Note to New Members ×

Submerged in 2100?

Jack M

I wonder what "Scientists" told CNN that. The fact is, as the ice in the arctic melts, the water it displaces moves in. think of it like having a glass of water with a bunch of ice in it. As the ice melts, the water level in the glass dosen't rise. Same thing with the world's oceans. The problem comes entirley from the antarctic ice cap. There are many natural phenomena that will keep the melt from being permanent however. As the icecaps melt they release enormous amounts of fresh water into the salt water of the oceans. Since the salt water is denser than the fresh water, the salt water is suppressed and the fresh floats on top, like a layered drink. The natural currents that bring warm water up (and down) from the tropics to the polat reigons will be sunk along with the salt water, thus shutting down the warm weather far away from the equator. The big idea is that by the earth warming up, it is in essence just setting up to cool back down. To put it bluntly, we're looking at another "mini" (just how mini nobody is sure yet) ice age setting in around 2070ish. I really wish that CNN and the rest of the media would stop screaming about sunken cities and global warming, it just makes everybody freak out and nobody likes that.

Before anyone asks, no Im not a climatologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But honestly, I was a lab tech in the AIRMAP program at UNH last year, building spectrometers and a really cool flying ozone content analyzer :biggthump the biggest plus of it all was that we got to attend all of these conferences at the school for free, thats where I learned this. It has been repeated in our findings at AIRMAP and at NASA and NOAA, so I don't know where the media is getting their information. Maybe its just being kept quiet because Ice Age freaks people out more than Global Warming. Like that episode of Jimmy Neutron where he causes a huge cooldown and everybody turns into cave people, like hunting caribou and hibernating and stuff. LOL I love nickelodeon.

I think You'll be OK Michelle :biggthump

________

UNIVERSAL HEALTH

I've heard one possible explanation for the unrepeatable excellence of Stradavarius violins is that they were made during a mini ice age in Europe. During that time, the trees there grew at a fairly constant and slower rate regardless of season, so the rings in the trees were more dense, more homogeneous, and more regular. That is, a winter ring was nearly the same as a summer ring. This resulted in superior violins and other wood instruments/products.

I've heard one possible explanation for the unrepeatable excellence of Stradavarius violins is that they were made during a mini ice age in Europe. During that time, the trees there grew at a fairly constant and slower rate regardless of season, so the rings in the trees were more dense, more homogeneous, and more regular. That is, a winter ring was nearly the same as a summer ring. This resulted in superior violins and other wood instruments/products.

Interesting...this is similar to why all skateboards (well all good ones) are made from maple grown around the great lakes. The uniform way the wood grows each year makes it the most prized maple for the consctuction on skateboards

The mini-ice age was around 1600, but there's plenty to argue that Renaissance occurred during a warmup period. I saw a great program on the History channel which talked about the Stradavarius violin as well.

Not mentioned on the program was the Viking settlement in Newfoundland named Vinland, after the fact they had sustainable agriculture at the settlement. Mentioned on the program was the English wine industry that existed around the time of the Renaissance. And let's not forget Hannibal marching his elephants over the Alps!

The show was great until the producers, after throwing an hour of instances in history when it was warmer than now, concluded with the global warming dogma of late.

Art Bell of "coast-to-coast am" fame wrote the "Day After Tommorrow"-it wouldn't happen in 3 days like on the movie, but, the gist of the movie is completely plausible. I've read recently that the current speed of the Gulfstream has slowed 30% in the last 50 years due to desalinization....

If we do have a sudden cool down, like over 10-30 years, you guys can hang out here in Houston. Then, road trip!!!!

Interesting...this is similar to why all skateboards (well all good ones) are made from maple grown around the great lakes. The uniform way the wood grows each year makes it the most prized maple for the consctuction on skateboards

I wonder if this same wood is in snowboards. Snowboard cores are hardwoods like maple, ash, aspen, poplar...

oh look: http://www.hardwood.org/species_guide/display_species.asp

I want a snowboard made out of Sassafras. Just so I can say it.

Skatha, even though Day After Tomorrow was obviously trotted out by the Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy, what of the observation that Wooly Mammoths have been found frozen with food in their mouth? Or was that made up too? I thought I had once learned that elsewhere.

Vast Left Wing conspiracy? When the dems can't even come up with a coherent party platform other than "we hate Bush"? And the Sierra club is losing chapters left and right? LOL

Can't discount the truly nutty, tho, Jack...you should catch a little "coast to coast am" sometime

Actually I heard the bit about the woolly mammoths, too...the answer could be Art Bell is completely right and that we all should start listening to "coast to coast am"...

Although I don't think my aura will accept...

And don't forget Wesley Streiber, Mr. Kidnapped by Aliens dood

Hmmm... gotta wonder if Mr. Mammoth was the victim of an avalanche!

Hmmmm......I think these mammoths were found in Siberia, tho

It's been plenty cold in Siberia this year, though...with magnetic north shifting from NW Canada to Siberia, I just wonder....

Oh, and the more I think about ice caps melting and sea level rising....I agree ice floating in water will not raise the water level when it melts..I think the concern is ice sitting on land melting and adding millions of gallons to the sea-like on Greenland(named by the Vikings, obviously green at one time) and Antartica. There was an article about the Kennewick man in Time magazine and the depictions of the migration showed a huge ice sheet over Canada and the northern US with an explanation that sealevel was reduced 200 feet.

Its true that the major concern lies with the land-bound ice masses, but even the one on antarctica isn't enough to raise the sea level much, maybe 4 feet at most. Plus, by the time that the arctic melts completley (there will be no more summer ice in the arctic by 2025), the climate will already be shifting towards cooling down because of the desalinization of the oceans, then the world gets really cold for awhile while we all finally ride the Florida Alps and laugh with joy as the mountains get snow again.

________

Marijuana Test

Its true that the major concern lies with the land-bound ice masses, but even the one on antarctica isn't enough to raise the sea level much, maybe 4 feet at most. Plus, by the time that the arctic melts completley (there will be no more summer ice in the arctic by 2025), the climate will already be shifting towards cooling down because of the desalinization of the oceans, then the world gets really cold for awhile while we all finally ride the Florida Alps and laugh with joy as the mountains get snow again.

I've been to FLA-it's bona fide flatter than TX(we have the Davis Mtns, at least)

Ice skate the Okefenokee?

then the world gets really cold for awhile while we all finally ride the Florida Alps and laugh with joy as the mountains get snow again.

We're gonna need tectonic shifts like those that caused the Himalayas in order to get mountains in Florida :lol:

I do not believe that Greenland was ever green... but that it was so named by Viking Development Corp in order to prop up land values and promote tourism! Much like North Dakota which wants to change its name start using palm trees on its brochures. Hey buddy, I've got some glacier to sell!

Don't forget the asteroid that's supposed to hit us too

I would be more afraid of the Vocano before any asteroid. Remember pieces of Long Valley Caldera (Mammoth Mountain) ended up in Nebraska when it last blew it's the same type of volcano as Yellowstone (Yellowstone blew 4 times the amount of material as LVC). Explosive type comparison shows that this type of volcano makes Mt St Helens look like a minor hicup :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fortunately, yellowstone isnt predicted to blow its stack anytime soon. A megatsunami could happen at any moment, though! (hundreds, maybe thousands of meeters high as compared to the usual 1-2)

which is why i dont worry about global warming. while we have the technology, we might as well choose the cause of armageddon.

I figure the earth will do just fine...it's a closed system, we can't perturb one thing too much without causing something else to happen.

Plus, population estimates have us peaking at 12 billion and then dropping off to 3 billion in 200 years...nobody is having babies anymore....

Actually, most of the industrialized world had dropped below that 2.0 average births per couple.....

and, Houston is teeming with Hispanic minorities...most of which cannot buy car seats for their abundant offspring....don't want to sound bigoted but I bet very few here have been bitched out by illegals for not knowing Spanish as much as I have...

Plus, we grew by about 150,000 from displaced New Orleanians-most of whom are not welcomed back by their old city-thank you Ray Nagin....He wants a chocolate city as long as the denizens are middle class.

A very telling comment-I was taking care of this guy who had this awful foot infection from wading in the post Katrina floodwaters. He mentioned he was grateful that we had been so nice to him-the nurses, the docs, etc. I told him that Houston and N.O. are very similiar-seaside towns with big ports and lots of oil industry and, no doubt, N.O. would have done the same for us had the positions been reversed. He said, "no they wouldn't-you guys have too many minorities!"