Note to New Members ×

Arosa, Flims Laax, Obergurgl Hochgurgl?

Shred Gruumer

I'll try this again,,, I know they are in Europe but maybe someone knows something about these resorts..

Arosa Switzerland, Flims Laax Switzerland, Obergurgl Hochgurgl Austria..

If not.. hey it might be a good place to go since know body knows about them..

Really thinking of Europe next year end of January..need to start saving!!

If I don't go now,,I may never make it out there...

Anyone? Buehler? :confused:

I'll try this again,,, I know they are in Europe but maybe someone knows something about these resorts..

Arosa Switzerland, Flims Laax Switzerland, Obergurgl Hochgurgl Austria..

If not.. hey it might be a good place to go since know body knows about them..

Really thinking of Europe next year end of January..need to start saving!!

If I don't go now,,I may never make it out there...

Anyone? Buehler? :confused:

I'm from Europe and have been to most larger resorts and some smaller too.

Have been in Obergurgl. Same area as Hochgurgl. Next to Soelden, but very much upmarket resort. Very much overpriced, especially when you consider it's just a medium-sized area.

Same goes to Arosa: very expensive for such a small area. Slope-wise nothing special.

Laax-Flims-Falera is good sized, but is also entirely south-facing. After a good dump it can be good. But snow quality deteriorates quickly.

Generally speaking, investment in infrastructure (lifts, snow cannons) in Switzerland is way behind Austria and France.

There are exceptions however: Zermatt. Zermatt is one of the pearls of Europe. Very expensive (both accomodation and lift tickets) but worth every single penny, especially compared to resorts like Orbergurgl.

Then there's France of course. Although 3 Valleys (Val Thorens etc) is better known, I like Tignes better. Quality of the slopes, fast uplift (2 subways); slopes in all directions. It's not without cause that you see way more fanatical skiers and snowboarders here.

Zermatt,, and the rest is very doable for me... Its not more expensive than me going anywhere by myself in the US... so its all about Groom... NO lift lines and just nice atmospere..thats why Im looking at Arosa... I have family in Switzerland so if something happened I would be ok..

But ok then in Austria I had Solden, Ishgl-Galtur anything on those?

What do you recommend..

NO FRANCE..

thanks,,

Shred

In Switzerland the Valais is a great region. Zinal is IMO one of the best resorts for hardbooting - but its small. In Austrian and Switzerland in general the best slopes are to be found in very small resorts. I neither liked Laax nor Davos in Switzerland. St. Moritz is great but very expensive.

For Austria - there are great small resorts with good and steept slopes and practically noone during the week, but I wouldn't go there for a whole week.

Do you want to go freeriding as well?

In Austria if you wanna go racing and freeriding I would recommend St. Anton - if you don't live in Anton itself its rather cheap. (Nasserein would be good for cheap accomodation and 15minutes to town center by foot and gondola takes you up every morning without waitin). Great Scenery. Zürs and the Rendl are great bets for hardbooting. Very good snowconditions from mid January without exception, even this year. Receives snow from south and north. Lech is nice as well and doesn't sell day passes if crowded.

Obergurgl is a good pre-season resort, but not very good in mid-winter. Same goes for Obertauern (too small and crowded).

I wouldn't recommend other big resorts like Ischgl (crowded), Sölden (crowded), Schladming (not crowded in January but too flat, very good snowmaking) or Kitzbühl (nothing good about it at all).

Other choices include: Zauchensee (pretty big actually and mostly good snow and not many people, very good snowmaking), Hintertux (crowded if bad snow conditions), Nassfeld (allways lots of snow when everywhere else is no snow, but no snow when the rest of Austria has the dumps, best snowmaking)

Saalbach Hinterglemm is also not a bad choice either.

All this is for end of January, in Feb if the holidays starts its different.

Another great place to look at is Livigno. Italy has really catched up with Austria and this year with no single proper snowstorm from the North best snow in Europe.

Last year however Austria was best with snow depth between 2 and 6 meters at end of January. My local resort Hochkar, even had a base of over 6m.

I can't imagine that the smaller places will be bad.. they can't be smaller than any us resort..can they.. when you look at the area they cover..

Also It only takes a day or two to cover all ground in us resorts.. Plus you usually end up riding you favorite runs and thats it...

So again just looking for uncrowded groom,, nice place and I don't need a steep hill to kill myself.. I can do that on a green standing still.. :smashfrea

so Im looking at Arosa, Zermatt, Gstaad, and obergurgl hochgurgl..

I guess too if Im only going once.. Zermatt may be it.. but what are my second choices....

the link below has the best priceing for packages ..so look on this list and maybe there are others... like Val Gardena Italy or Cortina Ampezzo

http://www.ski-europe.com/resorts/resorts.html

Thanks

shred

Well from my above mentioned resorts in Austria I think they all have around 100km of slopes.

St Anton and the Arlberg region is the biggest and plays in a class of Zermatt. Zauchensee and Nassfeld will have better grooms but not the same scenery. Forget Obergurgl/Hochgurgl, its not worth it except in November, early december when they are the only non glacier region to be open in Austria.

For pictures of the resorts and the slopes www.alpinforum.com is a great place where many people post fotos from their trips. It's in german but you'll get the pictures. Search = Suche

hi

i use to go to laxx and it was always great especialy for freeride so much of open terrain. Carving is good but steeps are kind of spread in diffrent palaces in a big area. It is one of the best places for freeride snowboard.

If you go to Italy and like steeps and want to avoid big crowds you want to go to Araba / Marmolada area the best carving great steeps

stay clear from sella ronda and val gardena too crowded

I might just go to Telluride!!! instead ! sounds like Europe is in know way better than N.America for carving and groom...and sunny skies!

Can anyone tell me different..

My original thinking was heck.. just do it once and be done with it..

Arosa because of the area and charm and flair.. is still first on the list.. theres Gstadd and Zermatt as well.

Can anyone tell me about weather in these places end of January

The difference is that Europe is bigger. Places like Arlberg, Zermatt, (oh I forgot to add a recommendation for Saas Fee) or les Trois Vallés are way bigger than anything you can probably imagine. You have up too 400km of lift linked terrain meaning you can't even ski every slope during a one week stay. Just because of the slopes I don't think its worth it. It's the complete package that will make it unique.

I'm sure its a different flair too - on www.epicski.com - one of the biggest forums for skiing - you can read what many Americans think about European ski resorts and look at the comparisons. It's mostly Americans posting there.

if you looking for sun and groom it must be Italy.

Wide open trails that will stay in good condition all day,

perfect grooming (i dont know haw they do this but it is beter then on anywhare in east coast, somehow you dont see stiches between groomers lines)

People in Italy dont go ski before 11. Two and half hours you have slopes for yourself. They stay avay from steeps as well and will not go on powder snow.

perfect

Weather is usual great on this side of alps feburary is sunny but no fresh snow, all weather system get stuck on the other side of mountains.

Mountains are just gorges and more spectacular then anything i have seen in US

Great food and drinks right on the slope (they dont have that funny american attitude towards alcohol) You can have shot of grappa or bombalino without taking your board off.

Food food food (sorry guys food in american resorts does not even suck is worst then that)

Cost of lift is around 33 euro a day

All lifts are fast chairs with leg support, comfy seats and plastic shild when you cold

quality of everything, last time when my front binding broke handsom carabinieri(equiwalent of ski patrol) on his snowmobile gave me a ride home. (for free of course) aha make sure you have the leash it is mandatory in italy

I've never boarded in Europe, but Frommers has this to say about Switzerland :

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/switzerland/0244020247.html

and this about Austria :

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/austria/1757020619.html

For skiers, but has some good hints.

Second Carvedog's remarks about Richard, that's way too much groom for one man to handle...

It will be hard choosing thanks Allee... Arosa still comes up one on my list no matter what I read about it..

Saas Fee has carvers...I seen it in there catalog..the down fall is the time of year and the mountain layout leave it cold and dark in January.. but its always a crap shoot..

I looked at Val Gardena even though the above said it was crowded...It rated high on the groom scale.. but Im still thinking Arosa..or Gstaad..

Hey if I can fun in a village of 320 people... then Arosa should be no problem!!

Keep the info coming!!

Shred :biggthump

Years past Saas Fee was my number one choice a year ago... it might be again... I'll look at it again and get the winter package sent to me..

If you talk to him soon.. drop me a line and ask him about that time of year and cloudy conditions or is it sunny somethimes and DAS Groom!!??

It is supposed to be very nice but small.. but again who we kiddin...

KEEp it coming!!

Shred

I see... go here and click on the winter movie in upper right..

http://www.saas-fee.ch/en/ecard/

Shred, here are a few others to look at. Stuben, Lech, and Zurs (cheaper to stay in stuben and take the bus to Lech and Zurs) are all pretty good as well as St Anton and are all close together in the Arlberg region of eastern Austria and in Switzerland you should check out Davos and Engleberg. They both have varied terrain and riding on the glacier in Engleberg is pretty cool. I try to go every year and it is quite an experience as the mountains in Europe are much different than the mountains in North America...both are fun, but the scale is much different. Hope to hear stories of your trip and look forward to seeing pics.

cheers,

sandy

From my customer in Switzerland Re:Saas-Fee:

"My favourite ski place. Village has no cars and there is a "tube train" that

goes UP inside the mountain to the top of one peak. Handy when it is not

nice outside!! Height is 3,300 with glaciers. January = short days but

weather can be bad or great! This week we had windy weather so skiing was

limited. Saas Fee is limitless skiing. I have skied there in first two weeks

of May and it was brilliant. February to March would be the best days as you

have more sunlight."

Shred, you'll get more quality feedback if you post this on the EC Forum, there are more Europeans. But here are some great places you can go in Europe:

Austria:

Sölden

Pitztal

Hintertux

Kaprun

Italy

Livigno

Corvara/Colfosco

Cervinia

Switzerland

Zinal

Zermatt

Davos

Saas Fee

Grimentz

Best

Shred, you'll get more quality feedback if you post this on the EC Forum, there are more Europeans. But here are some great places you can go in Europe:

Austria:

Sölden

Pitztal

Hintertux

Kaprun

Italy

Livigno

Corvara/Colfosco

Cervinia

Switzerland

Zinal

Zermatt

Davos

Saas Fee

Grimentz

Best

Hi Shred,

I can only second Istvan's opinion.

But I'm from Europe too, so that's no wonder.

Better believe the locals.

My opinions below are based on my personal experience; not on hearsay.

For Austria I can second Soelden and Hintertux. Between those 2, Hintertux is my favorite. Less crowded, better snow, nicer village. Especially the black slalom run on Gefrorene Wandspitze is fantastic.

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/download.php?id=33662

For Italy: Livigno is great but a bit hard to get to. Cervinia I already mentioned. La Thuile, in the same region, very good too. And extremely quiet on the slopes.

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/files/la_thuile_193.jpg

For Switzerland, Zermatt is way better than Saas Fee. Saas Fee is really overpriced and overrated, especially when you consider the size of the area. Plus bad liftlines, especially when snow is scarce in other resorts.

To make it easier for you, here's a direct link to 3 discussions about favorite carving resorts in Europe:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1706 (in english)

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=991 (in german)

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13358 (in german)

IMO Livigno(1) and Soelden(3) are the best carving resorts in EU with great grooming and wide slopes.

Livigno is not expensive with alot tax free shops and plenty apres ski things to do at the end of your day and with high precentage of a good weather.

And just 40Km away from S.Moritz.

I think Richard goes to Cervinia(2) a lot were most of his photos taken or on a resort above Rome but I don't have info's about it.

post-1761-141842230113_thumb.jpg

post-1761-141842230116_thumb.jpg

post-1761-141842230118_thumb.jpg