Note to New Members ×

touching snow is a big no-no .... why?

Przemek/Brooklyn

yes, the board is on edge, but your body parts are supporting the turn.

No they're not. If they were, you'd dislocate your shoulder and break your wrists immediately. Does your hip support your turn in a heelside turn when it touches the snow?

flamethrowingsmiley.gif Your body parts are supporting the turn? What does that mean?

By thay logic, you could keep turning even if you lifted your edge while laid out.

In any turn, the board / edge is always the base of support.

The "low" opinion held by some of the laid / EC style is weak. An edge only, "hands off" turn may take more leg strength and, to some extent, greater core strength, but requires no more or less timing and coordination than pure "Euro-carves".

Both are skills learned only after a lot of time "in the trenches".

I wasnt bagging on the "EC" style.

but to argue that there isnt any weight on the rest of your body...wow...

thats why some guys who do it literally FLOP down to the snow then?

of course the edge is still engaged or you wouldnt be making a round turn across or up the fall line. you'd be slipping downhill...

but come on...

anyway, I think the folks who do the EC turn properly look amazing, but there arent many who do.

I still think that photo comparison illustrates exactly why trying to touch the snow can be detrimental.

There are guys who initiate bomber turns by falling down on their hips, but I don't think they ride with any weight on their hips as they ride around - that's just the way they fully commit to the turn. I know when I drag my hip or stick a hand in the snow that there is no weight on it. I know this because I can pick the hand or hip off the snow without the carve changing, and also because if I did put weight on it it would dig into the snow and give me a pretty sweet beat down.

Take it from a guy who's really paranoid about reinjuring previously dislocated shoulders: there's no weight on the hands.

You should go back and take a look at Lifted or Stoked or any of the EC movies. To me it's pretty clear that (aside from the money shots where they go into a carve and coast to a stop) 1) their bodies aren't usually contacting the snow and 2) there's no wieght on the arms.

Don't judge too much from the pictures - they are really only fully laid out for a split second - it's not like they are sliding around on their torsos for the entire duration of the turn.

I agree about the photo comparison - reaching for snow is bad if you break at the waist in order to do it.

Guest Tim Tuthill

Ken: That's what I think. I'm not leaning on my arms for support. The position is just part of a low turn, and yes you can get hurt doing this. You are dead on, it's just a moment in time. No guts, no medals!!!

Yes, bending at the waist on a toeside looks like a weak position, and may result in a breif hand touch.

Just as bad a position may be having your hips across the centerline of the board, "looking good" and hitting an unexpected bump. this may result in a huck-buckle as you can't absorb the shock.

It sure is a great way to hold pressure, this arched position, but Jaseys style in the photo on this thread allows much greater absorbtion, even though he is pretty much inclining, with little, or no, angulation. I like the non-committal approach he has to either arching his back, and moving his hips too far forward or leaning too much at the waist. From where he is, he can move to recover in any direction he needs to. He is also strong as ****, so he doesn't need to be as "locked out", hips forward as some of us need to in high G corners.

We sure have taken this thread to the outer limits as I'm sure we all agree that leaning the upper body over more than the edge angle you're trying to acheive is a waste.

I like to spray though, so...

Guest Tim Tuthill

Oh my God, Klug is bent at the waist in tylers pic??? Oh Oh, arm in back!! I was told to never do this!! Don't surf Tuthill, was said as I went crashing down the hill in Sun Valley on my first day on a alpine board.

in the photo you posted.....see? All he needs is the side-burns and he could be KING !!! Seriously, after giving it some thought, it kind of reminds me of the argument over roadracers dragging their knees when they corner. Kenny Roberts was one of the first to do this and at the time it was shunned as unneccessary. Barry Sheene had more of an "upright" style and kept his body close to the motorcycle. Granted motorcyclist drag their knees or "touch the pavement" as a means of lean gauge and support, so the comparison is not exact. Seems like it all boils down to a difference in style/technique between riders.

In the past I have often heard people say touching the snow is wrong.

What??? Come again. Where did that rule come from? No such thing.

You do what you are comfortable at. Your style or method may not or may work for me. It is up to you to find the right form of riding. Others can offer tips and suggestions, the do's and the don'ts...etc. In the end it is up you to do what is comfortable and how to hold the turn. Conditions, equipment, weather and your mental state all make a big difference.

Even your own body form makes a huge difference. We all have different body builds that would allow us to ride differently. Some can bend or crouch tighter then others. What a huge advantage that makes.

Me personally I love touching the snow. I think it is awesome to have the ability to go as low as you can and be in that position and hold the carve. Even the skiers are doing that now. Someone mentioned earlier that this can increase the chances of getting hurt. Well we all have our opinion and I would have to say I disagree with this. I guess it all depends on the situation you are in.

Staying low in some ways actually decreases your chances. You are already down extremely low and not going to fall any harder or lower. If you are riding standing up or even in a L position you have the height to fall down harder. Especially your upper body.

On the steeps I always make sure I am touching the snow as this helps control my speed into the turns and I feel less vibration. This also helps to add weight to your edges.

It comes down to this, just enjoy, be safe and continue to learn different ways of carving. :rolleyes:

Its defintly true that since you are very low that actually falling wont do much. Most of the injuries I've read of was not from falling, but having your hand snag on some snow or ice. I agree with you about how its all about your own style and preference. If you accept the dangers of touching the snow, then thats your choice and no one should tell you otherwise. We accept the dangers of snowboarding in general don't we?

By the way, D...I rode with Przemek/Brooklyn this weekend...He's one of the guys who does EC right. Seriously impressive.

sweet.

Im keepin out of this one...too late, I guess, but people read what they want to read and perceive it how they want.

check this out:

Image13.gif

Well i'm impressed. I had no idea you could get that low on skis. Identical positioning too.

For some reason that just looks weird to me. He looks like a spider or a crab or something!

I can vouch for Przemek's abilities as well. EC done with authority.

Yeah, if your hip is on the snow too, then you actually have to <i>try</i> to keep your hands off! I've got no problem with using the hands as "feelers" to gauge inclination. But for beginners.... DON'T PAT THE DOG!!

image.php?u=5&type=profile&dateline=1143061256

For some reason that just looks weird to me. He looks like a spider or a crab or something!

its true how it doesn't look anywhere as graceful as on a board but I would still love to be able to do that on skis. I'm gonna look into some skis that can do that. Being able to rip on skis and a board like that is really my ultimate goal. If I get good skis, i'll always be conflicted which to use first :boxing_sm