Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Carve-Fest in May?

Mike T

Guest thomas_m

Are the lower runs at Timberline still open that late in the season? If there are some greens still open, I'd like to bring the wife & kids.

My 6yr old son loves boarding an I think he'd get a kick out of Mt Hood looming over everything.

T.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by thomas_m

Are the lower runs at Timberline still open that late in the season? If there are some greens still open, I'd like to bring the wife & kids.

At the very least the Stormin' Norman lift should be open, and probably the Pucci lift. Unless it's crowded Molly's is rarely open when Palmer is. So there should be plenty of beginner terrain.

I will watch this thread and see if my schedule will allow me to make it over there for a day or two.

As far as I know salt raises the freezing temperature of the snow so it stays a bit firmer in the warm temps. A snow cat while grooming spreads it. In the past we always referred to them as "Salt Cats". The spring corn snow is more likely the most abrasive factor on structure, but you should not be concerned about it. What you should do (if they are salting) is to make sure that you wipe dry your board every day to remove any salt residue avoiding any oxidizing or rust on the edges.

kt

Originally posted by garyj

Mike what are the logistics for one flying in. Rental car? Portland airport? lodging? Depending on how the season goes at Mammoth, I might be interested. Let me know. Thanks. Gary

Portland (PDX) is the closest airport with arline service. It's about 1:15 from PDX to Timberline in good weather. If you stay at Timberline Lodge there may be shuttle service, check their website.... www.timberlinelodge.com

You can stay in Government Camp, the closest town - here are a few places: http://www.skibowl.com/winter/accommodations.html

Or Hood River, or any of the many motels between Sandy and Government Camp.

If you stay anywhere but Timberline you'll definitely want a rental car.

I live in Portland and will be there. Just keep up the forum chat when you set the specific dates.

To answer a question below about the salt: Yes, the salt can damage equipment but mainly ski bindings. It can corrode the moving parts and affect release. I suppose it could corrode board bindings but they are easily washed off after riding unlike the internals of a ski binding.

Not to be negative about Mt. Hood but the most damaging thing to the boards is when the snow is dirty with pumice dust. This is usually not a problem until later in the summer. As more and more of the snow melts on the mountain, the pumice rock is exposed. If a wind storm kicks up, the dust spreads out over the snow you are boarding on. I was up there once in late July and the snow was coated with pumice after a windy night. The snow was reddish brown. The pumice is very abrasive and does a job on your edges and base....Ski binding release is really affected by the pumice getting into the mechanism...but not my problem.

Tim

Since nobody has asked about other dates, and I've already got the time off from work approved :)

I contacted someone at Timberline. We can get tickets for $24 each if we can get at least 10 riders for at least 3 days.

For out-of-towners, here are some Lodging possibilities in addition staying at Timberline. The search gives distance from Government Camp, add 6 miles to get distance from Timberline.

...sounds like fun. I should be able to make it, so count me in. I will have our Donek demo fleet as well, so if the conditions look O.K. I could bring some down.

Also - a couple of guys emailed me about doing a carving clinic/digital video kind of thing. How many out there are interested?

Looking forward to May.

-Sean

Definitely count me as interested in a clinic!

Unless it rains every day from now till May 13 there should be much more than adequate coverage for demoes. As long as nobody tries to take an Axis out of bounds there shouldn't be any problems.

Looks like this is shaping up pretty well - and it's giving me something to really look forward to as I rest my mending ankle ligaments :)

Guest thomas_m

Considering this is my first season boarding and the Mt Hood event will probably be my 5th or 6th day in hardboots, a clinic would be fantastic for me.

Thomas

Originally posted by Mike T

For out-of-towners, here are some Lodging possibilities in addition staying at Timberline. The search gives distance from Government Camp, add 6 miles to get distance from Timberline.

Mike, do you think staying in a Government Camp motel would be the best choice of lodging or staying at Timberline lodge?

I will probably be able to come only Sat and Sun.

It's really up to you. If you stay at Timberline Lodge you can roll out of bed and onto the lift and they might have a package deal with tickets. If you stay in Government Camp there's a couple of bars and things like that all within walking distance. I would guess that Gov't Camp costs a little less but it's hard to know for sure. April and May, along with September through Thanksgiving are the off-season though... From Memorial Day through Labor Day the place is a zoo with camps, camps and more camps.

I will be making the drive from portland every day if anyone wants to stay downtown pdx as an option . I am willing drive people up and back if needed. It takes about an 1 hr and 15min to get to T-line. It is nice to be right there as mike has stated and I think you can get good deals at that time of the year.

Guest Randy S.

I've put it on my calendar tentatively. Dang, it seems like I just flew to PDX a few weeks ago...oh yeah, I did. Mike/Sean, can we see about getting some stubbies for sleeves for our clinic? I love running gates whenever possible. If I come, I'll bring my radar gun and we can have some laughs with that.

Is that lift that serves the race lanes open in May? You can make a short hike up from there (20-30 mins) and have some great virgin corn runs. Hmmm. Maybe I need to pack the snowshoes as well. The bag's getting heavier all the time.

Randy, yes, Palmer is open in May - it's open now as a matter of fact. We won't get virgin runs up there but it'll be the next best thing. Definitley bring your radar gun, especially if you can make it on Thursday, becaue you just migt have a chance to break 69!

As far as putting up stubbies, 1st question is will Timberline cooperate. I'll find out.