deal with vibrations and high speed chatter is Rossignol VAS system. Once I took old board apart to see how this one is done.

How I see this metal fewer? People want them, manufacturers would be stupid not to build them. They look definitely cool. That polished Virus is a beauty, but how it will look after a month on the hills, when any idiot will step on it in the lift lines?

Got first aluminum ski at 1974, first precipitation harden aluminum alloy around 1905 in Germany. Titanal nice marketing trick. Very clever and catchy brand name for public.

that ****ing rocks, if it offered no advantage I'd not of decided to buy only metal boards.

they do feel a little dead until you realize it's because they're eating up all the nose flap that other boards feed right back to your boots.

if you're riding perfect groom metal really only shows huge advantage when you're going very fast but when it's rutted up, icy, a little wind blown, chalky, inconsistantly groomed, refrozen or crusty, metal is the best tool I've been on.

so, 95% of the time metal boards are superior tools for me.

the first run they feel dead but after you put in some time and get used to the ride they are great.

The Madd 158 is a board that took some getting used to too......

if you're riding perfect groom metal really only shows huge advantage when you're going very fast but when it's rutted up, icy, a little wind blown, chalky, inconsistantly groomed, refrozen or crusty, metal is the best tool I've been on.
Aren't those all conditions under which you want a damp board in general?

Interesting description of titanal boards. I am sure there is an All Boards Sports' inspired titanal/zylon-inside machine somewhere on this planet.

So, do you get all these so-called characteristics in one package?

Do I get a board that can be aggressive, responsive, calm and damp depending on my input and the number of balls I have, as Virus is known to do?

Bola

www.allboardssports.com

1-303-415-1600

So, do you get all these so-called characteristics in one package?

Yes :D

Do I get a board that can be aggressive, responsive, calm and damp depending on my input and the number of balls I have, as Virus is known to do?

Yes :D

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/ursle/Vue/cyborg.jpg