Note to New Members ×

Need a trick to avoid "sitting on the toilet"

Yard Sale

7 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Eric, this thread is 10 years old. Not sure what you are getting at. 

Exactly. 10 years? I covered this 'issue' awhile ago. And, I'm certain Jack has had something in writing, awhile back, as well. If this was hash in my pan, it wouldn't just be crispy, it would have mold on it too.

On 1/31/2017 at 11:53 PM, najserrot said:

how does "sitting on the toilet" look (i don't know if i'm doing this)? any one got some pics?

The following article focuses mainly on toe-side toilet butt, but has some great pictures.  Anyway on the heelside, the butt still looks the same; unbalanced and aiming the wrong way.  As I understand it, the problem stems from the angulation.  Toilet butt bends your knees and places your CG i a way that reduces your heel-side edge's inclination against the snow.  You want to drive your knees and hips into the snow and stack your CG near over the turning edge.   On heel side the two things I revert to when I need to reset my back-side turn are:

1) pretend I've got a steering wheel over the nose of the snowboard and I have to hold onto it with both hands. or

2). Tuck my front hand (left if you are regular footed) behind my front knee.  This at least gets my shoulders squared up and by extension my hips.

Edited by st_lupo

Racers/racestyle don't rotate their upperbody, their shoulders, or their hips. The movement is only up and down from the legs and flexed ankles. Rotation style is mostly used with push and pull technique, especially with (extreme) carving. So just depends on your style you want to ride with. None of the styles have their butt out, both work with flexing the lower body and keep the upper body straight. A couple of years ago there was a topic on this here too with many technique vids.

Yardsale the answer to your question is......well, It all depends

There are so many factors that could be giving you toilet turns......... but I say worry less about what your butt is doing and put more energy/focus into finishing your turn.  If your Driving the board into and through the heelside turn you won't/can't be on the toilet.

As it has been mentioned above.........in the heat of the heelside turn focus on reaching forward with your trailing arm......(don't leave your trailing arm at your side or behind you as a rudder) and when you make that trailing arm reach towards/past the turn you will REALLY feel the board come around....and at that moment your Driving the board instead of just riding it.  Once your comfortable with that, and what helped me even more  is try to get your trailing elbow to touch your front knee during that heelside turn. 

Also be aware of what your rear knee is doing............when I get tired my heelsides get sloppy because my rear knee/thigh lags behind and is pointing up as compared to pointing towards the turn.   So just remembering to keep pulling/putting  your knee into your neutral/center if it's splayed  out during the turn can help significantly 

Take one task at a time and take it to the hill and practice, practice, practice

Happy Carving!