Note to New Members ×

body armor and full face helmets

abakker

i am on the couch today, after a rather unpleasant crash yesterday while downhill biking yesterday. this recovery and the fact that although nothing serious is wrong, my whole body is a bruise, has left me dead set on buying a set of body armor and a full face helmet. this said i plan on using it for both snowboarding, and biking.

right now, i am looking very seriously at sixsixone gear, and was wondering a) if anybody else wears body armor while snowboarding/biking

b) if you have any preferences for gear.

let me know, thanks

Yep, it sure does. I bought a RED Longshot at the end of last season, and came a huge butt and back slam a couple of weeks later. My butt was killing me, but the back was fine. It works great and it was pretty cheap (about $80 CAD). I wouldn't ride without it now.

having a little giggle thinking about you guys getting ready to ride in the morning. probably takes longer than most girls do to "get ready!"

but hey...protection is a good thing! I can't imagine everyday riding with "armor" but to each his own. Takes me long enough to get suited up as is!

I like it because it keeps my core warm. I can actually wear less clothes than usual on the mountain.

the spine protector keeps my back warm and its the difference between laying there gasping for air and getting up and running down the *&%$$% that just knocked me flat:eplus2:

:D wider shoulders balance out the beer belly well to fellas:biggthump that and the elastic kidney belt to suck it in:lol:

really they go on just like a shirt. one zipper and you are good to go

Body armor and full face helmets definately help your chances of walking away, but I've gotten concussions while wearing helmets and brusies while wearing body armor. Psychologically, I feel more indestructible with the added protection, so I am more inclined to go for it, which is a key factor in winning BX or mastering anything new.

But I'd trade in all my body armor for health insurance!

having a little giggle thinking about you guys getting ready to ride in the morning. probably takes longer than most girls do to "get ready!"

but hey...protection is a good thing! I can't imagine everyday riding with "armor" but to each his own. Takes me long enough to get suited up as is!

That's kinda what I'm thinking.

I'd say half of walking away is knowing how to fall, but theres just those couple of times that you don't have any time to react.. It's just *BANG* flat on your back gasping for air.

I've snowboarded for 8 or so years without a helmet. Then one weekend I got one since I was goin into carving and thought it'd be an alright idea. The weekend after that I used the hell out of it. The weekend after that my brother and his girlfriend got helmets.

edit

I was also gonna say that I don't think that I'm worth 80 bucks.

Since skiers don't understand our movements, and that's is going on for a while now, and some people doesn't take care about speedlimits at (over-) crowded pists, I am wearin' full body protection:knees, butt, full body armor (back and front) all from Dainese which I also use for biking and a helmet from Sweet.

Protection helped me a couple of times after a few skiers run into my back with high speeds. I think the brand doesn't matter, as long as it fits well, and does its job.

Some friends skiers and snowboarders laughed at me when they saw me what I was wearing till they had accidents themselves and hurt themselves. I just heard them complaining about the pain they had. I didn't say a word but was just thinking about my own safety.

Just my two cents.

Hans.

I use a Dainese multisport jacket and ride with it almost always for both inbounds and back country...my safety is worth a few extra minutes to get ready, but everyone has the same approach to armor as helmets...if you like it wear it...choice is yours...I will be in mine and we will all be smiling because we are ripping up the mountain.

Very funny, AK Boarder. You know as well as I that there are no logical explanations of why we keep going back and doing **** like BX races (the only time I wear armor). I promised my mother that I would retire from BX when I won the national gold, and I've gotten so many silvers ..... Mom is trying to bribe my toughest competition, a chick from Reno that is 6 feet tall and weighs 185 without her BX armor or board on, to let me win one year. (I'm 5'5" and weigh about 130 ... some of the weight of "Helga from Eastern Block Country" is her triple D boobs!) But at high speeds, weight equals force, and I wouldn't consider racing without protection, and we're not talking condoms here!

There is a logical explanation......you obviously love the sport like most on this forum. You sound like you love the challenge as well. It is good to hear that when you are racing you are taking the extra precautions like wearing your protection. It may weigh you down alittle, but at least your are somewhat protected from injury, if and when you fall. I was just lookin at the 661 website and I am now lookin at getting a knee brace since I should've probably already been wearing one. I haved torn my minicus(sp) multiple times and its only going to get worse if I continue to snowboard.

Mom is trying to bribe my toughest competition, a chick from Reno that is 6 feet tall and weighs 185 without her BX armor or board on ... some of the weight of "Helga from Eastern Block Country" is her triple D boobs!)

will you give her my number please?

D-Sub,

Do you want Helga's number or my mom's?

Helga may be more woman than you can handle. She's a born-again Christian that doesn't swear or drink (she's makes a great DD). She won the women's 40-49 all-around national title this year, and it's not the first time. She possesses many veenning techniques.

:D