Note to New Members ×

Bucking the trend or setting it

Bobby Buggs

Its been a recent theme among the Carve Father crew to get on Wider boards and still carve. The Carve Father himself is on a 22.5 and Never uses his Prior WC. Another defector went even wider with Jorges Board the 2. Well I have succumbed to this trend and picked up a Nidecker Proto 167, 22.5 and will be testing it out on Friday at Mt Snow.

This will be the widest board I have tried to carve on since 2001.

I know, I cant believe it, a day on the hill without my beloved Coiler AM. I bet I dont sleep a wink Thursday night :freak3:

Have any of you seen or bought into this wider trend?

Guest mkgillman

I picked up a Prior 4WD at the beginning of the season more to use as a powder/crud board, but it is the only board that I've taken out this year. It holds a great edge in the hardpack and honestly, the wider platform is really nice when the snow gets sketchy or I come out of a turn a little off balance.

Then again, this isn't just limited to carving boards, look at the width of the skis that are being sold now; everything is getting wider.

the next thing you know people will be riding Asyms :smashfrea Ok seriously I understand why people are going wider, it's certainly easier on my knees to run shallower angles, the wider the board the shallower you can go...I'm waiting for my wife to be employed before I buy my next board but I have all but decided that it will be a AM169 with the 23cm waist. Nothing else fits my wants and needs as well.

I got an Alp this season to try as an all-mountain board and I did not like the width. I only rode it when conditions were soft and I didn't feel confortable at lower angles (50/45 I think?). I only feel confortable at higher angles (63/60 on 18.5 cm). Granted I have not tried a Coiler AM/Donek Axxess/Prior 4WD, but I think it's the width that bugs me, not the flex/feel of the board. Maybe a Coiler AMX with the 19 cm waist would be nice?

Hey George, don't order the wrong board ;) - Dave had the ATV, 23.5 waist, stiffened version. It does ride great, even for medium weight guy like me. Knowing how you ride, you could use the stiffened version too, even if you go down to 167...

Your pal,

Boris

I started on 21 waist and went down to 18 and 19.5. Very narrow I've never particularly liked. 19.5 felt great.

Then, this year I rode whole lot of wider boards, 4WD, Tanker, 4807, 3800, Hornet... What can I say, more effort is required to carve them, but they are way more versatile. My legs seem to be happiest between 50 and 60 degrees, so I ride wider boards with a bit of underhang. My heel side falls appart under 45 deg. At 55 deg I have less quad burn and knees/hips feel happier too.

THEN, I tried the WCR (19.5 waist) last weekend, oh boy! So efortless to get it on the edge. So I guess I'm middle of the road man when it comes to carving.

I'm still going to try Skwal, though ;)

Well caught Boris!

Dave *'s was indeed an ATV- I want a 4WD, a little slim, but with enough curves to get the job done.... 169 will be the length.

I'm rocking the Oxy 164 Proton so much this winter that it's affecting my choices- I keep thinking to myself, "If I could get a board this stiff but 5 cms longer, with a powder spoon nose and a curved square back tail, then it would be perfect for the Coast".

I'm gonna try and demo one from Chris at Easter, then put my order in.

As you probably already know, I bought into it a while back :) Hope it works out well for you too.

So is Ronnie riding with lower angles now too? No more sleepless nights thinking of riding with a 30-deg back foot next morning?

tom.

I think once some people realize the fact that hard carving can be done on fat freeride boards with soft bindings, alot of guys will be riding them. Nothing carves as nice as a race/carving deck with hard bindings but carving can definately be achieved on soft wide boards.

Most narrow boards are only built for one thing, that being to go straight and fast on groom. If you want something that goes off the corduroy path then a wider AM board with a bit of turn in the nose is always going to be way better. But you still can't beat the feeling of being on a skinny board at mach schnell on a perfectly groomed run, where the edge to edge is instant and effortless ...

19 is a good width for me, but I have to admit the more I ride the Axxess at 21.5, the more I like it.

As you probably already know, I bought into it a while back :) Hope it works out well for you too.

So is Ronnie riding with lower angles now too? No more sleepless nights thinking of riding with a 30-deg back foot next morning?

tom.

Yeah Tom, I think he took every sleeping pill he had that night :eek: He is at 50 35. I dont think I will go that low on the back foot but its so easy to adjust the F2 I will find what fits me quickly.

Has anybody here considered that you might not need wider boards, but smaller feet?

well last I checked there isn't a healthy way to accomplish the smaller feet thing....my feet ain't big but M28 only fits across a 18.8 waist at 51/48 which isn't bad now but my abused knees would like the rear at 45*

I have to admit I am liking this trend of slightly wider freecarve/AM boards, its nice that you can go to Prior/Coiler etc and order up a stock shape in desired waist width with out the hassle and time delay of a full on one off,

I have a boat load of snowboards actually an obscene number and I think realistically I could get away with just one for all conditions, my stiffened ATV, followed a close second by my 79 4X4 (not quite as all mtn versatile, and soon to be a second one added to the family hehehehheh), I have spent almost 60 % of my riding time in the past two seasons on one of these two decks.

I find angles over about 60 degrees on the front and my riding goes to pot, On my fatties I can back it off to about 38-40 front foot before things go pear shaped ( at those angles on a 25.5 deck I still have underhang)

My next project I am thinking of a widened 179 4x4 to 23.5 or a lengthened ATV to 179 ish ?nose shape decision?, progressivly stiffened to my weight with a ****pile of carbon fiber for some nice lively pop off the tail, inserts wide enough for my tastes, and maybe see if Chris would make it a "skunk werx" no label with a magnetrac edge, not sure if titanal would do anything on this type of deck hmmmmmm getting off topic.

Crucible (george) dont rule out the wider ATV especially one to your body weight/aggression level with the amount of off piste you do, the ATV has a much better nose for off piste than the 4x4, and that extra 2 cms of width and slacker angles makes for a much superior powder/arboreal weapon.

Dave*