Note to New Members ×

Don't carve in powder mode!!!

zoltan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zoltan - sorry to hear about and see the effects of that accident.

I sometimes ride in powder mode on my back foot only. Not for safety but only for a little comfort and more relaxed feeling. I wonder if the front foot/ankle/leg is more vulnerable? In any event, I think I will heed your warning and not ride in powder mode again.

Wow! You weren't kidding about the pics being gross. Those are some of the ugliest toes I've ever seen! :biggthump Just kidding. I just had my 4 week followup xray and my fib fracture is not healing very fast. Most likely my fault for walking around on it too soon. Probably set it back a couple weeks when I post-holed through some crusty snow.

It's probably the Percoset talking, but here's a picture my friend took in the ER:

brokenlegsmall.jpg

Yep, that could slow a guy down a tad:rolleyes: . I broke both bones in my left arm riding my dirt bike down a cliff and losing the brakes.(12 or 13yrs old) Walked home and kicked on the front door. "Hey Mom, get the keys, we are going to the hospital!!" I said very matter-of-factly. She came to the door and said "Why" :( . I let go of my arm and it did THAT. She almost fainted :barf: . Looks odd to have an extra bend in one of your appendages? Heal fast, thanks for the photos. My new desktop photo!!:biggthump

Zoltan - sorry to hear about and see the effects of that accident.

I sometimes ride in powder mode on my back foot only. Not for safety but only for a little comfort and more relaxed feeling. I wonder if the front foot/ankle/leg is more vulnerable? In any event, I think I will heed your warning and not ride in powder mode again.

The rear is the one I blew out in a carve. In Zoltans case, he impacted hard, I'd guess either would be vulnrable in that case. This thread will be great for Bomber's BTS sales next year. :D Fin, start cranking them out! :biggthump

that looks insanely sick. it's starting to make my left leg hurt again. heh

as bad as that is though...

Oldvolvosrule told me that the guy that's suing bomber posted pics of what happened to him on tahoecarvers. I can only imagine that that looks much worse. And after seeing this, I know I don't want to see THAT. (those pictures aren't up anymore, got taken down pretty fast apparently).

Koszonom!

I hope to get some pictures up of the boot soon.

What was funny is after I came to a stop, I did a quick self diagnosis and turned to the kid who had seen everything and had if I was alright and told him "I need you to run down to the bottom and tell ski patrol that they need to send some one immediately because I just broke my leg". My friend overheard the kid telling ski patrol and asked him if I had actually been that specific and clear. When the kid said "yes" she knew it could only have been me who got hurt and started hiking back up the hill to find me.

Wow Zoltan best of luck with a speedy recovery. Seeing those pictures and x-ray really made me think even more how fortunate I was to walk away from a recent crash. I've been telling everyone I would rather have a broken board than a broken leg. And I have been riding with my Head boots in walk mode for 2.5 years. I think it's time for a change.

Zoltan, first off I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Question for you - if your boots were locked, do you think that you would have had a break higher up on your leg? Or do you think the locked boot would have absorbed some of the impact and "blown up", saving your leg? I've read more than a few comments this year about the evils of walk and powder mode. I'm trying to form a better opinion for myself.

Sorry to hear about your accident once again. I wish you all the best.

A few years ago (1998) I broke my left (leading leg) fibula and cracked the tibia 5 cm above the ankle. I was wearing ski boots that had zero fore/aft flex. I stuffed the nose of the board into some soft spring slush/snow and cartwheeled over the front. I know exactly when the leg broke... upon impact with the ground after the 2nd cartwheel.

Hope you heal quickly and well as I did.

Question for you - if your boots were locked, do you think that you would have had a break higher up on your leg? Or do you think the locked boot would have absorbed some of the impact and "blown up", saving your leg?

Funny you should ask since I was just emailing with someone about that question. Yes, if the boot were locked my leg might have still broken, but I think it would have taken more force to do so since the further you get away from the board the more flex the whole system has (boots and bones) and harder to break. If the lean adjuster hadn't given out, I think the boots would have flexed super hard, but would have distributed the force over a larger area and over more time, thus reducing the possability of a break. As it is, the adjuster breaking concentrated the force (since the boot has a pivot) on a very vulnerable part of my leg.

Wow, after my last injury I feel pretty lucky after reading through this. Hope you feel better and I'm glad you're taking it so well. I was lucky enough that I was moving pretty slow when my nose dug into slush and the board threw me for quite a ride. I only landed on my back and bruised the sacroilliac/spine joint and a few nerves. It's healing well although I still have a little numb spot on my back from the fall.

I'm curious about how different boots might have reacted differently. I'm just starting to get used to UPZ's and never run with them locked into ride mode since they're so stiff. After reading this I might lock them down from now on. Anyone know if the UPZ walk mode is stiff enough to prevent this?

Zolton - a speedy recovery to you!

Spring conditions / soft snow, one can auger a nose in before you know what happened. A word of caution to all, regardless of the type of heel system you have.

Myself, I have been busting the slush on a 179 Prior 4WD and have dialed the angles down to 55/52 and not riding as aggressive or as far forward as I would do with higher angles.

Damn, those pictures make me wince. :eek: I wish you a quick recovery!

Here's the thought process going through my head:

1. If a boot is in walk/powder mode, it's easier to move the cuff.

2. If it's easier to move the cuff, there will be less force on the leg for a given amount of movement.

3. If there's less force on the leg, it's less likely to break.

A similar thought experiment shows that riding in locked mode will cause more load on your lower leg and less likelihood of an ankle sprain.

I could understand how riding in walk/powder mode would make you more prone to spraining ankles, but it goes against reason that it would cause more stress to your tib/fib.

that actually makes perfect sense, and seems to reflect what i was thinking anyway. plus, as far as i can tell, a set of track 225s in lock mode is about as stiff as a set of stratos pro in walk.

i would guess that the bts would help by taking more of the force and distributing it but not blowing up.

In a fall like this the best way to not get hurt is to have a releasable binding like on skis. this is not a good idea in actuallity, and we all know that releasing while mid turn would cause its own set of problems, but in a situation where you really stuff the nose and start flipping, it seems that the best thing would be to not be attached to the board.

Damn, those pictures make me wince. :eek: I wish you a quick recovery!

Here's the thought process going through my head:

1. If a boot is in walk/powder mode, it's easier to move the cuff.

2. If it's easier to move the cuff, there will be less force on the leg for a given amount of movement.

3. If there's less force on the leg, it's less likely to break.

A similar thought experiment shows that riding in locked mode will cause more load on your lower leg and less likelihood of an ankle sprain.

I could understand how riding in walk/powder mode would make you more prone to spraining ankles, but it goes against reason that it would cause more stress to your tib/fib.

The problem is that in powder or walk mode the adjuster is very susceptable to breaking, which is exactly what what happened in my case. The adjuster went all the way closed, then blew out the stop, came apart, and let the boot continue to close with little resistence. Had it been locked or had a BTS on it, the boot would have held it's shape better and would have flexed deeply upon impact, spreading out its force and duration.

ARCrider, yes, I may still have broken my leg, but I firmly believe that had the boots been locked or had a BTS, the force required would have been significantly higher. As it is, the boots provided no protection or absorbtion after the adjuster blew out, and in fact concentrated the force on my leg.

What liners were you using? Race Tongue or normal tongue?

I can't really imagine this happening with a thermoflex and a rather stiff boot (like Indy or 325), However I noticed that my lean mechanisms have become a bit loose due to riding in powder mode (never use walk mode).

There are even some people who took off the mechanism completely for extremecarving.

It's probably the Percoset talking, but here's a picture my friend took in the ER:

brokenlegsmall.jpg

I quoted it so people have to look at it again when scrolling down

Ha Ha me toooooooooo:barf: !!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoltan... you get my vote for best breakage of this season!!!!

Damn that's gotta hurt!! good thing it didn't break through the skin during the tumble...

Keep your spirits up Champ... you'll be up and around in no time...

Wishing you a speedy and pain free recovery!!

Steve