Note to New Members ×

Big Sky 15-16

ExcelsiorTheFathead

I am not a Hawai'ian, Bumpy, but what I call a local haole.  Went to high school and college there a LOOOOONG time ago!  Met Alberta and Garrett in '09 at OES at Bachelor and the rest is history :biggthump   Good to meet and ride with you today!

Very cool CONNECTION!!!  Love to hear about how alpine riders have met at events,  changing the course of their personal history!! I think I was there :) 

• Like 1

Good find Art, thanks for posting that. I have to believe it's yellowstone management not the individual owners.  Management usually goes for low bid to pump up profits.  I have to believe that the property value has plummeted near the holding pond.  Penny wise.

Monday 3/7, Day 53:  5-6" of new snow in the last 24 hours.  Today is mostly sunny with mild temps.  Because of the new snow I am riding the Coda and met up with Icebiker & Son at open.  Ramcharger was initially shut down because of some minor problem so I just followed Greg around.  I guess that the warm temps over the weekend caused some melt because we could feel varying amounts of crunch under the snow.  We did some runs in the Swifty/Triple area then went around to the Moonlight side to see if there was less crunch.  Not bad.  I left at 12.  Those guys will probably ride all day.

Edit: Part of the crunch might be from rain.  I think that it rained on much of the lower resort for a while yesterday afternoon until it got cold enough to turn to snow.

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead
  • Like 2

0307161001a_zps9zro96sl.jpg

Hey Art, great riding without you today. Thanks for showing us around. We did more of moonlight then broke for lunch at Headwaters. Then hit the tram up to Lone. View was unreal, but the ride down liberty bowl was tough. We're knackered! Glad I had the Yukon today. The Axxess comes out to play tomorrow.

• Like 1

Was a fabulous morning start.  Got several untouched runs first thing off of Ram Charger.  Big Horn skiers right on the bottom in the trees stayed fresh track for several runs.  Ambush meadows was good at the bottom, but crispy on the top after a couple of runs.  Tango Trees was a pleasure also.  Glades off Southern Comfort were the fastest I've seen this year.  El Dorado dictated No sharp turns or you were scraping bottom even with the 4" of light.  Had to pretty much scream down the hill with careful weight shifts to get that real float feeling.  Bumps were in great shape. Very very fast.  T-boned a tree, but no damage.  Had to end at noon for business, but with more snow expected tonight am looking forward to first tracks again.

• Like 1

Tuesday 3/8, Day 54: Out at open with Icebiker.  No new overnight and temps are in the 20s.  Grooming helped a lot and most of the runs are smooth now with just a little firm crunchiness.  Carveable but it could be better.  El Dorado was ungroomed so we did Calamity Jane, Mr K and Deep South mostly.  Snow started falling from before 10 and by Noon it was dumping pretty good.  I left after getting a $3 slice of pizza. 

4PM Snowfall.  Groom, Baby Groom!

post-304704-0-90320300-1457478828.txt:

David on Calamity Jane.
post-304704-0-07512900-1457490046_thumb.

• Like 1

As Art said, morning was ok but groomed runs were a bit hardpack. That didn't stop him from railing tippy's on the way to lunch. He slayed that slope while i fishtailed my way down. Snow came down fast from lunch on. Put the Donek away and broke out the Yukon again and headed to moonlight.We were cuff-deep in many spots. Amazing day.

• Like 1

Wednesday 3/9, Day 55:  All of the 4-6" of new fell yesterday afternoon so it is all groomed in.  With temps below freezing the whole time, I'm hoping for the best.  I'll be heading straight for El Dorado at open.

...So El Dorado wasn't good.  It sure looked nice but underneath the pure groom were lumps and waves from yesterday.  Sacajawea was much better since it had already been groomed when the snow fell on it.   I did a few runs with Bumpy until he and the Mrs went to find some "real" terrain.  On the way out, Tippy's was smooth and firm with some loose snow on it.  I left around 10:50.

• Like 1

Thursday 3/10, Day 56:  All of SoCo is ungroomed, so I'll probably ride Swifty first then consider Ramcharger or TWolf trails. 

So we started on Mr. K then did a few on Calamity Jane.  Trace to 1" of new today.  The base area feels pretty warm but it is breezy and cooler higher up.  The snow is pretty good for carving everywhere, maybe a little on the soft side.  After a while we went over and did Elk Park Meadows then Ambush with good results.  I left around 11:30.

• Like 1

Friday 3/11, Day 57:  1-3" of wettish new overnight and temps around 30F.  The cloud deck is low and even the top of Andesite is in heavy fog with snow sprinkles.  On snow at 11 AM.  Not horrible but not good.  The whole resort is like a vomitorium at an all-you-can-eat Mashed Potatoes Buffet-o-Rama.  I did one run each down El Dorado, Ambush, and Mr. K then left.  It is good for something, but not carving.

Sorry we didn't connect today Art. Very nice powder up top lone peak triple way and as far down as just past lone tree triple (meriweather). But shortly below that it was like a switch was turned off and snow was like a wet bathroom mat. Headed home tomorrow. Had a great time and was great riding with you. Let's see what next year brings.

Edited by icebiker

Saturday 3/12, Day 58:  Temps around 30F at open, cloudy and a little windy.  Ordinarily I wouldn't ride on a Saturday but the next 4 days are filled with crappy weather (and hopefully a foot of snow).  This morning the groomers are full-on thaw-freeze.  The mush from yesterday was groomed nicely, but it all set up pretty darn firmy firm.  El Dorado was a little unpleasant.  The top of Ambush was nice but the steeper middle was not.  I blew out a toeside and went for a long slide on my belly.  Mr. K was kinda tolerable since it was tilled just before open.  Out at 10:30.

Sunday 3/13, Day 59:  On snow at 9:20 just in time for a brief snowstorm.  Trace to 1" overnight, temps in the high 20s, windy and cold.  Hard groom on El Dorado, hard skitch on Ambush, cookie crunch on lower Mr. K.  Out at 10:20.  I think that there are only 35 days remaining before Big Sky closes, so it will be impossible for me to get 100 days this season.  Boy, what happened to me?