Note to New Members ×

Rad-Air Tanker 192cm 242cm waist?

Fanman

if you have a size ten or bigger foot grab the 187 if you're riding in softies

I'd imagine that the 187 and 192 are pretty similar other than the width, the 187 is a killer pow gun that likes moderate speed when on hard pack and is very willing to be ridden like you'd ride a GS stick

I picked one up from Hardbooter last summer and have 3 days on it this season. All on plates. It's been an absolute champ in the crud, as good as my OSin 4807 in a foot for so of resort freshies, and quite passable in the trees. I picked the 192 because it is the narrowest size and I wanted to use it with plates, size 25 boots.

Any one riding one of these? Powder or Free Carve?

Thanks, for the feedback in advance, Brett

Hi Brett, surprised you haven't run into some of the Bachelor crew on them?

Greg, Shane, Mike T, myself and a few others all ride them at Bachelor. Great "Tweener" board. After 8" or so I would much rather be on the 200cm

Get one from www.exoticboards.com soon. Almost all gone.

Need a 200cm? Might talk to me at OES. I may have a board or two left for sale.

Bryan

Thanks for the Info. I did learn about these boards from Greg @ Mt. Bachelor, but he's about 5 inches and a few lbs. heavier than I, so I was looking for a few other opinions. Not to not agree with the fact that he loved his 180 some-thing + I think he has a few other longer one's? any ways I plan on riding with you guys on the 1st and last day of the OES sesh later this week at Bachelor and then I can get some more imput!

Thanks, Brett

Hi Brett, cool. Yes, that would be the Tanker "Heli-Cat" 187cm. That is his favorite Tree-Pow board. Look forward to meeting you.

To answer your original question. Yes, I ride the 192cm with plates and love it as great "In-Between" board. For days when there is perhaps 3-8" and some good soft groomers too. It is as narrow as the 172cm and works well with plates. If I could order it an inche narrower and a bit stiffer it would be ideal. However, no complaints, I love the board. Lighter riders could use it as their "Big Pow" board for sure. When riding/ carving it on groomers, one just needs to picture that they are on a short alpine board due to the SCR. Bryan

I'd imagine that the 187 and 192 are pretty similar other than the width...

I recently did a crude calculation on surface areas, from memory the numbers were approximately:

182 - 5400 cm^2

187 - 6000 cm^2

192 - 5700 cm^2

200 - 6000 cm^2

• 3 months later...

Brett,

I have owned and ridden every Tanker 200 made and as Bryan says the crown was pretty rare...the 02-03 was only done in a limited production run of 33 200's and 33 172's and retailed for around $1400.00 US. The 03-04 model tankers were all crowns and incorporated a lot of the design that went into the 02-03, but wihtout the all the high tech materials from the 02-03 and a much cheaper cost. As for the weight and flex changes between the 03-04 and 05-06, the shape was changed slightly and the red 05-06 model has a slightly different sidecut and flex pattern...going by weight alone, the red 05-06 is almost the same weight (if not a little lighter) than the ltd 02-03 crown...the biggest difference in my opinion is the feel of the ride...the 03-04 is a very snappy and fun board to ride, but has a slightly damp feeling when compared to the 05-06 which feels more lively. Not sure if my explanation helps, but the only other way I can explain it is that the 05-06 allowed me to feel more response from terrain than the 03-04. Both are amazing to ride and both were made at the Voelkl factory in Germany. Hope that helps.

I would say the 192 is my favorite resort powder / freeride board and tend to ride mine everywhere as a all mountain. I have a couple of 200's now and also the 187 wide but mostly have only ridden them cat boarding in canada or super big pow days at MtHood . Bryans crowns are super and he let me do a few runs on one this year. Super light compared to the regular 02-03s. I liked so much I ended up buying a 06 from him at the end of this year but havent ridden it yet. You will not regret a Crown . Pic of my 192 up above tline a couple of weeks ago.

Jim

post-219-141842233337_thumb.jpg

I would say the 192 is my favorite resort powder / freeride board and tend to ride mine everywhere as a all mountain. I have a couple of 200's now and also the 187 wide but mostly have only ridden them cat boarding in canada or super big pow days at MtHood . Bryans crowns are super and he let me do a few runs on one this year. Super light compared to the regular 02-03s. I liked so much I ended up buying a 06 from him at the end of this year but havent ridden it yet. You will not regret a Crown . Pic of my 192 up above tline a couple of weeks ago.

Jim

Nice shot Jim!! I can almost feel the turns down toward Big Zig Zag!

Your new 200cm is the 06/07 model . You are going to love it on the big pow days this coming season for sure!!

post-198-141842233339_thumb.jpg

I love my black 192 Crown too! It really can go anywhere. Carves like a champ, floats great too. The only board that beats it in the pow (for me) is the 4807.

Jim , you ride with similar underhang as I do...

Boris

B, I would like to see a photo of your 192cm Crown to ID the exact model and year? Thanks,

Tanker Line Up photo provided by SVR.

Most complete Rad-Air Gallery is at OSB (Thanks to SVR)

post-198-14184223334_thumb.jpg

Brett.

The Original "Crown" is pretty rare.

I do have one for sale used. They are not cheap.

Photos of some Tankers. Most have sold.

One Tanker "Crown" black 200cm is available

One Tanker Red 200cm is available. Although I do have a local circling for the kill.:nono:

All the others are sold or spoken for.

Red Tanker is SOLD! Thanks Brett.

It's just like the 4th one from the right on SVR's photo...

Cool, I would like to try a newer version of the 192cm. Thanks!

I have got an Elan "Mountainier" that has similar specs. Need to get it out and take it for another ride (with plates) I don't think it had quite as much sidecut if I recall. Fake wood top sheet. Well made, but I don't know if it will stack up against a Rad-Air (although, they may have some of the boards in the same factory at one time, just a thought)

You are welcome to try mine if you ever ride around Vancouver...

As for Elan and Rad-Air, well, you never know... Rad-Airs were made by Volkl at some stage, right? On the other hand, Elan makes, or used to make, some of Volkl's stuff. At the end of the day, they are the biggest snowboard manufacturer in the world. I grew up skiing on Elans - great skis.

Brett, your 200cm 05 went out Priority Mail yesterday.

RJ, the 192cm arrived in perfect condition THANKS!!

FYI, the 192cm has not been in production for a couple years now and few NOS boards still exist. If you are contemplating owning one you might want to get on it before the snow flys. There simply isn't much in that league to compare to. Hopefully Rad-Air will add it back to the line up in a future season. Frankly, we are pretty lucky they are still producing these awesome longboards. Pretty small market overall. Try one on a big pow day and understand why they RULE!!

PS, If someone has a newer 192cm Tanker (newer than 2003 model) I would be interested. Please contact me directly through PM here at BOL.

18" overnight and your "Longboard" is a 158cm. That would hurt.

Hey Jim, just tried to call you.

I think that is the board I just sold a couple months ago?

If it is the same board, I would say it would work great, a bit stiffer than the Tanker perhaps, I would have the builder add some nose height.

I have considered doing on split on my current 192cm. Been through a few spits this past year and even when I am riding the 182 Voile, I am wishing it was longer or more like the Tanker. If I was going to the trouble of ordering a custom split, it would basically be a slightly narrower, slightly stiffer Tanker 200cm. My theory is I would want my split to behave like my favorite pow board. The newer VOILE "Mountain Gun" was stiffer and really well made. Just too short for my ideal pow board. Bryan

Over on splitboard.com there has been a few people who have talked about splitting Tankers. I think one did a 200 and wasn't happy with it afterwards, another from europe was doing a 187 wide, never did hear back from him. I split a light core board two seasons ago, a 178 Oxygen. I had to insert the board for the pucks, after ripping the front set out of the board in a minor fall. The wood in much of the board is very easy to crush with added inserts not in the stringer areas, where I think the factory has the original insert pack. Anyway, I like the idea of a board patterned after the 192 Tanker, with factory installed inserts in the appropriate wood for the job.

Bingo! Thanks Jon, I was trying to put it all together yesterday and you just did. After talking with Jim "Very Briefly" I had wished I had mentioned Split-Board.com's forum. Good info there. Jim may already know about it , but just in case, I am sure glad you mentioned it. Your comments about the inserts is key. Thanks again.