Note to New Members ×

GS board recommendaton

patmoore

My 178 cm SG GS board is 14 years old and I think I'm due for an upgrade.  Surprisingly the bride is in favor of it with the understanding that this will likely be the last new board I'll ever get.  I'm looking for recommendations.  For those that don't know me, I'm a NASTAR junkie and have run the program at Okemo since 2006.  I race on skis and board and have won the NASTAR Nationals on skis once and on the board twelve times.  I've been ranked #1 Nationally in my age group every year for the past dozen or so years.  I'm 71 years old, 5'8" and 165 lb.  

The GS boards that keep coming to mind are Kessler, SG, and the Donek Rev.  I'm thinking of going a little shorter (172 cm?). I don't use a riser plate but would give some thought to doing so if there would be a discernible difference in performance.  I ride in Head Stratos Pros (28.5 mondo) that have been softened to provide more forward flex.  Bindings are F2 Race. I have severe arthritis in my right knee but I'm getting a replacement in May.

Looking forward to your recommendations!

413810033.jpg

Edited by patmoore

Have you ridden a Kessler? 

I've got a 185 with an early Apex plate... it's older, the edges are thinning... it's got a little damage in the tail... it's the standard width which makes me run higher angles than I like...  I don't ride it a lot.  

Best race board I've ever ridden and I've ridden old exotic race boards, REVs, F2s, and Coilers.  Not best by a little...best by a lot.  If I was racing for cash tomorrow you better believe that board would be under my feet.

Get a custom Kessler... don't even hesitate... ride it into your very own sunset.

BTW, you kick ass... keep it up!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks folks.  I was able to acquire a 171 Kessler in very nice condition.  I raced on it at the Vertical Challenge Finals and won my age group on both the board and skis.  I'm getting a new knee on 5/16 and I'm really looking forward to next season.

413852203.jpg

• Like 3

I rode my Madd on Friday and think that will be a wrap for this season.  Heading for the UK Tuesday to meet my new Granddaughter.  It was a very good season.  

Season recap (all within my age group except the Overall Club Championship}.  I think I'm outliving my competition....
CT Senior Games
1st GS - Skis
1st Downhill - Skis
1st GS - Snowboard
1st Downhill - Snowboard

MA Senior Olympics
1st GS - Skis
1st Super G - Snowboard
1st GS - Snowboard
3rd Super G - Skis

NASTAR Eastern Championships
2nd GS - Skis
1st GS - Snowboard

NASTAR Nationals
1st Slalom - Snowboard
2nd GS - Skis (Platinum Division)
4th - Family Race
1st GS - Snowboard

Vertical Challenge Finals
1st GS - Snowboard
1st GS - Skis

Mt. Laurel Club Race
Oldest Club Champion in Club History

And I'm most proud of my grandsons:
NASTAR Nationals
4th - Family Race
Ryan - 3rd GS - Skis
Archie - 1st GS - Skis and 2nd overall Race of Champions
Lauchie - 1st GS - Skis and 1st GS - Snowboard

The wife okayed my idea to display the overall collection.

413852651.jpg

Getting a new knee 5/16. Looking forward to next year!

Now on to golf......

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Pat, 

Have you read all the reviews on the thirst 8R-W? Hands down carver / racer, unrivaled edge hold and faster than anything out there...and hand made right here inda USofA. I'll even let you demo mine next fall. Mark Miller has just procured some high carbon base material to take the 8R from freaking fast to "OMFG", seriously need to check out what Mark is doing...next generation!

On 5/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, Algunderfoot said:

Pat, 

Have you read all the reviews on the thirst 8R-W? Hands down carver / racer, unrivaled edge hold and faster than anything out there...and hand made right here inda USofA. I'll even let you demo mine next fall. Mark Miller has just procured some high carbon base material to take the 8R from freaking fast to "OMFG", seriously need to check out what Mark is doing...next generation!

Sounds like a blast but the child bride (she's only 65) will put her foot down on my acquiring an eleventh board for my quiver.  I did pick up a very nice Kessler and can't wait for next season.

• 3 months later...

Post TKR update.  Got the new knee on 5/16 and resumed golf four weeks later. Just had a 3 month visit with the Ortho and he cleared me for racing this winter.  Can't wait to get on the Kessler!

Two weeks after the surgery I found a new use for the walker....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Twisted the OTHER KNEE two weeks ago.  Think I have some torn cartilage.  Seeing the Ortho this morning.  Maybe I should request volume discounts.  If I have to go in for another tuneup, it'll be a total of seven knee operations.  Good thing I'm getting younger.....

Update: the Doc says I just scraped the cartilage.  It should be fine by racing season.

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had excellent experiences with both Rabanser snowboards and Kessler.   I ride a few Rabaners: a race-Line 180 with fire-plate and Carve CC bindings (strikingly similar to Ibex +burton race plates) and an older dragon-line 175..both great boards and they excel on hard snow.   I  also ride a Kessler Alpine 180 with gecko plates and Carve CCs at that has been a fantastic setup.   Its light and works great everywhere especially when the snow gets a bit softer/crudded up.   

• Like 1