Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2017/2018

rwmaron

Let's see...Sunday...

Temps start out below zero (cold enough to discourage many), but It will sunny.

2-3" new snow on Saturday will refresh slopes, but it's superbowl Sunday so many will not come out and play (it used to be better when they had the game earlier in the day).

Races will likely occupy Gandy and Blue Ruin, but that means that Spirit will be less likely to close for the cold weather like they did yesterday and today.

That sounds like a recipe for a good Minnesota carving day!:biggthump

On 2/2/2018 at 1:33 PM, bigwavedave said:

Spirit will be less likely to close for the cold weather like they did yesterday and today.

Nevermind:mad:!

Yup, quoting myself.

Spirit reducing hours to 12-5 tomorrow!! The only ski area in the region to routinely shorten hours or close when it's cold?:confused: 

First "normal" winter in years too.

Edited by bigwavedave

Sunday, February 4

Another day of bitterly cold windchills but the sun was bright, the crowd was sparse, and the groom was firm and grippy and fast. The only downside was the Express Lift’s slower than normal speed (so the Fat Bikes could be unloaded). Ken says he smiled for this photo but you couldn’t prove it by me.

6E003383-5880-4E46-B504-5587A4587BC9.jpeg

• Like 1

Rode with Russ from opening and Ken showed up for a few runs. Another chilly (face masks and hand warmers) day with a bit of wind. We could use some new snow, the ice base has appeared under a surface groom!:ph34r: A little rough on the knees later in the day as things got scraped down, but it was nice early.

:biggthumpSome of the first tracks...

5a80d0516d93f_tracks021118(2).JPG.b4aef537bd1d04e272a2dd06c78642e0.JPG5a80eaf411670_tracks021118(3).JPG.2b4f4852e08e7628cf8138a05d485497.JPG

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

Ahhh, the dreaded "surface groom with an ice base" or just plain crusty hard groom most everywhere.:mad: Yet, we had a full complement of carvers on the chair today─4 riders riding mostly 4 pipe where the most carvable snow was found.  Sun with a brisk wind. Really need some snow and it looks like it's on it's way.:biggthump

• Like 1

Lonbordin Dave convinced me to come ride Spirit Mountain.  I kept saying no, but he persisted.  Ok, not really; I just want to check out another hill and ride with some others!  

I'll be there to ride Mar 15-17, driving home Mar 18.  Anyone else around then?  If weather turns bad (warm), I can cancel up to 3 days in advance.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Corey said:

Lonbordin Dave convinced me to come ride Spirit Mountain.  I kept saying no, but he persisted.

I'm an a55h*le. :ices_ange I even insisted on him staying a hotel when he could've stayed with us.  

@bobble maybe some of those twin city studs can come up? Make Spirit all crowded, LOL!

Edited by lonbordin
I can still call myself names, right? ?

3 minutes ago, bobble said:

@lonbordin i'll forward the message.

is everyone staying in canal park?

what's the snow situation in march? 

I'm staying down in a house with my family near the Spirit Lake Marina.

If I did this link right it should take you to March of last year... Gratuitous groom photo below.  The crowds are murder. :ices_ange

58c9bb58e346a_IMG_1367(800x792).jpg.e486

Ha! After seeing your post about crappy snow at your local hill, I was wondering if you might think about coming down here! We've been having an almost "normal" winter with very little thawing and a large dose of cold. We are now in a snowy pattern for the next week and just had a foot of new snow across northern Minnesota. We currently have a better base of snow than recent years.

...And you guys should really consider a mid week excursion over to Indianhead in the U.P. @Algunderfoot's local hill, about 2 hrs east of Duluth. In my opinion the best carving slopes in the midwest and it's in the "lake effect" snow belt, so usually the best snow, and Cory can get his fix of carving wide open steeps there. Heck, Al might even let you demo that Thirst Superconductor!

I'm going up to Spirit tomorrow, and Giant's Ridge Friday with @rwmaron .

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 2

Wednesday, February 21

Bright sun, generally sweet groom with a few soft spots, and the usual thin mid-week crowd (despite the fact that the local schools are off this week). khoward, Jolson, and patroller Don all made appearances as well. I predict that Thursday will be stellar.

C01B16AB-2BAB-4C6A-BAEE-A4AD0B8DE39A.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rwmaron said:

Wednesday, February 21

Bright sun, generally sweet groom with a few soft spots, and the usual thin mid-week crowd (despite the fact that the local schools are off this week). khoward, Jolson, and patroller Don all made appearances as well. I predict that Thursday will be stellar.

Man, I was hoping someone got after it today!:1luvu:

...and hopefully we won't see that ice base for a while:eek:.

Looking forward to tomorrow at Spirit:biggthump

...and then Thursday night snow to provide some fresh tracks for Friday at G.R.:eplus2:

17 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

...And you guys should really consider a mid week excursion over to Indianhead in the U.P. @Algunderfoot's local hill, about 2 hrs east of Duluth. In my opinion the best carving slopes in the midwest and it's in the "lake effect" snow belt, so usually the best snow, and Cory can get his fix of carving wide open steeps there. Heck, Al might even let you demo that Thirst Superconductor!

You're that enabler friend, aren't you?  "Sure, that Corvette might be fun but for only $XXXX more you can have this eBay Ferrari with questionable history!"   LOL!  ;) 

So of course I looked it over.  That would make for a 9-hour drive from home to Indianhead, vs. the 6.5 from home to Spirit.  Yeesh.  That makes it less appealing, unless Indianhead really is that much better.  Still thinking...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Corey said:

You're that enabler friend, aren't you?  "Sure, that Corvette might be fun but for only $XXXX more you can have this eBay Ferrari with questionable history!"   LOL!  ;) 

So of course I looked it over.  That would make for a 9-hour drive from home to Indianhead, vs. the 6.5 from home to Spirit.  Yeesh.  That makes it less appealing, unless Indianhead really is that much better.  Still thinking...

Yea, I was just saying you could do a day trip to Indianhead from wherever your staying in Duluth, although I see that you're just here for a 3 days...so, just an idea if you decide you want to see some different terrain after a day at Spirit. I think it's worth it.

3rd day groom after a foot of snow:1luvu: rode everywhere today. Gandy Dancer & Blue Ruin:biggthump2-4" trenches. The first few of many...

5a8f9e099a8d4_Tracks022218.JPG.5c1d203af5190350c31405269b5d1ba3.JPG5a8f9e12a9a5a_Tracks022218(2).JPG.7e1794a1be3ea09b4a35cf570f475c8a.JPG

...and it's snowing hard now, NE wind producing lake effect in Duluth, 5-9" forecast:1luvu:Looks like it's back to Spirit tomorrow:biggthump

Rode with @khoward for first 2 hours in bright sun and stayed til about 3pm with filtered sun as the next storm approaches.

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

6-9" deep powder. Runs were groomed overnight during storm. They apparently groom the Gandy side first because the snow was deepest there (about boot high).:1luvu: We ( @rwmaron  and I) were the second & 3rd set of tracks on Blue Ruin, riding 180cm Inclines with hardboots. :biggthumpSky Hooker was pretty deep too.

We worked our way back over to the 4pipe side and found @khoward over there. Center of 4pipe was groomed early this morning with about 4" fresh left on the sides.  This photo taken there after my first run about ½hr before opening.

5023BB20-29BB-46DD-BADA-F6C44E6AA1E9.thumb.jpeg.e6c89f53b50b6046eacc24756605c13c.jpeg

Rode til about 3pm. Things got pretty tracked out by noon and the going was rough on the legs, but bright sun and warmth made us keep going. Had to keep the board way up on edge with quick transitions to slice through the push piles without getting bounced to death. My legs were cramping :eek: on the 2hr drive home, had to stop and walk it out.:cool:

Edited by bigwavedave