Note to New Members ×

Newbie needs some binding advise>

bob knox

I have been searching the archives, and I'm starting to get freaked out about used/cheap bindings. I recently purchased a Donek FC1 from Starting gate (thanks Shawn), but now I need bindings. My wife had an absolute FIT when she found out I bought the board, so dropping another $290 on bindings will have me sleeping in the car. I'm looking at the F2 RS and Ibex setups with an eye on the classifieds for TD2's or Catek's. I'm a bit hesitant to buy used since I have no experience of what to look for in terms of abuse/failure points. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I'm 6' and 150 lbs, been skiing for 25+ years, and yes, I plan on taking a lesson as soon as I have my board together.

Waiting for more snow in NH,

Bob K.

I'll try to help you out as best I can based on what I've read on these forums. also, on that note, try using the search function -- there's a lot of info here to be found, it's just difficult sifting through all of it sometimes.

so, to summarized what i've read:

-At 150 pounds, you probably shouldn't have to worry about binding failures

-at your skill level, you probably won't be flexing and over stressing those bindings

-in short, you probably don't need the full aluminum construction found in bomber td2 or catek os2

-F2 bindings or other non-full alum will do. be wary of some models of burton plate bindings (some are more reliable than others). raichle x-bones is anotehr good candidate, and i can't think of any others

-along the lines of F2 vs burton, i'd go with F2 bindings instead since you'll have much better part support should you need to do maintenance down the line

i'm pretty new to this myself, but this was essentially the kind of info that was given to me, and the info i've seen given to others. i just put the $$$ down for some new TD2s, but i don't really have very many obligations i'm responsible for or have to answer to (god forbid i had a noose on my neck, ball & chain, and whip crackin).

anyone with more experience can feel free to chime in and correct me if i'm providing bogus/incorrect info.

I gotta disaggree about the part support on the F2 stuff

everybody and their mother can get burton parts be it from the classifieds here, Klug or Burton

the Ibex plates are the same as burton race plates

sno pro plates are good and can be had cheap

the TD1 and catek WCs can be had around $100 as well

Bob, sent you an email...

Also - F2 parts are VERY hard to get without going to an overseas source, as bobdea said, and Burton parts are easier to find - especially now that Ibex is making the plates again.

If I were you I'd go for the F2 Race Titanium, Burton from 01/02 (orange) or 02/03 (red), or used TD-1's (if you use TD-1's with the Donek, pick up a set of the plastic topsheet protectors and the longer mounting screws from Donek - $18 I think).

welcome to bomber!

If you find some Td1s or Cateks os1 for cheap, snatch those right up. They'll last you a long time. I have burton plates (red ones) and they're decent too. Make sure that if you buy the burton plates, you also get a cant plate too. Cant is to lift up the rear heel. It helps out alot in technique.

Theres quite a few of use from boston on here. Wachusett is a great place to learn mainly because you wont have to be paying $50 to use 1 or 2 trails like at loon. I'm able to head there quite a few times a week so let me know if you want to tag along. I usually have plenty of room in the car.

Thanks Gleb! I should have bindings of some kind by next week, so as soon as it's cold I'll be heading to Wachusette after work (from Hollis NH). I e-mailed the instructors listed there for lesson options, but have not had a reply yet. Regardless, I can't wait to give this rocket a try.

Bob K.

I don't know how up to date that instructor list is but those lessons run pretty expensive because it has to be a private lesson. $60/hr i think. We can give you all the help you need. I've never been on a donek but thats a solid board to learn on. Welcome the the money pit sport known as alpine snowboarding...:D

Bob, I would strongly advise you stay away from non-adjustable bindings such as Burton and the old Bomber TD1. Putting those on your Donek would be like putting steel wheels on your M5. You can afford the goods. Don't limit the quality of your experience for a few bucks.

When you're ready to mount your bindings, here is some reading:

http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/setup.cfm

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/TD2_setup.cfm

And to clarify what Gleb was trying to say, "cant" and "lift" are two separate things. You would not use a cant to lift your heel. More on cant and lift here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/canting.cfm

Dude, If you are just getting into carving don't worry about all the high tech crap. A pair of Burton performance plates or anything better will put you on the snow with no worries. I've bought performance plates here for around $50. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend to get the top end stuff. If you want it, or are good enough to need it, then thats what you need. BUT, you don't need it to ride.

Gotta pay to play :AR15firin

F2 Race bindings in the BOL store for $199, TD2's for $289.

Used X-Bones would work for your weight range too and very easy to setup, I sold two sets recently for a little over $100.

Good luck,

Hugh

Nope...only the F2 Carve RS are available in the Bomber Store...no Race Titaniums or other Race models.

Used Burton Race Plates here.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close this thread incase anyone searches it in the future, I ended up going with SnowPro Race bindings off e-bay for $90 shipped. The bindings are OK for a beginner, but they are heavy. With my ski boot setup (mondo 28.5 Nordica's) the angles are pretty severe on the Donek FC1 167 (67 front, 65 rear with a 44 cm stance width). Just trying to buckle in and stand up in the living room was very difficult. Man I need to stretch more. My right ankle (I ride regular, not goofy) has very limited mobility due to a previous broken leg, and that is proving to be a bigger hurdle than I expected. I still can't wait to try it out, but I need a little more living room practice/stretching before I attempt a chairlift off ramp.

Bob K.

Just to close this thread incase anyone searches it in the future, I ended up going with SnowPro Race bindings off e-bay for $90 shipped. The bindings are OK for a beginner, but they are heavy. With my ski boot setup (mondo 28.5 Nordica's) the angles are pretty severe on the Donek FC1 167 (67 front, 65 rear with a 44 cm stance width). Just trying to buckle in and stand up in the living room was very difficult. Man I need to stretch more. My right ankle (I ride regular, not goofy) has very limited mobility due to a previous broken leg, and that is proving to be a bigger hurdle than I expected. I still can't wait to try it out, but I need a little more living room practice/stretching before I attempt a chairlift off ramp.

Bob K.

If you are 6' tall - try widening that stance width out to 48-50 cm if you can. That might buy you a couple degrees on the angles too. If you can get 65 rear you should be able to get 65 front...so maybe with a wider stance you can get 63-60 or so?? What's the waist width on that board? If your rear ankle bothers you, don't go without some sort of cant/lift on the rear binding.

Also - F2 parts are VERY hard to get without going to an overseas source...

Nearly all the parts (save for the base plate goodies) on the F2 Carve RS and INTEC™ RS are compatible with the Race Titanium and INTEC™ Titanium bindings. I don't know how many parts Bomber stocks for the F2 bindings but we have an extensive stock. Oddly enough... we haven't sold ANY spare parts for F2 bindings in 4 seasons other than lost screws and EDS pads. So the short of it... parts are here in North America, Bomber for USA, and YYZCANUCK for Canada.