Note to New Members ×

Latest "TINKLER" out of the presses!

Bryan,

Is that a split like your other board? I can't tell from the pictures.

I hope you guys are getting dumped on like we are, over 3 feet this week, snowing now and continuing into next weekend.

Been totally enjoying my new baby too! I'd post pics but I've given the demo fleet including my own babies to the boys at my local mountain. As you know, the Tankers just kill it in this stuff!

Have fun on your new ride!

Bryan,

Is that a split like your other board? I can't tell from the pictures.

I hope you guys are getting dumped on like we are, over 3 feet this week, snowing now and continuing into next weekend.

Been totally enjoying my new baby too! I'd post pics but I've given the demo fleet including my own babies to the boys at my local mountain. As you know, the Tankers just kill it in this stuff!

Have fun on your new ride!

Ryan. No, not a split tail and no rods. Long story. Tell you on the phone some time. Looks really good , beefy too!

Yep. 14"-17" last night , lots of snow on Mt Hood. Doesn't sound like Mt Bachelor got allot. Super dry pow too. Strange snow.

Talk soon!!

Bryan

I can barely type through my tears! That's a beauty board you've got.

Please post action shots soon.

Mark

Hey Mark. Thanks , it is a really good looking board. Opposite colors as the 203cm split tail. I would love to ride it in the morning. Just too much fresh snow by the looks of it! That and I don't sit still for photos very good , at least that is what my Mom used to say :eplus2:

Like most folks. I enjoy having the photos later, but hate getting them taken.

Thanks for asking.

Bryan

Short vid of me at Mt Bachelor a week or so ago on the big board , taken by Galen on his point and shoot digital.

Ryan. No, not a split tail and no rods. Long story. Tell you on the phone some time. Looks really good , beefy too!

Ah - that must be the one that is suspiciously similar in shape to another 185 you own...

Yep. 14"-17" last night , lots of snow on Mt Hood. Doesn't sound like Mt Bachelor got allot. Super dry pow too. Strange snow.

We had no new, but the wind redistributed evrything very nicely. Backside of Summit was incredible - snow so light that "tracked out" was irrelevant, face shots all day. One of the bowls between NW and Outback was the same way. I did 48,358 vertical feet yesterday - probably a personal record. My legs are very, very sore today! (You can "track your turns" by pass number at Bachelor's web site - no need to add, unless they miss some of your lift rides :rolleyes:

Is the stance width as wide as it looks in the photos?

I heard tell that Tinkler is making someone the "longest snowboard ever". Is this true? What length? Who ordered it? Someone up in Bend is what I heard. Who is that? Mike T? Doug D? Hmmm. Inquiring minds want to know.

Is the stance width as wide as it looks in the photos?

I heard tell that Tinkler is making someone the "longest snowboard ever". Is this true? What length? Who ordered it? Someone up in Bend is what I heard. Who is that? Mike T? Doug D? Hmmm. Inquiring minds want to know.

It ain't me. I'm nowhere near skilled enough to handle such a beast. I've seen Doug's Tinkler 222 and that thing would kick the crap out of me.

Very pretty :)

I noticed on your gallery that this board has an anti-progressive sidecut -- what does that mean? I'm not really 100% sure on what a progressive sidecut is either. Could someone enlighten me please?

tom.

correct me if im wrong, but a progressive sidecut is a sidecut made up of an infinite number of radiuses (radii?) within the same sidecut. in theory, the harder you press, the smaller the sidecut you ride.

correct me if im wrong, but a progressive sidecut is a sidecut made up of an infinite number of radiuses (radii?) within the same sidecut.

I always thought "progressive" was a catch-all term for "anything not circular", especially when the board maker doesn't want to reveal the math of ttheir true shape because it's either their secret sauce, or would turn people off if they knew what it really was :rolleyes:

in theory, the harder you press, the smaller the sidecut you ride.

Even with a circular sidecut, that is true - you turn tighter by riding it harder.

by that definition, i believe anti progressive must be one single circle/radius? or is progressive getting tighter as you go towards the center and anti progressive getting wider? construction terms get confusing.

I think Gecko is onto it -- I did some searching on the net, and on this page (http://www.k2skis.com/technology/tech_iframe.asp?Type=Skis&ProductID=80) found:

Standard sidecut theory is based on the belief that they were to have a completely radial arc that is to say if you followed the curve of the side of the ski the tip would match the tail. This works well on narrower waisted skis, but becomes overpowering on wider skis, especially in variable conditions. Progressive sidecut has different curve shapes along different parts of the ski. Starting at the tail, as you move up the length of the ski to the tip, sidecut progressively increases. What this results in is the confident, quick initiation we desire for hard snow performance at the tip of the ski through underfoot, but with a more forgiving, less aggressive turn shape from underfoot through the tail, allowing easier release in crud and powder.

So the reverse would mean that the board would have larger sidecut on the tail than on the tip. Curious what it means for how the board rides.

This is a joke, but taken literally the reverse would be "less forgiving, more aggressive turn shape, allowing stronger hold in ice", right?

tom.

Thanks I thought that was what it was. In truth the concept of elpitical sidecuts kinda turns me off...there are so many ways to use radials and taper adding mathmatical sidecuts into the build is more than I care for. This however is from a building perspective not a buying one

Interesting all this technical stuff. I just only want to know how this one rides, so that I can decide to buy it or not. Just hesitating between this new Tinkler 185 and the new model of VIRUS, the VAMPIRE (175 cm).

So if there is any input on those boards please inform me/us.

Greets, Hans.

(not to mention a Tomahawk Titanal for half the price of the boards mentioned above, the world is getting more complicated with all this new exclusive stuff around, what a luxury).

Thanks I thought that was what it was. In truth the concept of elpitical sidecuts kinda turns me off...there are so many ways to use radials and taper adding mathmatical sidecuts into the build is more than I care for

My 3 faves - Donek, Coiler, Madd - use 3 different shapes - parabolic (quadratic), circular, and elliptical. They all make their respective sidecut shape work frick'n awesome. Ride 'em and see... I bet you find many other characteristics of the ride more discussion-worthy.

Interesting all this technical stuff. I just only want to know how this one rides, so that I can decide to buy it or not. Just hesitating between this new Tinkler 185 and the new model of VIRUS, the VAMPIRE (175 cm).

So if there is any input on those boards please inform me/us.

Greets, Hans.

For you a Virus would be waaayyy cheaper, for those of us in the states the the Tinker is close to the same cost.

Side cut...I was mostly refering to constructing boards. I have spent hours in a beach parking lot plotting radial sidecuts. I have no desire to plot mathmatical sidecuts (call me lazy if you want) or learn their implementation

For you a Virus would be waaayyy cheaper, for those of us in the states the the Tinker is close to the same cost

A Vampire will cost me about euro 1400 with sendingcosts.

The Tinkler 185 will cost me about euro 1500 with sendingcosts, and then the taxes and other sh....... about 25%. So that's making the difference.

So not a very huge difference. But there is a difference. Just wanted to know if this TINKLER is as friendly to ride as a VAMPIRE, which I am told that the VAMPIRE is: a friendly carv' cruiser.

Would be welcome to my quiver since my new Coiler RC 180 II is a board that needs very precise riding. No mistakes on this board or you gonna be punished.

Greets, Hans.