Note to New Members ×

I thought this was a free country

Guest needanswer

Guest needanswer

Why do people write that Linsey Jacobellis did the right thing by having some style?

Why do people write that Linsey did the wrong thing by showboating?

Did she owe it to the stylish snowboard crowd to represent the freestyle spirit?

Did she owe it to sponsors to play it safe?

Did she owe it to the US to get a gold?

Did she owe it to her parents to do what they’ve instilled in her?

Did she owe it to others who did not make the Olympics to be more serious?

What matters most should NOT be what others think. Not the crowd. Not sponsors. Not Bob Costas. Not the coach.

I think the most important person she should answer to is herself. If she could do it over, would she do the same?

If so, good for her. Not because she was representing or it’s good for the viewers, but because she did not hold back herself. There should be no regrets if she would have done the same if she could turn back time.

If not, then too bad for her. Not because she owe the sponsor or US something, but because in her view, the decision to grab the board was a mistake. She would not have done if she could do it over.

Are your actions free, if they are judged by everyone?

I guaranfreakingtee you she would not do that grab over again given the chance, nor will she ever attempt another stalled moneyshot grab in another boardercross ever again.

You're right, the worst part is she has to answer to herself for what she did. But don't pretend for a second she doesn't or shouldn't care what other people think of her. You don't compete if you don't care what other people think.

Guest Don Speziale

We all just talking here. Freedom to express our opinion, right. You think she is going to care less about what the press or people are saying. Perhaps she will. You never know. I am sure deep in heart she was disappointed in not getting the gold medal. Life goes on. And she wont forget what happened in Turin.

The best thing is she didn't get hurt and got a silver medal. Gold, Bronze, 4th or last place, it doesn't matter. She work hard in the end and show she is a sport!

Guest jameswolf
I guaranfreakingtee you she would not do that grab over again given the chance, nor will she ever attempt another stalled moneyshot grab in another boardercross ever again.

I don't know what is going on her in mind, but I am sure she will face each competition differently. Making a mistake like that can change a person for the better or worse.

We all just talking here. Freedom to express our opinion, right. You think she is going to care less about what the press or people are saying. Perhaps she will. You never know. I am sure deep in heart she was disappointed in not getting the gold medal. Life goes on. And she wont forget what happened in Turin.

The best thing is she didn't get hurt and got a silver medal. Gold, Bronze, 4th or last place, it doesn't matter. She work hard in the end and show she is a sport!

Exactly. USA and Canada are free country, we say what we want. We are free to discuss any matter. She did what she wanted and was not punished, so she is form a free country.

Nothing to see here, move along...

During that particular race, she was the best by far. She was so far ahead of the competition, it was an awesome race for her. But then came the last jump :barf: and she went for it :barf::flamethro

I would respect her if she came clean with her actions, "grabing her rail for stability"? or something like that was her explaination? THAT is pure BS in my opinion :flamethro

out

she can say whatever she wants, none of us know what her intentions really were on that last jump, we can speculate but will never know for sure. losing respect for an amazing athlete because they said something that you believe to be false is rediculous, you should respect an athlete for there abilities and the fact still remains that she is an amazing snowboarder. and she has an olympic silver medal, which is something most people will never experience.

losing respect for an amazing athlete because they said something that you believe to be false is rediculous, you should respect an athlete for there abilities

When Pedro Martinez started talking trash about the Red Sox the instant he crossed the New York border, I lost all respect for him.

And the comment someone made about doing this for herself and not caring what other people think is incorrect. If you don't care what other people think, you don't compete. The very definition of competition is the drive to be acknowleged as the best (or at least good) by your peers and anyone else paying attention.

Lindsey DID take responsibility for her actions-she was in an interview with Jim Lampley and she flat out said that she was completely lost in the moment and didn't think...

am I the only person who saw this interview?

Yes, we live in a free country and yes we can express our opinion and yes I am so glad that we have the time and energy to be able to talk about snowboarding.....

If a particular poster wants people to stop talking about a certain snowboarder, then NOT throwing up a thread is the best way to do it!

I couldn't disagree with you more, Jack...

The reason one should compete is to prove things to oneself...and seek to earn the respect of others by the way the game is played. If you are doing it the other way, you are just plain wrong.

That being said...

To put a little style into the final run...looking for the cover of the wheaties box (where Lindsay would probably end up if she landed)...when leading by a significant margin is showboating, to a degree, but also shows a love of the sport and a recognition that this is fun.

I very much think we should all LIGHTEN UP!

To put a little style into the final run...looking for the cover of the wheaties box (where Lindsay would probably end up if she landed)...when leading by a significant margin is showboating, to a degree, but also shows a love of the sport and a recognition that this is fun.

In most sports, don't you showboat *after* you cross the finish line / score the toucdown / hit the home run / win the gold medal?

You don't compete if you don't care what other people think.

you may want rethink this statement or put it in more context. i know a ton of people who dont give a damn about what other people think. they race against the clock for personal achievement.

i was in a race this summer with 2000 other people, you think finisher number 1500 gives a damn what other people think of them then? sure maybe the top 100 do, but the other 1900 are racing to beat or set their best time.

you may want rethink this statement or put it in more context. i know a ton of people who dont give a damn about what other people think. they race against the clock for personal achievement.

If they didn't care what people think, they'd just use a stopwatch and "race" themselves whenever they felt the urge.

i was in a race this summer with 2000 other people, you think finisher number 1500 gives a damn what other people think of them then?

Absolutely. In a big race like that where you have no chance of winning, but you do it anyway (like a marathon or something) you do it just so you can tell other people that you did it. Maybe you even put one of those "26.2" oval stickers on your car too. If you didn't care what people think about you, you'd just step outside your door one day and run 26.2 miles and time yourself, and keep your piehole shut about it.

Hey, I have no problem with people who care what others think about them - I obviously do, and I think it's human nature. My beef is with people who do, but claim they don't. That's just phony.

If they didn't care what people think, they'd just use a stopwatch and "race" themselves whenever they felt the urge.

Absolutely. In a big race like that where you have no chance of winning, but you do it anyway (like a marathon or something) you do it just so you can tell other people that you did it. Maybe you even put one of those "26.2" oval stickers on your car too. If you didn't care what people think about you, you'd just step outside your door one day and run 26.2 miles and time yourself, and keep your piehole shut about it.

Hey, I have no problem with people who care what others think about them - I obviously do, and I think it's human nature. My beef is with people who do, but claim they don't. That's just phony.

have you ever done any type of race you weren't sure you could finish when you started training for it? if you havent raced you shouldnt be commenting on why people race as your pants are muffling.

i thought you rowed? played soccer? wasnt there a big difference between a "practice" game and real game (soccer)?

it sounds as if you havent raced where you were not on a team. because if you had you know there is a BIG difference between just timing yourself and being ready to race for the race day. all people dont race because they care what others think bottom line. people race to raise money, for personal motivation, to accomplish a certain goal and for a ton of other reasons.

its not so black and white.

Jack...

I thikn you are missing a big part of the reason to compete. Competing against others is not for showing off (and if it is, then why so concerned about showboating), rather to see where you stand. there are very many humble competitors out there. I know when people ask me how good I am snowboarding, hte answer is that I can get down the hill OK. if they continue to ask, I anwer direst questions, but don't wlk into a room full of boarders and announce myself. If they ask abot how good I am at golf, I either tell them handicap, or more likely that I can get around the course.

Yet every time I strap in for a race, or pick up the clubs, I am fiercly competitive, with myself. I want to ride, or play, to the best of abilities. In Team sports, I can hold my head high at the end of the game, win or lose, if I know I left nothing on the field.

I agree that there are many people who compete for the sole reason of showing how good they are, and I believe that they miss the true essence of sport.

In 2001 I was compenting in Poland for the World University Games. During the bronze medal match, one swiss rider was kicking-ass. On the final run of the slalom, his austrian competitor ended up falling half-way down and he noticed this two gates before the finish...and started celebrating. He then tore through a pannel and fell (hard). So as he was hicking back up to make the gate and was totally freaking out, the other rider passed him and finished ahead. Now in the end the Austrian rider had already missed a gate earlier, but for a few minutes you could see the utter disbelief on the swiss riders face...

Finish the race then cheer. Nothing wrong with letting-up for the last few turns, but wait till you cross before not paying attention.

-Gord