Note to New Members ×

Fishin and huntin

jtslalom

I was wondering if any one else on this site bass fishes or hunts because no body ever seems to talk about it. I sometimes feel like I am the only hick on this site. When spring comes I'm bass fihing. This goes all through the summer and into fall until bow season opens. This is when I'm sticking deer and shooting ducks. I also fish for Muskies then. When December rolls around I'm caught between riding my board and shotgun deer season. I can't get enough of shooting deer, ducks or catching bass and Muskie. I was wondering if there are any other hunters or fishermen out there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too much into fishing, but heard plenty(ex was really into fishing)-I've fished alot in my younger years.

I haven't hunted in many years-I do want to get back into it eventually.

I think bow hunting is extremely cool and I admire bowhunters much more than the average joe who hunts in a blind next to a deer feeder he's stocked for 3 months.

Don't even get me started on the guys who go to the game ranches..... :barf:

Not so much a bass fisherman but I am an avid fly fisherman, we have a lake near, Lake Silverwood, that you can catch 6 species of fish out of there. In one outing in the float tubes my buddy and I landed largemouth, stripers, rainbow trout, crappie, bluegill and the occasional catfish. This was all in one afternoon and we were both using our fly rods. The biggest LMB that day was an 8 lber. All fish were caught on a wooly booger with sinking line. All fish were also released to be caught another day. I just enjoy fishing no matter what ends up on the end of the line.

Golden trout from the Sierras

fc3.jpg

Striper from Lake Silverwood

striper.jpg

I do alot of bass fishing around my home (SE MN). If you look at a map of this part of the state there are no lakes but ALOT of tiny streams and rivers that are filled with smallmouth. I throw on a pair of old shoes and just walk the river and for a couple of hours. When fall hits, the goose hunting is off the charts. We set up about 300 decoys and usually limit out by 10am every day. The deer hunting is pretty good also. I too am torn between hunting and riding once december hits. Morning temp was 57 and there were about 150 geese in the field behind my house......... :AR15firin

Sinecure....put some camo paint on the redneck bass boat and you now have a redneck duck boat. :biggthump

I'm an avid fisherman, getting in over 90 days on the water in a good year... Walleye and Smallmouth bass are my usual targets when I am home around Chicago, but you can add Salmon and Steelhead to the list when I am at school in Michigan...

One thing I love about Marquette is that in Late Febuary and March, I can fish Steelhead in the mornings, go ride till the hill turns to mashed potatoes, and then go and fish some more :1luvu:

I enjoy bow hunting and fishing also. I just got home last night from an archery deer hunt. We backpacked into the Ruby Mountain Wilderness (gods country) in North Eastern Nevada. Spent 10 days in the wilderness and hunted for 7 days. I did not get a deer but I did catch my first fish using a flyrod that I bought just for this trip, it was a cutthroat trout. I caught the fish in Hidden Lakes shown below. :biggthump

post-831-14184221908_thumb.jpg

post-831-141842219081_thumb.jpg

post-831-141842219083_thumb.jpg

I do trout fishing on the trips back to New Zealand.... rainbows in Lake Taupo with the ocassional brown.

In Tongariro/Taupo area, limit is 3 fish a day, I can usually hit that if the season is right. Tongariro is a reasonably big river, similar in size to the one that flows right through Reno; I think that is maybe the Truckee river. The other rivers in the area are smaller, no point in fishing anything too small otherwise it ends up very messy, as there are blackberry bushes everywhere forwing over the banks.

Tackle for first fish is barbed, then go to barbless for 2nd and 3rd as anything less than 4 pounds is put back; on a big run, my dad used to let anything back that was less than about 6 pounds, that was when the limit was 8 fish, and he reached that quite frequently.

- 7/8 weight 9 foot NZ carbon rod (most people these days using 10 or 11 footers)

- carbon reel with floating line weight forward

- typical set up would be 10 foot leader with a glow bug weighted and bug eyes, then 18 inches to the dropper hare and copper either slightly weighted body or virtually no weight; both on size 14 or size 16 hooks

The style of fishing is messy on tongariro, as the water is moderate speed and quite deep; you through almost all the line (in no wind would be casting right to the backing) up and across; big roll cast straight after to hold the line up the river and let the fly sink; then roll and retreive, then let out again and then finally do one monster cast back upstream. The line is being whipped all over the top of the water, and it looks ugly, but it works. The smaller streams are about finesse, but tongariro is about big casts, deep fly in the water, and landing big fishies :-)

I have a hard time juggling early waterfowl season and big game rifle season here. Late waterfowl season interferes with carving. Summer pretty much just sucks for me since I find fishing boring for the most part. the occassional high mountain fly fishing trip for native cutthroats gets me goin though. they are catching huge Macks right now on Flathead lake. We also have great ice fishing but that also interferes with carving.

I mostly fly fish for trout in the spring and early summer, then salmon when the runs start... Attached is the best catch so far, this year, taken on Fraser River on a casting rod. Last year I had a bigger one on a 6wt fly rod (rod survived). I was casting for smaller Coho, when the monster Spring hit. As that pool didn't have much flow, I was able to play and land the fish.

In despite a fair amount of big fish I have cought, including the Dorado (Mahe-Mahe) on the open ocean, my favorite is fishing 3wt for small rainbows on mountain streams. I just don't get to do it so often with all the other fishing opportunities closer to Vancouver...

Boris

P.S. I've got excessive quiver of fly rods, for the case someone wants to trade for sowboard gear...

post-1678-141842219085_thumb.jpg

Been fishing here in the Okanagan a bit. I mostly troll flies on lakes because my wife can't cast yet. When I am by myself, I cast dries or nymphs.

I use a 6 weight setup with floating or sinking lines.

I recently built up a 6 wt 3 pc 10' Baston rx7 rod with carbon seat, and Ti saltwater guides with blue ceramic inserts. It sure looks neat. It sure is a long rod , but it will work good when I am Float tubing on Hike in Mountain lakes.

On another note, do any one of you know how to release epoxy, I have a reel seat ring that accidentally got glued in place. How can I release it?

post-221-141842219101_thumb.jpg

post-221-141842219103_thumb.jpg

On another note, do any one of you know how to release epoxy, I have a reel seat ring that accidentally got glued in place. How can I release it?

Ouch, man, that's bad. :(

Releasing epoxy from metals - heat.

Releasing epoxy from composites - no cure without demaging one (or both) component.

Maybe on of the snowboard manufacturers would know better?

I'll ask tomorrow at the boatyard, just in case.

Boris

Used to Bass fish a lot in NH...and go out for stripers a couple of times a year. Haven't done any since moving to CO but I have an old 7 weight flyrod that I'm looking forward to playing with sometime.

Any body hunt birds in CO? Always wanted to give that a go...I've got a 16ga bolt action.

went out at 4:30 to catch the sunrise and a couple rainbows and ended up playing a fish for damn near 15 minutes, I love atlantic salmon though, they love to jump.

7x tippet is not exactly the ideal tippet for a fish that size

• 2 weeks later...
Ouch, man, that's bad. :(

Releasing epoxy from metals - heat.

Releasing epoxy from composites - no cure without demaging one (or both) component.

Maybe on of the snowboard manufacturers would know better?

I'll ask tomorrow at the boatyard, just in case.

Boris

I've removed graphite shafts from golf clubs with heat without damaging the shaft. I apply a heatgun while twisting the shaft by hand. As soon as the heat releases the epoxy, the shaft twists and I remove the heat. It helps that I'm applying the heat to the metal clubhead and not to the shaft directy.

I fish and hunt...

Fishing...mostly saltwater flyfishing (stripers, and tuna) and trying to land some Atlantic Salmon every other year up in Quebec, and some trout in CT every once in a while.

Hunting...love to bird hunt, I've got a 2+ year old Brittany, and too many guns. I also traditional archey hunt for deer, moose, bear, and turkey. As well as enjoy some gun hunting for those animals in the non-bow seasons.

My favorite time of year is about to begin...now through March...

• 2 weeks later...

I build one-piece, self backed wooden hunting bows, from tree selection and cutting, to stave seasoning, to layout and tillering, to finished bow. Of course, I love to bowhunt as well. I just finished making my hunting arrows for this year (650 grain ash arrows). Hopefully, at least one will be stained crimson red before long. I'm getting excited with the season opener just two weeks away!

An osage bow with horn nocks, made this summer...

Friar2a.jpg

A snakeskin backed bow...

Squirrel20056a.jpg

Last year, 200 yard stalk, 20 yard shot...

2005Doe21a.jpg

Done some fishing. Never got into it, but I have some great memories of fishing with my dad and brother.

Thinking about getting into huning. My dad grew up in the boonies so he was weaned with guns, besides my grandfather serving under Gen.Patton and all that entailed e.g. lots of WW2 stuff around the house. Spent some time at some ranges shooting 22rimfire and SW40 Glock. Love rifle range shooting, though not keen on handguns as I'm a fairly good rifle shot and not used the range/accuracy limitations of handguns. Struggling to yeild decent groups at a target 10m in front of me was quite humbling lol. The experience certainly gave me a greater appreciation for police officers who get the job done with what to me should be a secondary rather than a primary. :)

Thought about getting a Saiga 12 Tactical rifled-barreled by izhmash. Solid looking gun, but totally impractical for what I do, limited range shooting, and I wouldn't want to ever buy a gun I couldn't also hunt with; a precision .223/5.56 for squirrl hunting would be more fitting for my area of the country, though I guess I could pigeon hunt with the saiga. :D

Wikipedia: Saiga 12