Note to New Members ×

Space Invaders

Scott

I came screaming around the corner and over a drop on big ravine the other day to find a group larger than the one pictured sitting all over the run under the lip with the instructor (yes it was a group class) :smashfrea waxing eloquent on the finer points of carving (of all things) turns. After the emergency speed brake and the blind rage wore off I suggested he teach them how to not get themselves killed by not sitting below view under a drop and perhaps moving the 20 plus class of the run for lecture time. the instructor was probably 50 and should have known better but who knows:smashfrea

Its hard to suck your base up over that many people :lol:

I've noticed people don't like to go down in front of me. I'll say "you'd better go first" or something and they'll be like "nah, you go first" so I will, then they'll work hard to shoot past me going straight (very scary!). I keep falling for it so maybe I'm the fool (?)

But a cluster like that...strikes terror in the heart of the free carver!

There are hundreds and hundreds of straight line snowboarders and skiers on my local mountain. By the looks of things you would think that they outlawed turning on the hill. The only thing I can say is look up hill on any big turn you may make, I know I do. So many snowboarders don't really know how to ride. It's sad.

:lol:

Sometimes those 7-10 splits are tough.
:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's hilarious except that I am a big guy and I am afraid I might kill someone.

I wear body armor and a helmet more for the straight liners than for anything else. If I hit someone it would not be pretty:barf:

I'd be happy with a 7-10 split cause then that'd mean they're off to the side. Usually they're right there at the foot of the chairlift off-ramp.

They should have a zone right after the off-ramp where if you're in it you need to be moving. Just a lane a few people wide heading to the most popular destinations. It could be died into the snow. It'd be easy.

I ride a little hill and that scene is pretty common. Riding up with patrollers for a few runs they were quite complimentary of my angulation, turning, speed and control compared to most of the boarders who's idea of speed is a straight line. It's fun to pass these guys and glance back to see the look on their face.

You know whenever you carve past a group like this they will all get up and straight-line it down on all sides. Ruins a good run :mad:

It's amazing the speeds they can get even on their string cheese bases :D

But the nice thing about plates is that you're long gone before they get their bindings cranked up. I stood next to a group on Sat, as one of them was complaining "my butt is wet - this is the downside to snowboarding" to which I replied - "downside?" , stepped in and slid off down the hill...

(Buy some Gore-Tex dude ...)

And it's not the string cheese bases that amuse me, it's the fact that most of them haven't been waxed since they left the factory, and are missing big chunks of P-tex. Checking the racks at the local hill is always very entertaining...

i saw a boarder in the park the other day on one of those "wax free" park boards that will remain nameless. anyway, i saw when he took his board off to hike up to hit a rail again, that a whole letter of die cut ptex had popped off, so he had a big E shaped core shot.

i have never laughed so hard in my life.

Alex

I was bootin up in the parking lot once when I saw a kid pull up in his suv, open the back hatch, grab his board by a binding and proceed to DRAG HIS BOARD TO THE TICKET BUILDING! Actually dragging it... On fairly dry pavement! It was obvious that he's been doing that for a while too by the FLAT SPOT that was ground off the tail/toe-edge of his board! I REALLY wanted to run out there and tackle him and start beatin the tar out of him for being such an idiot. The sad thing is that people like that end up having kids.

I was bootin up in the parking lot once when I saw a kid pull up in his suv, open the back hatch, grab his board by a binding and proceed to DRAG HIS BOARD TO THE TICKET BUILDING! Actually dragging it... On fairly dry pavement! It was obvious that he's been doing that for a while too by the FLAT SPOT that was ground off the tail/toe-edge of his board! I REALLY wanted to run out there and tackle him and start beatin the tar out of him for being such an idiot. The sad thing is that people like that end up having kids.

one better...saw a guy (at least my age) ride his board all the way to the lodge...the last 100ft or so were not covered in snow but was brick pavers. Sparks were flying for a second and most people nearby looked at him in a stupor. He got unhooked like nothing was wrong.

another time saw a chick and her guy friend retrieving their boards from the racks (at Alpine) which held close to 50 pairs of skis and boards leaned up along a fence. Her guy friend had previously "rolled" into the seating area and tossed his board on the ground clang, clang skiid.

She goes to get here board, and an older gentleman (mid 50's) is putting his Tele's up to grab some cocoa and she doesn't even look as she rips her board from under another one. Needless to say the whole stack comes crashing down, and she starts laughing...guy friends does nothing. The older man is there with now 6pairs of skis and various boards in his lap on the ground...still she has her board and starts to walk away. He gets up and confronts her...not like an ass but well within his rights at the moment asking her to at least help pick up the boards. She flips onto a tirade about that guy being from the "valley" (of all places) and that she (a true Tahoe boarder since she lives down the street) has done nothing wrong. She walks off, my gf and I go over to help along with a nother woman. The whole time the guy friend had a look about him that he at least knew she was wrong but didi nothing to reprimand her to that effect. Sheep. She was super cool though.:sleep:

J

Nothing wrong with straightlining as long as you follow the code.

I've blown by many a people with a big eat shiet grin on my face straightlining some runs. Nobody got hurt that's all that matters.

As far as sitting in the middle of the run below a hill where you can't be seen...well that's a totally different situation.

RDY_2_Carve,

The difference is that you can control your speed at any given moment and practically come to a stop almost on the dime. Alot of kids who bomb the slopes and "straighline" can't control their speed that well. Every body bombs hills from time to time but being able to control your speed or stop is something that not every body can do.

one better...saw a guy (at least my age) ride his board all the way to the lodge...the last 100ft or so were not covered in snow but was brick pavers. Sparks were flying for a second and most people nearby looked at him in a stupor. He got unhooked like nothing was wrong.

:eek: (I wish there was a crying smiley)

We have people boarding right up to the door, but the patio area is wood and it's always soft and slick as hell. Not particularly hard on your board, but definately not good for it.

How can you not end up doing cartwheels when your board hits pavement? Gosh.

As far as sitting in the middle of the run below a hill where you can't be seen...well that's a totally different situation.

Well I'm pretty sure that is also advised against in the code.

You know, while we're changing things (heelside and toeside, not that I think they changed AT ALL) we should refrain from using the term "Straightliner" and instead use the term "Code-breaker".....:)

Well I'm pretty sure that is also advised against in the code.

You know, while we're changing things (heelside and toeside, not that I think they changed AT ALL) we should refrain from using the term "Straightliner" and instead use the term "Code-breaker".....:)

or The Unclean...or unenlightened or turnaphobic.

J

Using profane language to describe them doesn't bother me at all..

Those previously described as "Straightliners" shall now be dubbed by one or more names of the following, but not limited to, "Turnaphobe", "Idiot", "Dumbass", etc.

All in favor of this motion say aye...

:)