Note to New Members ×

Building your own Boards

Chubz

Just wondering if any of you folks have delved into making your own boards? I have been looking at some misc. websites that go over making your own skis and boards and it seems do-able with a little bit of cash flow to build personal use boards. Not looking at any mass production, just tinkering during the summer for something to do.

Besides that the obvious folks who have gone out on their own, seeing if any of you have tried it and if so, please share challenges and tips if you have any.

Just think it would be just dandy riding a deck I made myself.

Funny enough when I ran it by my wife a few weeks ago, she didnt shake her head at me as with most of my other ideas I throw at her. She said go for it.

Thanks

Greg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was drinking one night and had the same Idea. I bounced it off my wife and she was OK with it.

I think the most important thing in making your own board is to make sure the P-tex is on the bottom. I hear if you mix the topsheet and the p-tex the boards dont slide all that well.

:lol:

My brother was given a home made board done in a vaccum bag but it only lasted a season before it delaminated. I am sure it was the qualilty control and possibly the glue they used.

I do know that you need to have some way of letting the air trapped in the middle parts of the bag to migrate out to the suction pump. (some mesh or something)

I have't done it, but I know a guy who does... and I've spent a little time (3 runs or so) on one of this boards and thomas_m (who posts here) already owns one. I've studied his workshop and interrogated him profusely and am now therefore an expert on the subject!

Actually, we just talked and I learned some interesting stuff.

The key thing I learned is that it's do-able. The materials are available, the tools are available (or at least, the materials and tools you need to make your tools), so it is within reach of anybody who is willing to invest a lot of time and money turning a garage (about one parking space's worth) into a small snowboard factory. I am not such a person, but I'm stoked to know one across town.

If you use firehose to make a press, how to do you distribute the force from the firehose evenly over the whole board? I've heard of that approach, but never in enough detail for me to understand it.

If you use firehose to make a press, how to do you distribute the force from the firehose evenly over the whole board? I've heard of that approach, but never in enough detail for me to understand it.

using a firehose is actually an old Idea; I'm pretty sure Winterstick invented it...at least thats who we (Flite) stole it from. You need a mold that has a gap roughly within a half inch of equidistant for the whole opening. As for how to make the mold...we band saw'd 3-4 sheets of plywood bolted together until had it wide enough and then bolt all 12-14 shets together and sand smooth. We were doing small volume production so we bondo'd the opening areas but in truth that isn't really neccessary. A small compressor is all that's needed to maintail air pressue 30psi in the hose makes a huge amount of pressure when confined by the mold (beware squirting hot glue). If you have any other questions I will try to answer them

Returning to building snowboards is a lottery dream for me...or maybe retirement if I can find a niche to build for.

A vacuum pump, vernier calpiers, router and jigsaw can take you all the way to a World Championship or two.

The Olympics may require the firehose.

Vacuum is plenty good for regular construction boards but some Titanal constructions need to be pneumatic pressed.

The assembly is pretty straightforward given the info you can get online. Design is what takes all the trial and error. It was easy for those of us who started long ago as if it was thick in the middle, thin at the ends and slippery side down, it was a success. Now you are already spoiled by the 10 years of development and have to try to match that. On the flip side, theres lots of stuff to copy and that makes total sense when you are doing first attempts.

dude you have your niche

I will ride a gecko special, you just gotta build it

If I build again it will be a psuedo BX/AM type board somewhere between 167-177cm in length. Somthing to be ridden by either hard soft boots or soft hard boots targeted to the east coast because that's where I live.

I have read what types of wood are being used for boards. Any input for that for core and stingers? Also what type of glue is used to adhere wood for making cores and what type for the different layers of the board itself (topsheet, core, etc)

Looking to build decks for heavier riders 195+

Maple and Ash are two good core woods, mixxing them makes a lightweight and stiff core, stringers depend on whether it's for looks or for strength, mahogany is good for both. If I was just building a few boards I'd order the cores from someone like Sean Martin. Glues are dependent on what you want and what you are glueing, whether you are going to heat the board to cure it also plays a part.

Parts is parts......

Here is a good place to start for parts.

www.snowboardmaterials.com

I am planning on sourcing my own.....

Plus, if you have some old boards you can get ahold of, cut them up! It's a GREAT learning tool....

Personally I lean toward sandwich construction, I really like the high tech side of things so I am looking to get pretty fancy to see what I can really do.:eplus2:

Its hard, but very rewarding to ride your own stick.

Bruce is right if your not using metal a vacum bag is all you need.

Beware however of the never ending cost.

One board can be thousands of dollars to make and it can all expoled in one turn.

Plus if you have never seen or done it before you may need help for the first few.

Guest needanswer

why not work something out with a shop owner? Pay the guy to show you everything or perhaps work for the owner for a week and learn on the job.

Use the equipment after work and buy the parts at cost.

if all you wanted was to ride your own deck (not create more decks to sell) , I think you'll save more time and money if you have the help of a shop.

also , I think the toughest/costliest part of doing it on your own is the learning curve and each failure will cost you. there are failures like manufacturing issues, then there are failures like the board doesn't ride as well as you like. Both can be minimized by the help of an expert.

Frankly , being anal about details, if I was going to do it , i would have to do it right. Just can't imagine turning out something that's flimsy or doesn't ride well.

I'd be wary of all those epoxy fumes, VERY detrimental to the brain cells. I think I'd rather make my own bindings, or maybe make my own car to drive to the slopes than attempt my own board. But that's just me, maybe I value my health too much, or maybe I'm just not the adventurous type. But I have made my own motorcycles, probably a lot easier than snowboards too.

But I have made my own motorcycles, probably a lot easier than snowboards too.

FROM SCRATCH????????? :biggthump

I would LOVE to build my own bike from the ground up, except the front and rear shocks. I would love to build a single version of the Britten!!!!

I think it all comes down to how much you want to learn. Will you do this through trial and error, or just try and copy a couple of designs and figure out why they how are they are.

Personally, I like the trial and error side of things, taking notes, getting feeback from other riders, even doing some analytical testing to figure out specific variables.

To each there own I guess.........

If all you want is a board for YOU...... Get a custom. MUCH cheaper.

I participated in a production run last nite so I am also a bonerfido expert.

the firehose thing was used in this situation with a piano key setup up to distribute force laterally. like four hoses ran longitudinally and then one inch boards on edge with square tubing on the bottom all cut to fit the contour of the board. more keys for longer board, less for short etc. IT had an aluminum contour mold on bottom side to press the camber and nose etc. the bottom was raised up on hydraulics then air pressure was used to actually press down on the board. the hard part would be the heat. the press is also where the glue is cured by heat exact temps and then held for the prescribed cooling period determined by the glue in question. the board is laid out sandwich style with glue between each layer. the layout is set up on a flexible aluminum sheet routed for the edge shape of the board.when all layers are done the edges are held in place by four sheets of aluminum screwed down outside the edges and shaped to fir the contour of the board. insert in press and heat slash press at like 6 tons for 12 minutes.

the tooling unless you are a metal wiz with your own shop was like $12,000/ board design. that would include the bottom mold and the flexiplate arrangement routed to your preffered size and shape. I have no idea if you can get board materials in small ammounts or not. It pays if you turn out 40-50 boards for your closest friends and charge them 400 bones or so. repeat yearly.

I've always wanted to build boards but Bruce won't hire me. One idea I had was to get a few guys together with similar interests and do it over a number of weeks over beers. You can share ideas and fixed costs.

The epoxy fumes can be minimized with respirators and fume hoods. Besides, what's a little brain damage between friends?

Ken wears all black now, he's riding a Titanal topsheet board, usually on that 6 pack slope that you like, or maybe Turkey Shoot, a couple of runs to the west on Moonstone. Full beard too, those pics must be at least 5 years old!

He's a good guy to know if you like maple syrup, he's a multi medal winner.

why not work something out with a shop owner? Pay the guy to show you everything or perhaps work for the owner for a week and learn on the job.

Use the equipment after work and buy the parts at cost.

if all you wanted was to ride your own deck (not create more decks to sell) , I think you'll save more time and money if you have the help of a shop.

also , I think the toughest/costliest part of doing it on your own is the learning curve and each failure will cost you. there are failures like manufacturing issues, then there are failures like the board doesn't ride as well as you like. Both can be minimized by the help of an expert.

Frankly , being anal about details, if I was going to do it , i would have to do it right. Just can't imagine turning out something that's flimsy or doesn't ride well.

i would love to do this. does anybody allow this? donek? i think this would be a cool summer trip. i built my own kayak and paddle, assemble my bicycles, id love to add a snowboard to the list.