Note to New Members ×

Looking for a new mtn next year in VT

cail

I'm looking for a new home next year, some place in VT which is rather close (within an hour and a half) of albany, ny.

Anyone have opinions on Mt. Snow, Stratton, Magic Mtn, or Bromley?

I'm thinking one of the first two.

I'm looking for a new home next year, some place in VT which is rather close (within an hour and a half) of albany, ny.

Anyone have opinions on Mt. Snow, Stratton, Magic Mtn, or Bromley?

I'm thinking one of the first two.

strictly from a carving perspective (steeps and quality of grooming), I'd place those in the following order:

Stratton (Great grooming, relatively steep)

Bromley (good grooming, relatiely steep)

Mt. Slow (great grooming, Flatter than a pancake)

Magic (good steeps, not much grooming from what i recall)

Magic is useless. I have a condo at the base. No snowmaking, little grooming, the steeps, when there is snow turn into mogul fields. The blues are short and boring. After a good two foot dump the place is awesome, other then that, forget about it.

Bromely is nice but there's not much to it and the steeper runs are short.

Of your choices, for carving Stratton is your best bet - they keep the rich happy by blowing snow and grooming the crap out of it. Also - that's the only mountain with any kind of carving presence. I haven’t been to Mt Snow since I switched to alpine but as I remember it – sub par snowmaking, grooming, lifts, and masses of humanity.

Okemo has become my mountain of choice this past year. On par with Stratton in snow quality, the crowd has a bit less of that entitled attitude Stratton is famous for, and the runs have more variety IMO.

Every mountain sucks on weekends (when I do 90% of my riding).

ohh, right... :smashfrea

of the (mid) VT resorts ive been to, I liked Okemo the best. They didn't really have any terrain that was too intense for me, which means that it might not be challenging enough for you, but i still liked their top to bottom blues and blacks. Nice, wide carvers if you ask me.

Beware,

I went to Okemo for the first time this past season. I thought it was incredibly flat. Any steep pitch they have is short and there seemed to be a family type crowd with alot of little kids. Not that this is a bad thing but not the type of thing I would want when railing carves.

I think that Stratton is the your best bet. Although there are alot of people riding and skiing there, it has some sustained steeps that are pretty well groomed.

Good luck

I second the flatness of okemo but I still enjoyed it. Any steep part lasts about 150 ft max. Def a good beginner/intermediate carving mtn. As for freestyle riders...that place has HUGE jumps. Maybe one person a day goes off of those sometimes.

Beware,

I went to Okemo for the first time this past season. I thought it was incredibly flat. Any steep pitch they have is short and there seemed to be a family type crowd with alot of little kids. Not that this is a bad thing but not the type of thing I would want when railing carves.

I think that Stratton is the your best bet. Although there are alot of people riding and skiing there, it has some sustained steeps that are pretty well groomed.

Good luck

I think stratton is flat as well, I grew up riding there and when I go back I realize it's a pancake

All VT mountains are pancakes. . . heading out west is the only way to go. . .

But since the topic is VT, I am a stratton person personally with okemo in a close second and K mart third. Stowe is great, but just too far away.

I have had GREAT days at both stratton and Okemo and think you can have epic days and crappy days at both of them. Can't really go wrong with either.

~tb

You won't find a better run mountain with authentic people behind it. They have the best grooming in the east and they focus on snowboarders. Despite being a little flat the trails are littered with fun terrain. The mountain is always expanding. Okemo hosts racing events and they offer a program for young hardbooters. Plus the owners daughter is on the US Team.

Guest kriss

in the discussion of the vt. mountains near albany, the discussion overlooked the great discounts on season passes stratton and okemo offer and a big variety of passes too ranging from daily and weekend discounts,to sunday only,to midweek only,to 7 day combined,etc etc....the value for the mountains can't be beat. the stratton image of 'for rich folks' is way exaggerated.

• 2 weeks later...

It's conversations like this that remind me how lucky I am to be where I am. A whole discussion on the best areas in VT and Sugarbush not even metioned once - ha! No wonder the crowds aren't very big, even on weekends. It's nowhere near flat and the backcountry (for the east) is sick.

I race down south a lot but those mountains are all either crowd scenes or flat - Okemo especially. Plus EVERY time I go to Okemo I get some patroller telling me to "slow down", or "SKI in control" when some Joey comes flying out of a side trail, takes off down the hill without looking, or sits just below a knoll and almost gets killed...no thanks. At K-mart it's even worse but at least the patrollers only go after you for REAL infractions. I can't remember the last time a patroller at sugarbush ever said much to me, unless it was something like "weren't the trees sweet today". But thatz OK - y'all just stay down there SOVT. I gotta say though - to go to Killington instead of the 'bush because it is "closer" is absurd...Sugarbush is 45 minutes further and SO much nicer. C'mon up!!

his reasoning is why I prefer sunday river to the 'loaf

the 'bush is good too but a hike for most, one of the sicker pow sessions I've had was there (yes, even compared to CO, UT, WY and CA!)

for the everyday user it's experience is certainly a skiers mountain not a family type place as in there is some somewhat challenging terrain compared to most of the other resorts in VT. it's good to carve and really good on a pow day, okemo, stratton and snow are worthless on a pow day because there is no terrain there.

in the discussion of the vt. mountains near albany, the discussion overlooked the great discounts on season passes stratton and okemo offer and a big variety of passes too ranging from daily and weekend discounts,to sunday only,to midweek only,to 7 day combined,etc etc....the value for the mountains can't be beat. the stratton image of 'for rich folks' is way exaggerated.

Given that you have made 2 posts in the last year and they are both talking about how cheap the okemo/stratton passes are, I really would like to know if you work for one of the areas. As Pat disclosed the fact that he works for Okemo, I think you owe us the same honesty.

If not, you've made the point and can stop now. :flamethro