Note to New Members ×

Do we want a forum for "Long Boarding"?

fin

Do we need a new forum for Long Board talk?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need a new forum for Long Board talk?

• Yes
    • No

We have noticed an increase in talk and interest about long boarding and slalom skateboarding on this forum lately. In our opinion it does fit into our scene as it is a great cross-over sport when the white stuff has melted.

So the question is do you think we should add a forum just for long board talk?

post-1-141842218329_thumb.jpg

I agree with skatha. we do pretty well talking about longboarding and the other fun summer stuff, then move it back to carving when the snow returns...no need for another forum.

As for your sig, obviously your complete post whoring nature caught up with you ;)

It's probably me, I deleted a few threads I started for lack of interest and others for the onset of flaming. I'm a lover not a fighter :o

I voted "yes" for two reasons:

1) Gives longboarders a place to talk about longboarding even during the season. Those who have to hop on a plane to carve but can longboard at home will probably appreciate this. Our southern-hemisphere members might also appreciate this.

2) Makes it easier to do a quick check for carving-related threads... since yeah, during the off season much of the talk is longboarding.

For the record I do longboard, although at a begintermiate* level.

*Thanks for the term, Sean C!

someone posted a topic recently making a point of it being Snow related. There are also some people (like me for instance) who longboard through the snow season as well (hey I live withing 5 miles of 2 concrete parks) though I'm sure there too aren't many of us :eplus2:

I am not a skateboarder/longboarder/carveboarder, so when I see a topic about long board, I think "180+ cm snowboard", only to realize it is about a long skateboard, not long snowboard.

So I vote yes.

And also, the description of the Carving Community forum is "This is the mother of all carve/hardboot/alpine snowboarding discusions", even if carving on asphalt is carving, it is not directly snowboard related (it can be indirectly).

did it ever occur to anyone that we can just move the longboard talk over to the "off topic" forum? Just move some threads over there and encourage people to post things that aren't snowboarding in that forum. It gets annoying when new forums are made for every little subcategory and common discussion.

I voted yes for the same reasons as Mike T, but I also have a few ideas of my own. I think that the "off topic" forum is good for anything goes kindof discussion, but it seems that there are many bomber purists who shun the OT forum, as evidenced by the low view counts and what not. Many times I'll come on and see like...20 people viewing the Carving Community, but only 2-3 looking at the Off Topic. A longboarding forum would help people who want to talk about longboarding, but don't want to risk being jumped in the CC, and don't want their thread to relegated to the OT forum. The Off Topic forum should be kept as an anything goes forum, and the Carving Community should be kept for winter-type snowy activities. I think perhaps a "Summer Community" forum might be best, a forum for people to talk about whatever they do during the summer, be it biking, hiking, kayaking, longboarding, golf, skydiving, or indoor curling.

And Skatha, I see from YOUR signature that you like mythbusters!

________

MARIJUANA TRICHOMES

I voted yes for the same reasons as Mike T, but I also have a few ideas of my own. I think that the "off topic" forum is good for anything goes kindof discussion, but it seems that there are many bomber purists who shun the OT forum, as evidenced by the low view counts and what not. Many times I'll come on and see like...20 people viewing the Carving Community, but only 2-3 looking at the Off Topic. A longboarding forum would help people who want to talk about longboarding, but don't want to risk being jumped in the CC, and don't want their thread to relegated to the OT forum. The Off Topic forum should be kept as an anything goes forum, and the Carving Community should be kept for winter-type snowy activities. I think perhaps a "Summer Community" forum might be best, a forum for people to talk about whatever they do during the summer, be it biking, hiking, kayaking, longboarding, golf, skydiving, or indoor curling.

And Skatha, I see from YOUR signature that you like mythbusters!

I think that if you encourage longboard talk to be put in the OT forum than you'll add some more traffic there instead of adding another too specific forum that in my oppinion will have just as little if not less traffic than the OT one does now. I think the off topic forum could easily be used as this "sumer community" forum, if people start posting in the OT forum instead of suggesting new forums then it might actually get some traffic

I think that if you encourage longboard talk to be put in the OT forum than you'll add some more traffic there instead of adding another too specific forum that in my oppinion will have just as little if not less traffic than the OT one does now. I think the off topic forum could easily be used as this "sumer community" forum, if people start posting in the OT forum instead of suggesting new forums then it might actually get some traffic

...nobody sugguested a new forum except for Fin...and he kinda like...you know...owns bomber.

________

Bmw n42

...nobody sugguested a new forum except for Fin...and he kinda like...you know...owns bomber.

I know that, you know what I mean. Instead of... voting yes on the poll I guess. He certainly can do whatever he wants with the forum but he asked our oppinions and I'm just sharing mine which is obviously, don't overexpand so to speak and clutter the boards with new forums that in my oppinion and from my experience on other forums people will never visit.

Longboarding to me involves long....snowboards

Dido, or atleast, when I'm visiting an obviously snowboaring-oriented forum.

I concur with the thought of just moving longboarding (pavement) post to the OT forum until everyone catches on and just posts them there to begin with.

DrCR

• 4 weeks later...

ralann,

Well, I agree, I think it is a good idea but seeing as it is now mid-summer I think what we'll do is wait to launch it next summer. That way we can promote in the late winter and get ready for Spring. In the mean time we'll just use the "Off Topic" for long boards.