Note to New Members ×

touching snow is a big no-no .... why?

Przemek/Brooklyn

What is up with "touching snow is a big no-no"

why would you say this?

Is this some kind of american carving school "rule".

I learn to carve in europe and we never have problem with it. As long as you ride on the edge it was cool, it is fun to be as close to snow as it possible when you go fast and your face is 5 inches above snow level. You attack the snow and embrece it in the same time.

I can ride with contact or without, but if you go very low full contact feels very natural.

So why not to touch it ?

I think the main reason is inclination. When you are not close to the snow, and you're reaching to touch the snow, you are likely to dip your inside shoulder and incline. This pulls your center of gravity away from the edge, thus making you more likely to slide out.

-Gord

All the above is true but let me add one more thing, I was riding @ Snow Summit last week with goodboytyler and I was letting my hand slide across the snow. I was deep into a toeside carve when my hand sunk into a pile of soft, wet snow. It spun me around backwards and now I was heading for the edge of the run. I finally got control and was able to stop before disappearing over the edge. It screwed up my rotator cuff also.

NOw, I keep my hands off the snow!!!

:lol: :lol: Not in your avatar!

The saturday following ses I was coming across the hill on a toeside and the snow came to me. My hand hit one of my old trenches, and spun me out of my turn. My hand still hurts a month and a half later

mario

As many have mentioned on this and other threads, touching the snow is not the issue. When you rip a carved turn at speed, you must incline into the turn. The faster and tighter the turn, the greater the inclination. When you're blasting arcs at speed, this will result in the "snow coming to you."

sncsir.jpg

Reaching for the snow (where touching the snow is the focus) can be problematic, as it can result in bending at the waist, which does not put you in a good position to effectively adjust edge angle, steer the board, or to manage forces in a turn. IMO it doesn't look so hot, either.

sncj83.jpg

a GREAT set of shots b/c it illustrates the problem directly. Przemek, in the top shot, look at his waist - he is angulating AWAY from the snow surface (body curling upward with right chest stretched out, left chest compressed), which keeps pressure on the edge, allowing the board to be higher on edge. In the bottom shot, he is 'breaking at the waist' with upper body angulating TOWARDS snow which leads to less pressure on edge, and less ability to get edge up high without sliding out.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Isn't this what sets us apart?? I got a pic of full body down and both hands, arms, etc on the snow at Park City last week. The board is 90 deg to the snow. I can do this at speed all day long. Gotta work on the heel side however. Something to work on! It's called improvement. The guys that I have boarded with, Terry English, Doug Dryer, Ray Schriner, Chris Webster do this rail to rail all day long. Again this is what makes us different, and why everyone on the hill stops and watches. My 2 cents?? Oh yea, Who does ice on purpose? I won't go near it, you can get hurt!!

Tim youre missing the point though

you do not look like the pic that was posted. Your form is good. very good, it seems

but when someone starts out reaching for the snow, thinking theyre trying to "EC" it is not a good habit

I never saw dryer do linked laid out turns...seemed to have more of a race style to me (not detracting)

touching the snow definitely increases chance of injury, as well. Ive had instances like mentioned

heh...just to stir things up a bit, Id say that "full body, arms dragging" is SLIDING, anyway. Sure, youre still carving, but...

;)

anyone ever try to see how inclinated they can get without touching?

omg thats insane! Thats my dream to get form like that.

Ive heard of so many stories of people catching their hands on something unconsistant in the snow. Its an injury that can last a lifetime. Also, i learned the difference between reaching for the snow and kind of "sliding" across it. I don't think i ever did that I looked like the picture of the guy reaching because my shoulders would pop out of place. Wrestling injuries...

he needs to be crouched to keep pressure on his edge. If you run fast speeds on a steeper pitch, and you stiff leg it, you will kick out easily. if you crouch down and get closer to your board, you have way more control and you can ride it like a train untill you want to change edges.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Dave: You are right about bending down to touch the snow. The last time I rode with Doug, he said he needed 2 hours with me to fix my heel side to lay out? That was in Aspen the day before I was hit from behind! I try to remember to do the gun fighter stance. Hands at your side all the way thru the turns linked down the run. This is fun and hard to do on steeper runs. When my wife is with me, she coaches me on my body position, ie. don't bend over to put hands on the snow. I will post a pic at Park City last week when I get it for everyone to take a shot at. That's if I can figure out how to post it??? Oh, Did you guys ever see the pic of Doug doing the AD for Kahala shirts in a surf mag?

All of this coments make a lot of sense to me.

More i think i came to conclusion that you konw your position is right when your hip is touching the snow.... Funny think is that i do that better on hillside (i can tell becouse of bruise hip and rip of pants) only recently after i moved to wider board with bigger radius i feel my hip on front side (it has something to do with

angles of my boots most likely)

quote:

"heh...just to stir things up a bit, Id say that "full body, arms dragging" is SLIDING, anyway. Sure, youre still carving, but..."

But what ?

calling EC sliding is kind of inapropriate. In order to do this in link turns you still need to put down carving edge.

Well, it is "free carving" after all and full snow contact is extreme fun.

Of course this racing guy is trained not to do it so he would not slow down.

When i race i dont touch snow as well.

Guest Tim Tuthill

You guys that surf will know this name, Renny Yater. When he saw the AD he really thought it was great. A big bottom turn at Sunset beach in Hawaii. If you have not ridden Sunset at 10 feet I can't convey what is going on. This is still the main event in surfing.