Note to New Members ×

Big Sky 15-16

ExcelsiorTheFathead

Wow 16 inches is much more than the couple we got on our summits.  

The link tells of NOAA predicting a Godzilla El Nino for Big Sky.  I wish!!  As has been posted in other threads here, NOAA predicts a bad winter for Big Sky.  Good for NM, Arizona, but bad for Montana and Eastern Idaho (where I am).  Bummer! 

Bad predictions aside....the report of 16 inches this early is certainly hopeful and I hope NOAA is wrong!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jerry, that's good news.  My left knee has been feeling a little strained, so I will start trying to strengthen it up before the season starts.  I have a pretty decent pad over here that has a fairly high index of crashability.

After I signed the lease for my apartment I arranged to rent a van the next day and drove down to Belgrade to get my stuff out of storage.  It had been sitting there since April 29th when i drove out of Sun Valley.  I wasn't sure if the van would be big enough, but everything fit with ease.  Knowing that everything I own will fit into a van somehow makes me feel better about how useless much of it is.

Big Sky has the tightest rental housing market that i have seen so far.  I was lucky to get anything.  Of the few rentals that have come available, many require year-long leases that I can't do.  The resort has to put up many of their employees in hotels ranging from West Yellowstone to Bozeman, sometimes with problems.  Craigslist has regular scam postings where someone tries to steal your personal information under the guise of doing a credit check.

Today I drove around the resort area and was impressed with how expansive it is.  Big Sky claims to have 5750 skiable acres, making it the largest ski area in the US.  There used to be 3 different ski areas here, but Big Sky bought out the former neighbors Spanish Peaks and Moonlight Basin.  Much of the real high elevation terrain up on Lone Mountain is all ungroomed black and double black stuff, and I think it unlikely that I will ever go up there.

The 16" of snow that fell in September is all gone.

20151012 141114

Lifts near the Madison base area.

20151012 145203

Looking up Ramcharger from Mountain Village.

20151012 154340

Only recently did I learn that the private Yellowstone Club was located immediately adjacent to Big Sky and have shared borders.  If someone ever struck a deal to create some kind of Super Ticket that would allow use of the Yellowstone Club's private ski area, that would make the biggest resort even bigger.

There is only one (really expensive) supermarket for all of Big Sky and The Yellowstone Club, so I am waiting to see if there will be any good celebrity sightings there.

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

Whister Blackcomb is much larger at over 8,000 acres, but I think that place is way too crowded, particularly on weekends.  It is also a bit lower in elevation and suffers from the common maladies of Cascade weather flows.

Big Sky is far from large population centers and Bozeman locals can go to Bridger Bowl. 

I just did some looking around and found that there is a photography outfit here that does action shots on the hill.  Maybe there will be some good camera whoring this season?

proof

Looks like I'll have to put up with spending another winter here.  What the films don't show is the off piste.  That's the big draw, along with no lift lines.  On one of the big powder days I managed to get in 21K feet in 2 hours.  All of it in fresh tracks except for the run out.  Everyone went for the Tram, and left the other ungroomed runs vacant.   Look me up when you come out.

Looks like I'll have to put up with spending another winter here.  What the films don't show is the off piste.  That's the big draw, along with no lift lines.  On one of the big powder days I managed to get in 21K feet in 2 hours.  All of it in fresh tracks except for the run out.  Everyone went for the Tram, and left the other ungroomed runs vacant.   Look me up when you come out.

You guys are killing me!!   This sounds so good after Mt Hood's crappy past season.   I was hoping you would chime in Bumpyride.   I think Art has found Meca by the sound of it!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Big Sky offers some great carving, but it doesn't seem like there are many local carvers.  You'll be explaining your equipment to a lot of people. 

The place is huge, but some some of the best carving is close to the village, right off the Ramcharger lift.  It services some nice wide runs with good carving pitches.  Lone Mountain has plenty of fun, scenic bowls for power days, but Andecite Mountain has the best carving runs in my experience.

Even with a blown shoulder and sketchy prospects for the rest of my riding season, I still bought a Sky Card in hopes of being healed in time for their closing weekend.  It's become sort of a tradition since they are always open longer than our local hill in Whitefish.  See you in April!

Last year's highlight reel video is here:

Thanks for the info, and I hope things heal well.  There's a little bit of snow up high now, and we should get some more over the next several days.  Once the temperatures get low enough I suppose they will crank up the snowmaking guns. 

December 4 is $20 day.

On December 11, donate a frozen turkey or 20 cans of food for a lift ticket.

December 19 is Educator Appreciation Weekend.

• Like 1

Yup.  I had to shovel well over a foot out of the driveway between yesterday and today, and I live well below the resort.  I don't think that the resort has started to make snow yet, but it has to begin soon.  (Edit: a close look at the webcam image seems to show guns running?)

Resort webcam still from this morning.

post-304704-0-36194600-1446659580.txt

ACK!  I just got this email from the resort at 6AM.  Not much advance warning, but there will be at least one early day of riding!  I haven't even carpet carved yet this season, and now I have to rush to get one board set up.

Exciting news! With the 30" of snow Mother Nature brought us this week and our snow making efforts, Big Sky Resort has decided to temporarily open Saturday, November 7, 2015 from 10am-4pm.  Skiers and riders will awaken their ski legs on the famous Mr. K run accessed off of the Swift Current  and Explorer chair lifts.

Lift ticket pricing for this one day only will be $49.00 for adults, $39.00 for Junior, senior, and college students and $19.00 for youth.

Sky Card holders will receive $5 off their appropriate age group.

The Mountain Services Office will open at 8:30am. Limited amenities will be open.

Early season conditions do exist, please ski and snowboard with caution.

Join us and get your early turns Saturday, as there are 19 days until to our official season opening day on Thursday, November 26th, Thanksgiving Day.

See you on the slopes.