ncermak

Have you had a board stolen  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a board stolen

• Yes...I never got it back
    • Yes...I got it back
    • No
    • I like to steal boards

Living and riding in Vancouver BC, my home hill of Cypress Mountain sees its fair share of board theft.

There are signs on every ski and board rack that warn people to lock their equipment up - OR IT WILL BE STOLEN.

When I go into the lodge for any length of time, I've gotten into the habit of locking my board inside the trunk of my car- I have a SAAB 900S, so it's not a big deal.

Otherwise, I do lock up my board on the rack, and make sure that I sit where I can see it at all times.

Sigh. Life in the big city.

Fortunately, no snowboards stolen to date. And I'm gonna try to keep it that way

Had a custom surfboard stolen a LONG time ago. It was taken from the back of my pick-up when I had my back turned for just a few minutes. Turned up a couple of years later. My name and serial # were scribed on the blank right next to the stringer which aided in me getting it back. I also kept the original bill of sale.

I definitely agree with what's been said here and other threads: Lock it, secure it, check it, whatever, the best you can and keep photos, serial #s and receipts.

I had a Burton M6 stolen at a resort in Wisconsin about 15 years ago, wasn't locked. The thief tried to sell it at a swap meet at my local shop and I recognized it and he got busted. Insurance had already paid me for it so I kept the money and upgraded to a PJ6 that I still have in the garage. I wish I still had the M6 too.

Early season , lots of snow, had all my gear in the truck. Parked it under bright street lights on a rise across the street from the expo center (where the ski and snowboards show was being held) It might has well been on one of those rotating auto dealer platforms! I was exiting the show at closing with a good friend and girlfriend with 3 brand new longboards over my shoulder. Look over and GONE! Numerous snowboards, skis, climbing gear, clothing etc, etc, etc. Truck was found ditched and stripped a few days later. Bummer.

I had a Burton M6 stolen at a resort in Wisconsin about 15 years ago, wasn't locked. The thief tried to sell it at a swap meet at my local shop and I recognized it and he got busted. Insurance had already paid me for it so I kept the money and upgraded to a PJ6 that I still have in the garage. I wish I still had the M6 too.

Derm. Blue and white? Fairly common, they pop up from time to time. You should be able to make that wish come true. I road them for a while too, right after my Lib-Tech inter-course kicked my butt one to many times. The crack in the skeleton's neck is no joke! It is there as a warning!

My first board, technically maybe not qualifies as stolen. Too short, too narrow, Morrow foam core. Left it against a snow bank in the parking lot, came back 30 mins later, gone. One of the best things that ever happened to my riding, as next set up was a Burton Air, Torques and Comps. Ultimatley decided my riding style and now here I am on plates. Bryan, BUMMER about your truck and all! :angryfire

A division 23 Marc morrisette snowboard. Old board that my sister was using last year and she loved it. Went to the bathroom and it was gone. The board was 7 years old and it was about to be retired as a bench for my basement. Everytime I go riding, I'm hoping to see the board under someone's feet.

Ernie

Pretty good results so far... I usually head to the hill with a board and skis. I stash one or the other somewhere convenient. Often I'll take a trashbag along to put the boots in to keep snow out. I loop a lock cable thru buckles, bindings.

This March my son and I were having a couple 'end of the day' beers at the outdoor snow bar at the base of Steamboat. Good rays, good tunes, good company. Then Joe says 'hey Dad, where's your board?' I'd left the board and hardboots at the top of the gondola, and they were close to shutting down! I should have just put out a sign HEY!! STEAL THIS COMPLETE SETUP

edit: I didn't feel like committing a 'CUI' violation (carving under influence) after retreving my gear so I did the right thing and rode the gondola back down. I'm no Bode! :nono:

There are signs on every ski and board rack that warn people to lock their equipment up - OR IT WILL BE STOLEN.

Does the sign really include "..OR IT WILL BE STOLEN"?

If so that seems to subtly imply to potential thieves that they are justified in stealing unlocked boards, and that the owners of those boards are somehow at fault.

Seems counterproductive to me.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't lock your board - I always do. Too many thieves around.

and I always thought I was the only one on the mountain ever locking my stuff. I don't know how much good it does 'cuz you could probably cut thru my cable with some toe nail clippers, but if figure if my board is just a little more difficult to steal than some one else's I'm that much better off.

Kinda like the two guys camping in the woods when a big grizzly wanders into their campsite. One guy immediately starts putting on his running shoes. The other guy says, "you idiot, you'll never out run a grizzly". The first guy says, "I don't have to outrun the grizzly. I just have to outrun you." -- HA!

I had my first board stolen at the end of the first day riding it (second day snowboarding). I went to the bathroom at the end of the day, I didn't lock it because I didn't know people locked their gear. Stupid me. Insurrance paid for it so I got a new one. I was a 1991 Burton Air that I bought used from a guy at school (and I overpaid for it). I the got a 1993 Burton Air with the new 3D bindings that just came out! I still have that board.

I had my first board stolen at the end of the first day riding it (second day snowboarding). I went to the bathroom at the end of the day, I didn't lock it because I didn't know people locked their gear. Stupid me. Insurrance paid for it so I got a new one. I was a 1991 Burton Air that I bought used from a guy at school (and I overpaid for it). I the got a 1993 Burton Air with the new 3D bindings that just came out! I still have that board.

thats defintly not a good way to a riding career. My friend's board was stolen when we went in to get lift tickets. On the video, it was some punk kids that were probably with a school group. It really ruined our night and defintly her season.

Luckily, I only had my mountain dew give a way skis that night because my Burton Winds were still getting stretched out.

Next season, I'll have an F2 with TD2s so I'll be defintly locking it up.

When I first started teaching at a local hill, I had a piece of crap board that I was riding, and old ride system. I walked out of the instructors lodge and found two kids walking towards the parking lot with it!! I was 17 at the time, and I flipped out on these two kids, who must have been around 15 or so. Suffice to say, one of the kids walked away with a bloody and broken looking nose from where I had hit him with my board.

I'm like a papa bear when someone is threatening my cubs. Or something like that.

Nothing of mine stolen (knock on wood) but a friend of mine who worked for the ski area this season told me that they have several boards reported stolen every day.

Standard procedure around here is to lean boards against racks while going into the lodge. It's crazy how many are just sitting out there ready to be carried off.

I'm surprised there isn't more vigilante activity with people leaving boards as bait and then beating the **** out of thieves. Or at least following them to their cars and reporting them.

Guest dragonsword5

Standard procedure around here is to lean boards against racks while going into the lodge. It's crazy how many are just sitting out there ready to be carried off.

Have you ever been to Shawnee Mountain on the days that they have the bus loads of kids. I was there once and there were so many ski's and boards just lying around that it was impossible not to step on anything. I wouldn't have been suprised if that stuff got stolen. This happened pretty much everyweekend with the bussing. They just leave their equipment on the ground (or throw it down and walk away).

When I first started teaching at a local hill, I had a piece of crap board that I was riding, and old ride system. I walked out of the instructors lodge and found two kids walking towards the parking lot with it!! I was 17 at the time, and I flipped out on these two kids, who must have been around 15 or so. Suffice to say, one of the kids walked away with a bloody and broken looking nose from where I had hit him with my board.

I'm like a papa bear when someone is threatening my cubs. Or something like that.

oh my god! it is my dream to do that!!! Just to catch someone in the act of stealing my board...

"Oh i thought it was mi..." (he wouldn't have time to finish that sentence):eplus2: