Note to New Members ×

Powder surfing

Corran

Yes I know these boards. Very cool.

Still different from what I've done although they do have convex outlines, he has a lot less outside curve than I do. His has flat camber (or flat center section) and then kick ends is still much more reminiscent of a traditional snowboard than a surfboard. I know it's a great board. I'd stick it somewhere in the middle between what I'm doing and a traditional "surf inspired" snowboard shape. It still has some "traditional" concave to the outline in the very tail, and 4cm less overall width. You can see in the attached overlay image how different the shapes ultimately are.

Can you still get them?

Lots of cool stuff happening out there.

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 1.25.15 PM.png

16 hours ago, BlueB said:

I don't quite get the surf shapes in snowboarding... How often one gets to ride only bottomless powder? 

<Cough>

Well, ... but anyway, I'm something of a sceptic, as things people say should work in bottomless powder (BC, with trees for sport) don't generally work well there, from what I've seen. I did not expect things to be that way, but that way they are. 

The idea that I could rip the waves on something like my Dump Truck wearing huge plastic boots and clipping in is amusing. Oh, that's not what they mean - they want to do it the other way around?

No-boarding perhaps has some similarities, but I'm quite good at that and yet still quite bad at surfing. Should surf boards be adapted to be more like snowboards, so I can just get up and go? It sounds like marketing to me.

In the early days of snowboarding it was called "le surf" in France... that didn't mean we had to paddle up.

Pow drives one quite Mad, anything will do...every board from the Elite, Supermodel, Malolo, Land Lords, Flight Attendant has been better in the Pow...But even the Elite years ago, in Bottomless with Pitch, was a great surf stick...Surf Style is in our Minds, you cannot buy a stick that produces that somehow ...

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 10:19 PM, BlueB said:

I don't quite get the surf shapes in snowboarding... How often one gets to ride only bottomless powder? 

It’s a niche markwt

foe sure. But there are plenty of people who hike, cat, or heli into powder and for this a true surfboard shape is a game changer 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:59 AM, Mig said:

Some surfboard shapers are now offering snowboard influenced designs, with sidecut and some tail flex to power out of turns... 🙂

http://www.mackiesurfboards.com.au/boards/sidecut-fish/

Yes this is the normal way to go. Almost all the boards in our lineup are likw this. Surf influenced but still snowboards in that they have sidecut, camber etc.  This for most people most of the time is the way to go. 

But if youre in deep powder and really want to SURF, you need a surfboard. 

4 hours ago, Corran said:

But there are plenty of people who hike, cat, or heli into powder and for this a true surfboard shape is a game changer 

But if youre in deep powder and really want to SURF, you need a surfboard. 

I never went heli, @philw is the most qualified to talk about that, but I could imagine that one could find deep pow only, on a good day... 

When I went on a cat, I definitely needed a board that performed on other stuff too. Even more would be true for hikes... 

Why do you have the binding inserts on the surfboard? 

Edited by BlueB

Yeah well, try driving for 1.5hours on a picturesque beautiful highway, getting to the most amazing beach, putting on the wetsuit, getting pumped up, sunscreen on my bald head, getting the surf board and heroically jogging to the beach, paddling out into the paradise of surf ... and realising the waves are crap for the day... errrr...

Actually, scrap that, see you at the mountain instead  :biggthump:1luvu:

Edited by daveo
  • Like 3

On 12/8/2018 at 3:56 PM, BlueB said:

I never went heli, @philw is the most qualified to talk about that, but I could imagine that one could find deep pow only, on a good day... 

When I went on a cat, I definitely needed a board that performed on other stuff too. Even more would be true for hikes... 

Why do you have the binding inserts on the surfboard? 

There are plenty of places where a surf shape will be awesome fun, but you're going to need it to at least be able to "get through" mixed terrain. For that you'll need bindings. So you have the option of studs and ride no bindings, or throw bindings on.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:23 AM, daveo said:

As good as water surfing

Different but the same. The reason snow surfing doesn't look as good to you is because it doesn't look the same, and this is because a board with sidecut is going to turn differently than one with convex curve. Don't get me wrong - concave sidecut is the way to go for most people most of the time... no question. But if you're the sort of person that has a quiver and you're happy to grab a board a few times a year for specific conditions... then a board that will literally turn on snow like a wave is pretty fun.

I've added a less traditional graphic option too: Snow_Wave_Graphic_1024x1024.png?v=154446