Note to New Members ×

Aspen Locals: BOL members need you!

SEJ

I'm coming to SES, and I've never been to Aspen. For that matter, I've never been snowboarding without a vehicle. What can people coming from out of state expect as far as lodging, transportation, getting from the airport, etc. What would YOU do knowing the area. Please help us not be stupid! Really, any advice locals, or people that have been there, can give us will help in a great way.

It's going to be great to put faces to all the friends I've met here. Can't wait! I just hope that once you see me ride, you don't make me wear one of those orange jumpsuits I mentioned in another thread.

Scott

You can fly to eagle or Denver for cheaper, I'm sure landing to Aspen is very expensive. Then you take a shuttle from CME that will drive you to aspen. They are a little costly but you don't have to drive or anything and they have a shuttle right at the airport. That's what I did when I went to glenwood springs close to aspen. Worked out great. Then in Aspen they have a very godo shuttle service for free from mountain to mountain.

Transportation once in Aspen is not a problem as the PT is pretty good, with the exception of Snowmass at off hours. Lodging isn't really cheap anywhere but seems like many have stayed at the St. Mortiz, although it may be booked out already:

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/StMoritzLodge-Aspen-1379

Also check out www.VRBO.com sometimes good deals can be found.

It's been 10 years since I lived there but I didn't need a car AT ALL. The town is meant to shuttle people in ski/board gear all over - and it's free. Landing in Aspen airport is really nice, again free shuttles to anywhere in town. There are always lodging deals to be had. I'll try to remember the hotels I've stayed in.

Here's some options.

All you need is to get TO Aspen and then all transportation is easy and free to any mtn or event. :biggthump

You can fly into Aspen and get transportation (taxi) to any lodge in Aspen/Snowmass (pricey) :mad: or walk out to the hwy (200yds) and grab a free bus into town :lol: and ask driver for closest stop to your lodging destination (free). They'll drop you off at the closest stop and point you in a short walks distance.

Fly into Eagle/Vail get the ColoradoMountainExpress shuttle to Vail transportation center and then get another van to Aspen/Snowmass to your doorstep. Here is CME's we site for pricing structure.

www.ridecme.com

Fly into Denver and get CME at the door and they drive vans all the way into Aspen/Snowmass. Around 5 hours with stops :lurk: and all, pending weather. Last year cost around $75.00 but again look at the site for updated info. They drop you off at the door but expect to tip.

Fly into Grand Junction and hitchhike...maybe...transportation to here from there isn't readily available but you can shuttle around town to get to bus station and try to get a bus....not recommended since you can easily get stuck there. :nono:

those are your flying options and travel options if you go solo and want to get here quick as possible.

Other option is to hook up with someone by advertising here on BOL to share a ride if they have near your time schedule and they are getting a car.

Once here you do NOT need a car for anything so renting is kind of a super luxury. Buses run very very regularly except if you are a night party animal and need get to Snowmass from Aspen like 2 in the morning or something. Then it gets tough but there is always an abundance of taxis.

Lodging: There are a lot of beds pending your budget!! :eplus2::eplus2: Again try to find roommates here on BOL to share lodging or go to aspenchamber.org and start looking around. That's if you want to stay in the glitz :p :p . All lodging is near a bus stop and walks to downtown.

Other lodging options are throughout the valley :lol: :lol: and you still need NO car. Buses run up and down the valley all day and evening for about $7.00 each way as far as Glenwood. That's way cheaper than renting a car and the time frames work about the same. PLUS many SES'ers stay throughout the valley especially Glenwood, because of rates and the amenities for food options are better and mucho cheaper. Time wise it takes about 50 minutes on the bus from as far as Glenwood, each way, and they run express buses in mornings and evenings. It's really very simple. From any downvalley bus you can get off directly at Buttermilk or at the base of Aspen mtn. the other mtns will require a simple get off and grab another bus. Sounds more complicated than it is....it's really simple. You might even be able to commute with someone staying down valley anyway if you hook up.

All down valley towns (Basalt/El Jebel/Carbondale/Glenwood) are all accessible from the CME airport shuttle vans too.

Check out Glenwoods chamber site if your looking for cheaper rates but with many amenities, lots to do in Glenwood after a day on the hill and the food options are many and good. You'll probably save well over 1/2 the money you'll spend in Aspen. But if your looking for the ultimate experience then you can go as high as you want in Aspen.....how about a house for $15k a night ski in and out :lol: it's available :lol: .....Glenwood has much easier walk to amenities from lodging than the other towns.

I check here once in awhile so ask any other questions or PM me but maybe better here so others can benefit from your questions.

JoelP

We fly into DEN and usually rent a mini-van. Suggest shopping via Orbitz or Expedia then book direct with the rental company. Usually no charges are incurred if you cancel a reservation at least 24 hours in advance. Quoted rates can and do change. As of today, Advantage is the low cost company www.arac.com but the rates offered today may not be available tomorrow. If you see a good rate, and you know your dates, book what is best for you while you can. We booked a mini-van for Feb 2008 in May and the 8 day rate then was $590 w/tax versus $420 today for the same time period.

CME's qouted rate from DEN to Aspen for Feb 2008 is $115 pp one-way.

Wow. I was originally looking at flying to Aspen and staying there, but sticker shock set in... :freak3: By flying to Denver and staying in Glenwood I'll likely be able to stay for the whole SES instead of just 3 days!

I'll be spending a little bit extra for a rental car, that way my wife can tour around if she doesn't feel like skiing one day.

Carbondale might have some hotel options. The downtown area is kind of neat with some good eateries. It is between Snowmass and Glenwood. The food is much cheaper so if there are any hotels should be the same. Plus, they have one of the sickest skate parks in the US if it is not buried under snow.

Cabondale has a couple of hotels but it's about 3/4 mile walk to downtown and no local town shuttle.

If you do rent a car you can bring your whole quiver to the slope and then a lot more options open up if you stay downvalley. Here's a mini list of my favorite, must hit downvalley restaurants.

Breakfast:

Breakfast in America, in El Jebel

Village Smitty, in Carbondale

Rosies, in Glenwood

Dinner:

Smoke, Awesome barbecue ribs, smoked meats/fish, in Basalt/El Jebel

Narayan's, Indian/Nepalese, off hwy just outside of Glenwood

Phat Thai, Thai food, Carbondale

Zheng, Pan Asian (Thai), Glenwood, Glenwood Meadows shopping center

Cheng's Asian Bistro, Sushi, Glenwood

Tequila's, Mexican in Glenwood....caution...handmade strong Margi's

El Horizonte, Baslat & Glenwood, authentic Mexican/El Salvadorian, yummy

There's a lot more but those are my favorite places.

Lunch.....at the mountains of course!!!!!

JoelP

SEJ- Where are you staying? There is a regular shuttle from Vail to Aspen. It's pretty easy to find online. The bus system in Aspen/Snowmass is awesome, and the map can be found on RFTA's website.

So if the shuttle is $115 one way, and I can rent a full size car for $192 for the week ...? what should I do? :o

Don't rent a car. Parking, whether it's snowmass or ajax, is evil. Now, if you would rather have a car for other reasons, by all means get one, just realize that RFTA (the bus service) rocks hard core, and it's usually the best way to get around. It's free, it comes every 10 or 20 minutes, and you don't have to worry about unloading and loading everything from your car. Plus, no DUI possibility.

If you do rent a car, plan on parking it where you're staying and leaving it there.

Can you elabourate on the parking situation? Are you saying that parking is bad or even non-existant at the resorts?

Do you pay for parking at the resort? If you show up early (1 hour before opening time), is parking ok?

Are there lockers and/or a board-check service for 2nd (3rd, etc. ;)) boards?

Parking, it depends on where you are staying.

If you lodge in Snowmass you can get a parking pass that allows you to park in the village, otherwise there is paid parking, $10.00, or free parking in what's called the Rodeo lot with a free shuttle up to the village. snowmass village right now is a MAJOR construction site with a whole new base area being built so parking is kind of a cluster so use the free shuttle.

Downtown Aspen is all paid parking at meters. Aspen mtn proper doesn't have a parking lot.

Buttermilk has a large parking lot and is all free, all day. It also has shuttle buses running in and out to the other mtns all day for free, as do all of them.

Highlands has paid parking, $10.00 right at the base of the hill. It's also enclosed parking with a nice escalator up to the lift.

so there is parking at each mtn and it's all very simple but has little quirks. Paid here, not there, etc etc...but it's not very difficult. Overall though the shuttles are the most efficient. there are limited lockers at each mtn for small things and there is spots to check in equipment. Most SES'rs bring extra boards an lock them up around the very busy and social BOL tent. The tent is the happening place, safe and secure. I usually bring 2 or 3 boards and lock them up at the base and never have had any issues. If you have a car then if you are at either Buttermilk or Highlands and parked there you can run back to the car at any time and be back at the lift within a couple minutes. Parking is very close by.

the really only biggest hassle for parking is Snowmass and the Session is usually only there for 1 day during SES. The majority of the time is spent around Buttermilk and Highlands and if you park there your either in the center of things or within a 5+ minute free shuttle ride to the other mtns. So don't really worry much about parking or the shuttles. Once you are here you'll find it's all very very easy to get around.

JoelP

We use the Eagle airport the most. Lots of direct flights around the country without having to go thru DIA. CME will get you out of there.

Also remember you guys, if you have 4 people in the vehicle, parking at Highlands is free.

(who said nothing was cheap in aspen).

Give us an idea for where you might try to stay, and we can give you a better idea about transportation.

The following airlines service the Eagle County Airport. (EGE)

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width="80%" summary="The following airlines service the Eagle County Airport."><TBODY><TR borderColor=#eeeee3 bgColor=#ffffff><TH>Airline</TH><TH>Contact Numbers</TH><TH>Service</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>American Airlines

</TD><TD align=left>Main 800-433-7300

Spanish 800-633-3711

Local 970-524-8213</TD><TD vAlign=top>Nov-April

June-Sept</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#eeeee3><TD vAlign=top>Continental Airlines

</TD><TD align=left>Main 800-523-3273

Local 970-524-3056</TD><TD vAlign=top>Dec-April</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Delta Air Lines

</TD><TD align=left>Main 800-221-1212

Spanish 800-511-9629

Baggage 800-325-8224</TD><TD vAlign=top>Dec-April

</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#eeeee3><TD vAlign=top>Northwest Airlines

</TD><TD align=left>Main 800-225-2525

Spanish 800-345-7411

Local 970-524-7631</TD><TD vAlign=top>Dec-April</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>United / United Express

</TD><TD align=left>Main 800-864-8331

Spanish 800-426-5561

</TD><TD vAlign=top>Year-round

</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#eeeee3><TD vAlign=top>US Airways

</TD><TD vAlign=top>Main 800-943-5436

Baggage 800-371-4771

Spanish 800-842-5374</TD><TD vAlign=top>Dec.-April</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></ECM_CONTENT>