Note to New Members ×

Snowboarder to plead guilty . . .

Pat Donnelly

Does anyone see any possible way of assuring some level of basic competence before a lift ticket is sold to a person going higher than the bunny slope???

I'd also like to see a rule that before they'll serve you alcohol on the mountain, you have to give up your ticket or pass. Does anyone else think it's crazy for ski lodge bars to serve people 3+ drinks at lunch knowing that they're going to go back on the slopes?

And I agree with everyone that's been saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't tell a stupid $#@# noob where not to sit, because they take it personally." What's wrong with those people? I mean, if I wanted to insult their riding, I'd just do it--no need to be sneaky about it. Is it so hard to hear "it's not safe to stop here" and think "this guy is trying to tell me something important." ?

Just thinking about stopping in some of those high-traffic/high speed blind corners makes my skin crawl, yet I see people hanging out at those places all the time. Might as well sit down in the middle of one of those cloverleaf freeway exits. What does it take for those people to learn?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest-to-God, this happend to me at a place on Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I came down a run and made my way over to the lift. A collection of young punk boarders had flopped down right in front of the rope gate to the lift line, which was completely empty. There was absolutely no way to get to the lift unless someone got up and moved! WTF??? I had my rock board so I just plowed over them! IMHO they were trying to be gangsta

Well said about the ETOH Dan. I guess I could have saved alot of time and just said to use common sense. Unfortunately with the entitlement society we live in today, the Me First attitude will prevail. D, I have had the lip from lots of little skid marks on the hill at it gets plenty old. Just sayin Im gonna do my best to take the high road (do my best being the operative words). I know I often feel that it might be in somebodies best interest to educate them about the code or even rudimentary safety but I will chose my battles and try to avoid the :argue: . Its all about having fun but people seem to forget that having fun involves some risk. Famous last words "watch this" or "let me light that" or "I can do that" "how fast can you go?" "you wanna see some air?" and the oft(not)heard "on your left/right". next thing you know having fun= :ices_ange

Neither he, nor any of the "unibombers" that have hit me or whom I have talked to after they have hit others have ever been aware that it was their responsibility to not hit the DH person. They usually get upset with me that I would even suggest such "stupidity".

absolutely ridiculous. that **** calls for blows :)

you know...when I was at Bachelor...ridin with Timinor...we were cuttin across a traverse run. Me behind him. He starts to pass "below" this chick, on her heelside...and somehow RIGHT as he does so she drops into a heel turn to catch a run down.

hits him...not hard...but she tumbles and he stops. She gets up so he keeps goin, turns down the next run over, and here she comes cutting across and starts cussing him out. I flipped. She NEVER even looked when she turned, SHE hit HIM from above, and somehow decided it was his "fault"

dumb bitch.

anyway...you are right...hit from above, usually aboves fault, but...man...its gotta be realized that stopping in the middle of a run..>ANY run...is just plain stupid!

...I was thinking about this as I was driving through a residential area today, and wonder if there is some correlation between riding and driving. At each intersection I found myself scanning for oncoming cross-traffic, just in case someone blew through the stop sign. I believe it's called defensive driving, where you are ever-alert for sleepers who might ruin your day--even if you have right of way.

As people don't have to get a license to ride a board or skis, it seems even more likely that you'll find folks who do dumb things on the slopes, and being "bonehead-aware" on the slopes is as good an idea as it is on the road.

I view driving as a practical thing - getting from A to B - whereas riding a snowboard down a hill is pure recreation. Therefore the context of the rules is going to differ.

When driving it's fair to demand a high level of "bonehead-awareness" because that awareness doesn't cause too great an impact on the practicality of driving - you'll still get from A to B, and it probably won't slow you down more than couple of seconds.

But exercising large amounts of "bonehead-awareness" when riding a snowboard can take away all the fun, at least for people like us who like to go fast.

I'd like to think that people will look uphill and make a considered judgment before resuming after a stop, but typically they don't and often end up moving straight into my path. It sucks, and the amount of "bonehead-awareness" I have to practice really limits the lines I can take, and the amount of enjoyment I have.

And I agree with everyone that's been saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't tell a stupid $#@# noob where not to sit, because they take it personally." What's wrong with those people? I mean, if I wanted to insult their riding, I'd just do it--no need to be sneaky about it. Is it so hard to hear "it's not safe to stop here" and think "this guy is trying to tell me something important." ?

Interestingly enough, I've always had the opposite reaction. I stop at least once a day to tell someone that they're camped in a bad place, and all I usually get is "oh sorry ... thanks". Maybe Canadians are way too polite and wait until I've left to cuss me out. Or maybe I just smile nicely?

To be fair, Art was right. A lot of them, especially raw beginners, tend to sit where they fall while they wait for the pain to subside. It never occurs to them that it might not be safe. If they're not told, they'll never learn.

Interestingly enough, I've always had the opposite reaction. I stop at least once a day to tell someone that they're camped in a bad place, and all I usually get is "oh sorry ... thanks". Maybe Canadians are way too polite and wait until I've left to cuss me out. Or maybe I just smile nicely?

I think that sometimes my face paint puts people off.

Interestingly enough, I've always had the opposite reaction. I stop at least once a day to tell someone that they're camped in a bad place, and all I usually get is "oh sorry ... thanks". Maybe Canadians are way too polite and wait until I've left to cuss me out. Or maybe I just smile nicely?.

Maybe the fact that I am in uniform makes the "The Man" and I automatically get disrespect.:confused:

Nope, Phil you're on target... the initial core issue was a 16 year old kid who apparently felt he was 'in control' simply because his board was still base-to-the-snow. My guess he had no margin left and any attempt on his part to turn would have meant a huge high speed wipe-out for him. I suspect rather than do the right thing and go down he opted to hit the lady.:(

I hope thru all of this he can now see things from a more mature perspective.

If he knew how to carve, i bet that lady would still be alive, too. I wonder if the run was crowded or if it was pretty much open except for him and the lady?

you know...when I was at Bachelor...ridin with Timinor...we were cuttin across a traverse run. Me behind him. He starts to pass "below" this chick, on her heelside...and somehow RIGHT as he does so she drops into a heel turn to catch a run down.

hits him...not hard...but she tumbles and he stops. She gets up so he keeps goin, turns down the next run over, and here she comes cutting across and starts cussing him out. I flipped. She NEVER even looked when she turned, SHE hit HIM from above, and somehow decided it was his "fault"

dumb bitch.

anyway...you are right...hit from above, usually aboves fault, but...man...its gotta be realized that stopping in the middle of a run..>ANY run...is just plain stupid!

D-Sub, I think the example above may indicate a lack of defensive driving in the attempt at passing (or there may be more to the story). Was there room to pass on the other side of the woman (her toeside where she would have seen him, and where she would be unlikely to turn)? Did he announce his presence/intent to pass (on your left)? How close was the pass? How far across the trail junction had she gone before she pulled the heelside turn? All of these need to be considered before I would deem her a dumb bitch.

It often takes two people doing something slightly unexpected to make a collision. Anticipating that the woman might turn down that trail would have avoided the problem. Of course, she should have checked before turning too.

It's kind of like riding a bicycle. You can get away for a long time riding too close to parked cars, but keep it up and eventually someone is going to open a door in your face. Likewise, in congested traffic, you can blithely pass a lot of cars on the right but if you are not anticipating the one that decides to turn into a driveway... :eek:

Honest-to-God, this happend to me at a place on Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I came down a run and made my way over to the lift. A collection of young punk boarders had flopped down right in front of the rope gate to the lift line, which was completely empty. There was absolutely no way to get to the lift unless someone got up and moved! WTF??? I had my rock board so I just plowed over them! IMHO they were trying to be gangsta.

Nothing pisses me off more than that. It happened to me one day up on the big burn at snowmass, these kids were just sitting in front of the entrance to the lift line area. Well, me being mr niceguy I let them know they were blocking the entrance, they mumbled an apology and moved.

Come a few runs later, and I came down and they were doing the same thing again!! I totally snowplowed a bunch of wet, spring snow on them and suffice to say, they were pissed. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when you are a moron twice in a row, I have no sympathy.

Nothing pisses me off more than that. It happened to me one day up on the big burn at snowmass, these kids were just sitting in front of the entrance to the lift line area. Well, me being mr niceguy I let them know they were blocking the entrance, they mumbled an apology and moved.

Come a few runs later, and I came down and they were doing the same thing again!! I totally snowplowed a bunch of wet, spring snow on them and suffice to say, they were pissed. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when you are a moron twice in a row, I have no sympathy.

once again, my peers embarass me on BOL. what's more amusing though is when they sit at the bottom of the steepest run on the mountain. At royal mountain, the very bottom of the "Royal" is probably the steepest area on the whole mountain. Immediately after that is the path between the lodge and the lift. for some reason, many riders decide to chill on the path right under the royal. It's also a favorite spot for skiiers and boarders to leave their gear, even when the racks 10 feet away are nearly empty. Needless to say, ive seen my share of gear get run over by out-of-control noobs thinking they can handle the run. Ive also seen 2 people get hit. sure, those guys probably shouldnt have been on the royal, but where is the logic in laying down on one of the most dangerous spots on the mountain?

I guess I probably shouldn't mention the fact that I typically shoot in the mid to low 80's and drive the ball 285 yards.:eplus2:

Considering this claim AND the pic you posted on that OT thread, I would say you are a HOT TEE! :eek:

I have easily driven golf balls out of every driving range I have ever hit at, but I suck at golf.

Actually, I picked this quote at random, but what the hey...

That's why they say, "Drive for show, putt for dough." Ever see a long drive contest on ESPN? Bunch of no-names who'll never get a tour card (in general), but they'll easily out drive any PGA golfer. Still impressive though.

Kinda like when you see me throw down a fully laid, making out with the snow, both hands molesting the corduroy (a la "Lifted"), front side turn on Corona at (H)Eldora and then skid turn my back side turn 'cause I just ain't got it on the steeps yet. :smashfrea

guy said he saw me the whole time but was just "mesmerized" by my carving. honest to god thats what he said. he pulled a HUGE yard sale, but was ok as was I.

That reminds me of a time 'bout 8 or 9 years ago... a friend and I were at Jackson Hole. She said she just wanted to ski behind me and watch while I carved. Sounds pretty simple, right? Halfway down the run (Casper, maybe), I see this pink flash from uphill as I'm coming around on my front/toe side turn and we hit hard. I figure we were both pushing 180 lbs and our closure rate was 25 to 35 mph. Ouch! So much for her staying behind me. She said the same thing, "I was just mesmerized". Of course, this all happened right under the lift too.

1.I just got finished with a week of trailering. I own a 25 foot long, 5000 lbs ultralight(yes it is light, most trailers push 7000 lbs and up)...attached to my 6600 lbs Expedition....

Yesterday, a guy in a Camry decided that me driving 60 during a rainstorm and getting passed by another truck was just too slow for him, so he drove BETWEEN us(me and the passing truck) and then-for good measure- decided to slam on his brakes 2 feet in front of me. I did brake just because I didn't want to hassle with a collision. I could have easily crushed him with my truck and, in TX, such a collison would have been his fault since he was baiting me. But I was the grown up

2. I had a complaint filed against me with the Texas Board of ME because a patient died while I was trying to get him transferred to a trauma hospital. He was 76, had a heart condition and a hip replacement, and was walking on his roof in cowboy boots when he fell 12 feet and shattered his pelvis. The complaint filed legally made me sound like a complete and utter idiot as most legal filings sound so the legal filing language used by the court doesn't surprise me. I find it interesting that the sentencing is expected to be the hightlight of the trial-is the video that damning that the rider's finding of guilt assured?

3. I never assume that skiers or other riders can stop as well as I...I also use a phrase commonly employed on long distance bike rides...we call out, "on your left" or "on your right" when we're passing other riders....I also slow behind other skiiers/riders(more often skiiers) to gauge their tempo before I try to pass them

I can't tell you how many skiiers/riders have said "thanks"...of course, this works best with no iPods, which is why I think no responsible person should ride with one(this is MY OPINION, BTW, so no flaming).

4. The phrase "nailing" should be reserved for vigorous sexual activity.

Ive also seen 2 people get hit. sure, those guys probably shouldnt have been on the royal, but where is the logic in laying down on one of the most dangerous spots on the mountain?

Isn't it obvious? It's sunny. That's why we have eejits who unstrap their gear, take off their jackets and t-shirts and sun themselves in the landing zone of the one big bump on a world-cup race-approved slope where I work. Lying down in the middle of the slope, and hidden by a bump that people take flat-out. Unsane. And yeah, they generally get arsey about me suggesting that it might be a good idea to move before they get killed.

As for the unibombers - that's why my knee is still giving me "gyp" even though it's July. Frankly they were lucky they fscked my knee up, because if I'd have caught them...

Simon

In the spirit of the phonetic alphabet, I propose a term used exclusively for jibbers who mainline the hill...

Much like "charlie foxtrot" and "whiskey tango"(white trash, as in, check out those whiskey tangos' rusty car collection in their front yard)

"foxtrot juliettes"....

Much more polite than what you want to say.....

I'd also like to see a rule that before they'll serve you alcohol on the mountain, you have to give up your ticket or pass. Does anyone else think it's crazy for ski lodge bars to serve people 3+ drinks at lunch knowing that they're going to go back on the slopes?

We actually have several bars ON the mountain that serve beer and wine. Not sure on the hard liqour, that may just be at the base area.

Not sure how crazy it is. Two times I have drank at the mountain: the first time I caught my edge on about the third turn and nearly whacked myself hard, The next time I was all loose and goofy and had a great time.

As long as they don't hit me. :smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea