Note to New Members ×

Thirst Snowboard.. Purchase experience Excellent!!!

Shred Gruumer

Having traveled to Whitefish a few years ago (Very close to one of the most remote resorts in America) i can positively say it has left me with very good memories .If you can't see yourself taking the time to arrange your life to take advantage of opportunities to experience something like a carving session it saddens me. The fact that it's in a remote place is a bonus as  it enhances the opportunity to broaden your personal experiences. While mega resorts are easier to get to for me they don't offer the experience that smaller more remote locations do. Montucky Clear Cut seems very affordable considering the price of a lift ticket at a crowded mega resort. That extra expense of time required to get from an airport to Turner Mt seems to me to be a good investment in understanding people who want to live in places away from the crowded places most people live. The other interesting thing about Turner is how and why it even exists .You couldn't exactly call it a commercial enterprise but it exists because of the commitment and passion of people who see value in providing facilities for people who live in remote places. The fact they will share it speaks volumes of their character. You should be honored that they are willing to share it.   If your time is so expensive that you personally can't justify using it to travel to an event like Montucky Clear Cut please keep that fact to yourself. The people i have met at the few carving events i have attended were always willing to spend time to take a run have a discussion or share a tip and they never sent me a bill. They only shared their time.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, lowrider said:

If you can't see yourself taking the time to arrange your life to take advantage of opportunities to experience something like a carving session it saddens me.

You get saddened by how busy people are? Surely that can't be right...

On 4/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, Ladia said:

Thirst flex/sidecut seems to be designed to keep edge bite underfoot.  Slower initiation, 

this is so far the most important information for me I found about Thirst boards. I talk to Mark a couple times he seams to be really nice guy. My concern was the almost all reviews were written hard core Coilers rider. And you just love these boards or not. After surgery on my foot ....

My favorite boards in the past 8 or 9 years have been a Kessler 180, SG163frt, a stock 180 & and a custom 175 Donek Rev and 179 Coiler Revelation. Still have both the Revs (Coiler and Donek, and still love them both). So not a "hard core" Coiler rider. I had so much fun riding my 3 Thirsts all winter that I hardly rode my other boards, and when I did, I couldn't wait to get back on the Thirsts. 

"Edge bite" is ridiculously solid, it just never seems to let go.  I guess by "slow initiation" you mean it seems to get more solid as you tilt the board and put more pressure on it. Turn initiation however is nimble and quick. It took me a good part of the season to learn to trust these boards in all  conditions, doing things I may have hesitated to do before. They are different, but in a really good way.

Corey is the only person that I recall that didn't love a Thirst from the very first turns. And yes, he is a Coiler guy, but he rides an MK and a REV and.... He rode  the same demo Superconductor that I rode. When I offered to buy it from Mark he said he'd rather make a custom board specifically for me as that demo had an experimental flex profile and an unusually soft flex.The boards he eventually made for me were stiffer than that demo and had a more "normal" looking flex profile. In Corey's review last year he also rode Al's personal 185 8rw and liked it better, but I guess not totally smitten like many of us.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:47 PM, Ladia said:

I know but not everyone has time to get in the middle of nowhere. I was checking this winter and it was pretty much nightmare Wasting two days on travel something I can’t afford in current job. If this will be future carvers meeting place it will not make this sport more popular for sure. Close event in probably in one of the most remote resort in America.

Truth be told, the conditions were not great at MCC for evaluating the full potential of a carving stick. On the other hand,  I think everyone would say it was one of the best powder experiences of their life.

Did you ask Mark if he would send you a demo? I have no idea if he's willing to do that, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

Corey is the only person that I recall that didn't love a Thirst from the very first turns. And yes, he is a Coiler guy, but he rides an MK and a REV and.... He rode  the same demo Superconductor that I rode.

Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone else that didn't immediately fall in love with a Thirst.  I'd love to demo another when conditions warrant, and I need to focus on removing fore-aft weight shifts.  Was hoping to do that at MCC but I had to settle for epic powder days instead.  Poor me... 😉 

Full disclosure: I haven't ridden a Coiler Nirvana that I liked either.  While blowing smoke up Bruce's a** about how much I loved my EC for general carving, he told me the EC is based on a Nirvana core with tweaked sidecut and camber.  Oh.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2019 at 4:20 PM, bigwavedave said:

doing things I may have hesitated to do before. 

Making turns on steep shear ice [that smooth flat icy surface underneath the groom that is left exposed after the skiers and skidders scrap off the loose material] was new to me on a Superconductor. Actively riding the pitch again and again without hesitation expanded my range.

Is it all due to the board?   Probably not. I’ve made a lot of complementary improvements this season.

Would it have happened without the board? Not as soon.  I’ve hated ice since I lost an heel side edge on my M6 back in the 90’s which lead to my first helmet. I hadn’t aggressively ridden ice until I got the board. Loading the nose of a board on ice just wan’t a favorite thing to do. While my VCAM rails on ice, the soft nose and tail of the Superconductor arcs as soon as you put the board up on its edge and from there you are off to the races. But you have to ride it at the center. There have been more than a few times I caught myself loading the nose and had to correct myself in order to save the run.

• Like 1