Note to New Members ×

base cleaner

skatha

I'm curious what others think re: base cleaner. The maint. video I have from tognar recommends it, as do a few knowledgable folks I know. Nek and others don't. what's the deal?

ps why do you call houston "helltown?" good friend lives in "h town" and loves it. we do make fun of him a lot though -)

Well I think citrus base cleaner does have its place: stripping all wax before a base grind or any situation where you need to remove all wax from a base. However the main conern is overdoing it and damaging your base in the process. I know I killed the ptex on two boards from my use of base cleaner. I had no idea what I was doing and really layed it on thick, left it on there for a while, and scrubbed real hard to get all of the dirt/wax out. Quite a dumb thing to do. It dried out the base and did not allow for wax to properly absorb into the ptex after that.

If you are very careful, you could probably get away with using base cleaner on your ptex to do some cleaning, but very sparingly of course. It seems too easy to overdo it and do some damage. My opinion is that it would just be easier and safer to just hotscrape instead of worring about damaging your base with harsh chemicals.

Barry,

A base grind took care of the problem, but before that the ptex refused to absorb wax. Even though a I gave the board a good wax/scrape, the base would look dried out and oxidized after one run.

So in the hands of a dumbass like myself, base cleaner can be a bad thing. :smashfrea

I'm sure it has its place in a tuning pro's toolset, it just has to be utilized properly.

I used citrus cleaner/simple green on the topsheet. The swix stuff I used was also citrus based, but tougher on the greasy stuff than my orange/citrus cleaner I use at home....

And I don't leave it on.....

And I followup with a wax, either a regular coat for the next trip or a spring coat.....

And I call Houston "Helltown" because it's hot, humid and flat......

I'm like an apple tree, I need a certain number of days in subfreezing temps or I just don't thrive well.....

Fortunately, my neighborhood is flush with loblolly pine or I'd truly go crazy :smashfrea

Dont use base cleaner, it is super bad for your base. Ask ANY knowledgable wax tech. Go get some Dominator base prep wax and use that to hot scrape with. Base cleaner will strip you base totally of wax. Simply waxing after you use it isn't enough. It takes many, many, many waxing to totally saturate your base, and you will wipe the slate clean with one use of base cleaner.

Guest dragon fly jones

Phil nails it once again - a soft wax is to be used, warm scrape, I usually do it twice and then start over again with several levels of wax on the freshly prepped base.

It does take time and your all fumed up so use a breathing filter mask and hop to it. Your board will love you and the bonus is that it will glide faster, yes faster longer and in the long run perform to expectation with just a little extra love. Treat it like you would treat your number one woman, car, motorcycle, bike or your mom.

Even as a purely recreational rider I've found the warm scrape method worthwhile. I do a lot of spring riding which means a lot of dirt in the base, and hot scraping is how I keep 'em running nice. I've been using SVST yellow Ultra-Wax that's their 36-50* flavor of their "cheap" wax ($10 for 10 ounces). After warm scraping, I do a couple of layers of "normal" application with the same wax, and then one application with a nmnore "normal" temp wax. The warm-temp stuff seems to hold up nicely underneaththe "normal" temp stuff. Ask any of the skiers who I pass on the runouts :)

How many people are willing to pay the extra cost?

Its sure nice not dealing with wax.I like tuning my own boards after having shop monkeys almost destroy some of my favorite sticks there aren't to many places I trust besides PTC but thats a long way from home.

Frank

Try Alpine Base and Edge in Boulder CO is much closer 303-887-8762