Note to New Members ×

Fishin and huntin

jtslalom

I build one-piece, self backed wooden hunting bows, from tree selection and cutting, to stave seasoning, to layout and tillering, to finished bow. Of course, I love to bowhunt as well. I just finished making my hunting arrows for this year (650 grain ash arrows). Hopefully, at least one will be stained crimson red before long. I'm getting excited with the season opener just two weeks away!

I hope to build my own bow someday. My favorite wilderness was home to the Sheepeater Indians, who made some of the finest bows in the west. They were able to trade the bows for several horses. They were layered wood with sheep horns layered in for a sort of laminated, very powerful bow.

For now I will shoot my compound and I am going out tonight for elk. :biggthump Got my first with a bow last year. Deer too but the main goal is elk. And the weather has cooled substantially the last couple of days, so with any luck at all I will be hearing them bugle tonight.

I also fly fish a bit on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River. Not the biggest but I think it is the best fishing in the world out there. My wife and I did eight days of rafting and fishing out there for our honeymoon.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( I busted mu 8wt fly rood last Saturday. Fished mouth of Capilano River for Coho, but hooked a Spring... Bang! of goes the but section. Fish was still on so I pulled on fly-line, then the hook straightened out.

Al,

Nice fish. We never had chance to talk fishing when we met at WES.

AK,

Beautifull bows, you make.

Boris

Fly fishing for trout, yes! I finally got out some this year and had a great time. It was fun for my son too (he was 4 at the time). He was able to hold one of the little rainbows I caught. I also have a tattoo on my right bicep of a waterfall/stream/rocks with a brook trout figured prominantly. One of these days I'll get a picture of it.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Im strongly considering getting into hunting this year. I've been shooting target archery for most of my life, and I've also been shooting rifles for a LOOOONG time, so I don't know which way to go for hunting. I'm only planning on getting one deer this season, maybe a second to give to the local food kitchen. The shop up the road has a 30-06 rifle with scope for $399, or I can just get a half dozen arrows and some broadheads and take out my seldom used compound. Hmmm...decisions decisions. To put the icing on the cake, my house abbuts state forest land, and up the street (literally...my road ends in a culdesac) is some great deer hunting from what the neighbors have said. Its funny during shotgun season, if you get up around 6 on the weekends and look out the window sometimes you see the neighbors walking up the street with their shotguns :lol: Gotta love NH.

________

Ipod Games

I deer hunt with a 30-06 and love it. Have dropped a deer at around 400 yards with it. Do some research on the gun though, $399 with a scope seems pretty cheap. Be careful hunting on state forest land; around here it is like a shooting gallery, hunters making "sound shots" before they see the deer.

Yeah, it did seem pretty cheap to me too. Im going to go back tomorrow to get more information as they were closing for the night about 5 minutes after I got there. From what little I did see, it seemed like a nice weapon, maybe not the best, but definitley good enough to get a start in it. I think it was a Mossberg Model 100 ATR, but Im not sure.

________

TOYOTA FJ40 SPECIFICATIONS

Seems like a durn fine deal. I don't know much about Mossberg rifles but I have an older 12 gauge pump that has been problem free. On the other side, one of the guys I goose hunt with had a newer Mossberg 12 gauge semi-auto that he finally got rid of because it kept jamming regardless of weather conditions. I have also heard from other people who have had the same issue. Is that gun bolt or semi? Kind of hard to pass on a deal like that. :AR15firin

For $350 I would go for the Saiga 12 hands down. It's the tank of shotguns. But it may be lacking in accuracy for you, though you can get a rifled version if you're going to be doing slug shooing. Tar-Hunt RSG-12 is hands down the slug sniping rifle/shotgun, but it's more that the kind of money your talking about right now.

How to Buy a Used Gun

Mossberg 500 16th on F&S list. Can't believe the Saiga12 isn't on the list. Saiga12 single-handedly proved a semi-auto shotgun could be reliable. Just what you would expect from IZHMASH. :)

Thinking about picking up a Saiga 12 Tactical, but I don't hunt and only go the range a few times a year so it doesn't make since for me to buy anything. Oh, and your charged an additional ~$400 just for the pistol grip. I love politics... :freak3: FYI Russian American Armory is the importer for IZHMASH.

I got back from the dealer about an hour ago with a brandy new mossberg ATR100 with scope in black synthetic with a gorgeous blued barrel and bolt assembly. $299 for the rifle, and $23 for 48 rounds of 30-06 surplus ammo for target or (wicked badass) plinking. Im excited to go shoot it now, but alas I have other things to do today :(

Well I just had to add my 2 cents. I am going on my first deer hunt in 4 weeks, there is this program that the DNR puts on every year for first time deer hunters and then they allow you to hunt on their refuge. I am really excited about going deer hunting and hope that I get one.

The only I am not too thrilled with is field dressing. So I plan on buying a field dressing video to prepare myself for my inpending deer camp. I will also make sure I get a solid shot behind the shoulders and not a gut shot. Ack!:AR15firin

Well I just had to add my 2 cents. I am going on my first deer hunt in 4 weeks, there is this program that the DNR puts on every year for first time deer hunters and then they allow you to hunt on their refuge. I am really excited about going deer hunting and hope that I get one.

The only I am not too thrilled with is field dressing. So I plan on buying a field dressing video to prepare myself for my inpending deer camp. I will also make sure I get a solid shot behind the shoulders and not a gut shot. Ack!:AR15firin

Alright way to go and hope you get one. Here is a small how to cook venison tip for you.

First after you butcher and cut it up, before you freeze it , remove any membrane and bones, store the red meat only. this is because all the gamey taste come from these parts, not the red meat. then when you cook it it is a little like Bison, do not over cook, med rare is perfect with a little red. To help with a juicy steak on the BBQ which is superb, go to the local butcher and ask for some beef fat trimmings, slice this fat up into small little strips, chunks and then slice little cuts into your venison and add these little beef fat strips and hold in place with tooth picks. BBQ away and open a bottle of red wine and you will be smiling. this is time tested and true for me and have impressed so many none believers of how good venison is. Hope it helps

AL

All this talk about venison is making me hungry. My boyfriend is also an avid hunter so we are both hoping to put a lot of meat away this year. He also processes his own meat, so I will have to pay close attention.

He is also said that fawn is yummy too, although shooting a baby deer would probably freak me out a little. Our hunting instructor (from deer camp workshop) said brown down. Buck, Doe, Yearling or fawn is fair game.

I am exhausted. I just got back from a 14 hour fishing expedition up to some of the lakes on the continental divide. I'm just about to cook up some fresh trout, and I couldn't be more happy. Those high alpine lakes are so perfect for fishing.

Jim, what kind of trout were you catchin'? Cutties, brookies. Let me know, I always enjoy hiking into the high country in the Sierras looking for the elusive Golden Trout. I have never fried any up though as the minimum size limit is 14", in the high country, 10,000 ft +, the growing season is not so long so a fish that is 14" is a rare find!!

We caught 9 cutties in two lakes between 3 of us. In one of the lakes we were seeing 18"+ fish 10 yards from shore and they wouldn't bite. We spent so many hours at that lake, with no monster fish. I had one near miss from a massive fish, but the hook didn't set properly. Funny enough, we caught 3 of the fish within 3 minutes of each other when we first got there, and another 3 with our last three casts. Weird in that regards. I plan on cooking them up with some truffled roasted potatoes and a lemon beurre blanc, with a small salad of baby arugula and cherry tomatoes. I'm salivating just writing about it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those of us that kill things, was just wondering how the deer season went for everyone. Rifle season is over here in MN. I got a 10 point that was 234 lbs hanging, my mother got an 8 point 257 lbs hanging plus a spike, three does and a fawn buck that someone tried poaching off our land. We heard them shoot from the road and take off. The fawn died about 100 yds in our woods. We sat and waited and 30 minutes later they came back and were quite suprised to see us sitting by the deer they shot. Long story short, they were cited and will be in court soon. :nono:

For those of us that kill things, was just wondering how the deer season went for everyone. Rifle season is over here in MN. I got a 10 point that was 234 lbs hanging, my mother got an 8 point 257 lbs hanging plus a spike, three does and a fawn buck that someone tried poaching off our land. We heard them shoot from the road and take off. The fawn died about 100 yds in our woods. We sat and waited and 30 minutes later they came back and were quite suprised to see us sitting by the deer they shot. Long story short, they were cited and will be in court soon. :nono:

I hunt a lot, but the actual killing rarely takes place. Maybe that is the nature of bow hunting. :rolleyes: I actually used to tell my wife that I was going to take my bow for a walk. Which was more accurate than the term hunting. I am better now. And no I did not get anything this year. Saw several nice bull elk and lots of cows. Couldn't buy a glimpse at a deer. ??

I hate poachers. :angryfire Good on you for turning them in. Still kind of tough when they know where you live and have weapons too. A few stupid hunter a$$es sure ruin it for a lot of us.

Antelope hunting a few years ago I had a guy shoot over my head twice at a herd that was only 150 yards from me (me wearing a red coat and waving it violently until he fired and I hit the deck :angryfire:mad::angryfire:mad::angryfire ) and 600 yards from him. Of course my hour long stalk was ruined, by the time I cleared the ridge they were 3/4 mile away.