Note to New Members ×

SKWAL sighting/Where are the Skwal riders?

carverbob

Moving the discussion of Skwals (aka monocarvers) from the "for sale" section to the general carving community:

I was just curious where other "Skwalleurs" are located. I am in Boise (ride at Bogus Basin and Sun Valley), and also know of another Boise guy who rides one (mostly at Brundage Mountain).

My LaCroix Skwal Contest is going to Dr. D at Big Mountain, Montana.

The winner of BB's auction will be added.

Saw someone riding a Volkl Monocarver at Bridger last month.

There have been several riding at Copper Mountain in Colorado (Skwal had a rep there testing the waters about seven years ago).

Any others out there?

Best regards,

I have seen one on bigmountain but its wide enough to almost pass for a race board. the crazy angles and heel toe lift is the only reason I notice it. the guy is riding like a 3inch heel lift and 2inch toe lift it looks kooky. I haven't ever caught up with him to look at the board.

I have one in my basment. I use to ride back in early 00's but overall it was kind of wrong evolution path. I moved to much wider boards (like swoard), and it is much better. I dont think i will go under 19 cm waist ever again.

Anoing thing is that skwals bindings does not work for angles i use now ( i think i will have to modify them in the workshop)

There is a list of reson why wider board is better but the most imortant is that nobody ask if this is a monoski.

I have one in my basment. I use to ride back in early 00's but overall it was kind of wrong evolution path. I moved to much wider boards (like swoard), and it is much better. I dont think i will go under 19 cm waist ever again.

Anoing thing is that skwals bindings does not work for angles i use now ( i think i will have to modify them in the workshop)

There is a list of reson why wider board is better but the most imortant is that nobody ask if this is a monoski.

watcha got? we might be interested

LaCroix 180 / 15scr. It certainly is different. The first thing that hits you is the in the back seat stance. if you drop your weight over the nose like an alpine board, the nose just hooks up. The forward weight shifts are really subtle, not a poor light ride unless you ride really defensively. It's amazing how little agulation is needed, almost like EC.. If you think you get some funny remarks about your alpine board, ride a Skwal for an hour or two.

BobD

os2 will work if its 12.5 wide at the waist. otherwise you have to improvise a little. I would try getting it drilled for inserts in the 4x4 pattern and checking out some older narrow bindings like f2 or wild duck nideckers maybe. Or buy a new set of skwal TD's from fin next year.

Or better yet just send it to me and I will worry about it for you:ices_ange You'll never miss it.

I have seen OS1 with the sides cut to fit just don't expect to use them again on a board. The Cateks work well because you can adjust the heel and toe lift so easily.

Ok Skwal is:

Sort of yellow "easy Jungle"

Lenght 165

with 125

Side cut 8 m

Camber 14 mm left

Used 2 sesons, in fairly good shape.

I could sell it for 100$

Together with bindings (special skwal bindings) 200$

Anyone ?

i could post few photos if somone is interested

does it have 4x4 inserts?

we may be interested, if we get another couple of members to the demo club.

can you send pics to me & dr. d?

I have a soft copy of the manual that came with my Skwal when I bought it in '01. It has some basic instructions on set up and technique. Unfortunately, each page is bigger than the allowable size for attachments on this forum. If anyone is interested in compressing it then posting here, or posting it to another website, let me know and I will send you the files. Please just one person, as I do not want to send it multiple times. Thanks.

carverbob, what codec are you using? If the images are good and clean text, try using PNG. Otherwise, if dirty or lots of images, try 85+% quality jpeg. Once you start going below that, the disadvantage of the jpeb compression starts to show (Coiler's pics anyone?).

If you're using MSWindows, try out PhotoFiltre (not a misspelling), a free download from places like tucows.com. It has a very good quality jpeg codec, much better than what you probably go with you system.